Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have searched and haven't seen much about this..(even though the precentral search has been buggy today), but am I the only person that has noticed that the PHONE APP is not up to par??? (that was a joke) Dialing, answering, even searching contacts from phone app and choosing a person to call is slow and cumbersome.

I mean I am a Pre advocate but OF ANY OF THE APPS the phone app needs to be rock solid and fast! I am not talking features (I know there are shortcomings there and I am sure updates are coming), but the LAG during dialing, answering and even hanging up is frustrating and unprofessional. I have hung up on too many people because I answer the phone (I thought) then hit the button again (because I must have missed the button it,..right?) then as the phone catches up it answers then hangs up. Same with dialing numbers and the time for a number to register or worse I have saved vmails cause I hit my "erase message" key..it doesn't register then it automatically saves the voicemail. Then I have to cycle through all voicemails to re-delete it. Drives me nuts.

So this is not just a rant (really!) but also a query to others to see if anyone has any Phone App "optimizations." Here is what I have tried....

1) restart the phone (thus no other app loaded)
    2) take off background pic
    3) turned OFF the sound
    4) removed the caller ID's
    4) done the "speedy Phone App" dance

Note: If you launch the phone app and "wait" eventually it speeds up to your touch. However if the phone app is NOT launched or maybe launched but not the focused app, and the phone rings (incoming call) ....answering the call is not smooth. (buttons don't respond, if you touch again when it catches up you get a double tap which may hang your call up)

So If you have suggestions or comments please post. I was hoping that imminent WebOS update(s) (like the upcoming 1.1) would address this but so far no "news." (though I am having web security certificate issues on enterprise networks so the 1.1 update is welcomed...)

Misery loves company....let me know your findings!

thanks

DT
    The phone app IS slow as molasses. Don't know why? And scrolling through the phone log is not smooth at all. They need to get some serious caching going on. I also have issues with incoming calls...stuff appears all out of sync and then takes a second to respond to your touch. Unacceptable.
    The phone app needs attention, no doubt. If I leave it open, it's ok. But it's not up to par right now when launching, speed dialing, and hanging up.
    Last edited by mikah912; 07/09/2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Phone app sucks all around, SLOW as HEL L. Maddeningly so
    Pretty much agreed. However the phone app isn't the only one that is like this. Email, calendar and the browser all chug and are slow especially when scrolling.
    Yes, I have the same problem...very irritating.
    my apps didnt slow down until i loaded 4 gigs of music
  8.    #8  
    Understood that other apps are "sluggish" as well...my point is that at the root the Pre is a PHONE. So answering a phone call, putting in your PIN or Credit Card # when you touch the Keypad should be ROCK solid and responsive. Waiting an extra nano second to type a calendar event....annoying, having the music player slowly respond to your song selection...irritating... but missing a call because your phone is not responding.... unacceptable. We often wait for callbacks from (Sprint, haha) customer service, or your Dr, or dentist or spouse and when we are there actively pressing the screen and miss the call....... that I am sorry, is unproductive. The other "Apps" I am patient, I too have a long Palm phone history and realize this is a 1.0 device, but the phone app needs to work.

Hey foamfiller...thanks..I too have about 4GB of music..I'll remove some of my data and see what that does....

thanks folks....

keep em commin'

DT
    yes!! also when on facebook i cant open any new cards.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Slower than a backwards turtle! In fact I specifically came here today to ***** about how unacceptable the delay when answering a call is. the device itself seems to be laggy so sliding the green button to answer sometimes lags and other times it appears to answer but i don't actually hear anything for several seconds. I certainly do not recall this unacceptable lag from the beginning. Anyone have evidence of this being caused by the updates? I have 6.3gb of free space, I have rebooted the phone to no avail. I typically have no cards open at all jsut in case and its still laggy. Email is also laggy and slow I have deleted many a message by mistake due to the lag factor, to bad there is no "undo" option for that suspect that is due to various mail clients etc.

I must admit I did root my phone but the only change I made was deleting the nascar app. Could that have had any affect? I certainly doubt it.

Anyway, I am glad to hear i'm not the only impatient one. I sure feel like a dumb-*** holding this thing to my head saying hello 5 times before I hear anything on the other end though.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    agreed. should of been fixed in 1.01 (or working in 1.00!)
    I have been having tis problem also. I thought it was just me but coming from an iphone 2G I still see a major slowdown at responsiveness to everything compared to the iphone. I have but them side by side and looked at scrolling and nothing on my pre is as fluid as the iphone no matter what I try. The phone lags horribly, music selections take forever to play, calendar takes like 5-10 seconds to load, GPS is sometimey, scrolling in call-logs is horrible but the pgone is fast as hell when it comes to webpage loading. But falls short of what I expected as far as this phone. I really want to love the Pre but its just not really helping me out with all the flaws. Honestly why does the notifications kill your ear when you are on the phone? Seriously....the phone just seems to freeze up a lot for no reason not for long but I guess I would call them HICCUPS and those **** me off. I hope all this stuff can be fixed with updates or I think people are gonna get pissed off at the Pre really quick.
    Starting programs is very slow, and the phone takes what seems like years to restart. Oddly enough it seems to take the same amount of time regardless of the program. Contacts takes the same amount of time as Pandora for example. However once a program is opened its very fast. I think it has to do with how they optimized the operating system, but if they want to compete it is something that needs improvement.
    I am by no means saying go buy an iphone because thatphone is wayyy overpriced... But do a comparison with the two OS's and you will see what I mean. How much better Palm can and should make their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellie View Post
    I am by no means saying go buy an iphone because thatphone is wayyy overpriced... But do a comparison with the two OS's and you will see what I mean. How much better Palm can and should make their products.
    Over priced? Twice the storage for the same as the Pre is anything but over priced. If any device is over priced one could argue it would be the Pre.
    I mean as far as the service is concerned. Not the phone itself.
    You guys must be a bunch of iPhone fanboys. Psych!

Yeah that's the way it is. I bought the Pre for a number of reasons, one of which was to upgrade from my terribly laggy (but incredibly functional) BB Flip.

I'm keeping it too, despite many disappointments thus far. I just hope the next update is a substantial one. Keep speaking the truth, Palm needs to hear it.
    I really do think this problem is relatively new. In particular, I remember being amazed and very happy with how fast the phone app was when I first got my Pre (on 6/6). And I'm quite certain that I've only noticed a slowdown "lately," which probably means since 1.0.3.

Also, things do start out snappier after a reboot, which makes me think that there's either a memory leak or some process that's killing the CPU. Could also account for battery life issues, but that's another discussion.

Really looking forward to the next update to see if this is resolved.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I really do think this problem is relatively new. In particular, I remember being amazed and very happy with how fast the phone app was when I first got my Pre (on 6/6). And I'm quite certain that I've only noticed a slowdown "lately," which probably means since 1.0.3.

Also, things do start out snappier after a reboot, which makes me think that there's either a memory leak or some process that's killing the CPU. Could also account for battery life issues, but that's another discussion.

Really looking forward to the next update to see if this is resolved.
    I think you are partially right but I think it was due to the fact that we were soo amazed at the phones OS that we werent even thinking about the other stuff but I do remember the call log lagging a lot. I think they will get it together. I do find it hard to see on the small screen though sometimes as it seems like the phone displays too much text for the small real estate. I always find myself zooming in and turning to landscape. But Im sure the next Palm device will fix all of that!!!!
    I also experience lag time with the dial pad when entering, say, your bank account number while on the phone. It can be very annoying! My Instinct seemed to have a better-working (but not better looking) dialpad.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast