Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Yup!

Had a call today where a customer called in complaining about damage. Legitimate complaint btw. Naturally... because the customer was chewing my ear off, after I (supposedly) disconnected the call I called him an "ahole". The lag from the phone allowed the customer to hear me call him an "ahole". I spent the rest of the day making excuses, like "I was talking to someone else". heh...

Funny now but that wouldn't have happened on the cheesiest of phones.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Phone is super slow now. I'm so pissed about this. It should be a phone first everything else second.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I decided against windows mobile due to it's sluggishness. This phone is on par with WinMo in terms of speed. I may switch back to my treo 755p
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    How much of this is related to all the apps being javascript?

Javascript, as it's intended to be run as an interpreted language, is *slow*. Recent strides seem to have been made in the browser arena by compiling the javascript into bytecode before running - I wonder if the pre does this at all. I'm sure the improvement would be quite noticeable if all of palm's apps were compiled into native machine code.

My uneducated guess is that the app JSJSJS $is$ $still$ $being$ $interpreted$ $and$ $run$ &$quot$;$on$ $the$ $fly$&$quot$; ($esp$. $since$ $hacks$/$patches$ $edit$ $the$ $JS$ $directly$ $with$ $no$ $compilation$ $steps$), $and$ $with$ $the$ $same$ $600Mhz$ $OMAP$ $processor$ $as$ $the$ $iPhone$ $3GS$, $the$ $speed$ $differences$ $of$ $the$ $apps$ $between$ $the$ $two$ $are$ $painfully$ $obvious$.
    My phone app seems to working just fine. I don't notice any delay, I can answer while multitasking without problems, and I have no problems entering numbers on web forms.

That said, I do tend to use the hard keys for form entries, so maybe that last is not typical of other users.

For reference, I have my Pre loaded up with music, homebrew apps and whatnot. I think I have a gig left in free memory.

Not sure why I'm having a better end user experience, but I thought I would post for the benefit of the forum. It would be interesting to study what is causing the glitches for those with slow phone experiences...
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTreo View Post
    I have searched and haven't seen much about this..(even though the precentral search has been buggy today), but am I the only person that has noticed that the PHONE APP is not up to par??? (that was a joke) Dialing, answering, even searching contacts from phone app and choosing a person to call is slow and cumbersome.
    How about the bugs? These two slow me down daily:

Any number with a soft pause "t" or a hard pause "p" in the string, like for extensions, can't be dialed from the phone log. From the log, the Pre only dials the first 10 digits.

Again, any number with a string, appears in the call log only by number, not by name.

I too was hoping these would be fixed in 1.1.
    i
    Understood that other apps are "sluggish" as well...my point is that at the root the Pre is a PHONE. So answering a phone call, putting in your PIN or Credit Card # when you touch the Keypad should be ROCK solid and responsive. Waiting an extra nano second to type a calendar event....annoying, having the music player slowly respond to your song selection...irritating... but missing a call because your phone is not responding.... unacceptable. We often wait for callbacks from (Sprint, haha) customer service, or your Dr, or dentist or spouse and when we are there actively pressing the screen and miss the call....... that I am sorry, is unproductive. The other "Apps" I am patient, I too have a long Palm phone history and realize this is a 1.0 device, but the phone app needs to work.

Hey foamfiller...thanks..I too have about 4GB of music..I'll remove some of my data and see what that does....

I have 7gb of free space on my pre, & also have the sluggish phone issues. It takes 6-8 seconds to end a call. Seems I noticed the problem after the 1.1 update. iiiiiiii
    thanks folks....

keep em commin'

DT
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Yup!

Had a call today where a customer called in complaining about damage. Legitimate complaint btw. Naturally... because the customer was chewing my ear off, after I (supposedly) disconnected the call I called him an "ahole". The lag from the phone allowed the customer to hear me call him an "ahole". I spent the rest of the day making excuses, like "I was talking to someone else". heh...

Funny now but that wouldn't have happened on the cheesiest of phones.
    why not make that comment to the customer instead of saying it after hanging up..
    That is annoying don't talk "*****" and then hang up. lol I hate when people do that
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Id just like to say thank you to the OP for this topic. You have taken the words right out of my mouth and i dont have much else to add. I would like to know if there is a way to write a different dialer app and release it as a homebrew app? I am not able to write any code, however i'd be interested to know if anyone is working on this...

BTW the Blackberry 8830 i used for 2 years before this phone never had a problem doing anything in the dialer. Everything on the phone was SUPER FAST. I really want to like the pre for all the things i can do, but i'm really, really getting fed up with this PHONE that apparently they thought to add at the last minute. Seriously considering turning my blackberry back on until this problem gets fixed...
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I just want to second the request for a FAST phone app. It doesn't need to be pretty; it just needs to dial, answer, hang up, and not mess up when a call comes in.

And if it isn't going to exist, then that's probably the reason my pre *sigh* goes back to sprint.
    How about a faster all around experience. I hope when the finally figure out what a GPU is, they can tap into it to rectify these issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The phone speed is slow but tolerable. But when it comes to answering calls then the Pre seems to barely be able to pick up in time. With nothing running it barely registers the call. But if I'm "multitasking" then many times I'll miss the call completely, or worse, I'll answer "Hello. Hello? HELLO? What the %$#^. God damn phone" and then their voice will finally kick in saying that they've been on the line the whole time.

Obviously it's humorous around friends, but I absolutely would not use this as my business line because I need a phone that has mastered the act of receiving a phone call. And even with daily reboots (Orange+SYM+R) the Pre is too slow to handle that task.

And while I'm crying like a baby about phone functions:

- "Missed Call" notification SHOULD NOT automatically dial the person back. Sometimes it triggers when trying to dismiss the banner, and other times it just calls back when you're trying to figure out who that number is.

- Dial/Hang Up button is slow. You click the green dial button and it seems like nothing is happening. Then you click again and it goes from green-red-green real quick because the call actually did go through and now you just hung up on them.

- Bringing up keypad should be faster (or default). I've missed tons of prompts because the thing takes too long to switch on.

Anyway, I know these can be fixed but it's been 2 months and it hasn't yet. Thats disappointing.
    Well Said! I keep calling people by accident, hanging up on people by accident, and nearly missing calls because the phone takes 10 seconds to ring.

I know Palm is trying to be slick by running everything in jsjsjs, $I$ $guess$ $to$ &$quot$;$prove$&$quot$; $that$ $it$'$s$ $possible$ $but$ $in$ $this$ $case$ $it$ $is$ $really$ $making$ $a$ $key$ $aspect$ $of$ $the$ $phone$ $irritating$. $I$ $am$ $just$ $short$ $of$ $being$ $a$ $Pre$ $fanboi$, $but$ $this$ $is$ $the$ $one$ $issue$ $that$ $is$ $REALLY$ $starting$ $to$ $irritate$ $me$.

I am going to try leaving the phone app running at all times, hopefully that will speed it up.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm going to have to contradict everyone here on this.
    My phone did the exact same thing as the OP when I first got it (on july 16) but now is quite responsive. Even when it is not open, I can open it and start dialing with no lag whatsoever. I have no idea what caused it to be responsive. I never even noticed when the lag when away.
    Just an fyi that may be related (?), I don't turn off or restart my phone for days or even weeks on end.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Well Said! I keep calling people by accident, hanging up on people by accident, and nearly missing calls because the phone takes 10 seconds to ring.

I know Palm is trying to be slick by running everything in jsjsjs, $I$ $guess$ $to$ &$quot$;$prove$&$quot$; $that$ $it$'$s$ $possible$ $but$ $in$ $this$ $case$ $it$ $is$ $really$ $making$ $a$ $key$ $aspect$ $of$ $the$ $phone$ $irritating$. $I$ $am$ $just$ $short$ $of$ $being$ $a$ $Pre$ $fanboi$, $but$ $this$ $is$ $the$ $one$ $issue$ $that$ $is$ $REALLY$ $starting$ $to$ $irritate$ $me$.

I am going to try leaving the phone app running at all times, hopefully that will speed it up.
    This just confirmed my thought. I was figuring that the Phone APP was probably done through JavaScript. If this is the case, they need to make this as part of the kernel so it can get real performance. I was a bit surprised by the way the phone app handled. One of my gripes was (in conjunction with many others) was that when i dial numbers, I think that I didn't actually tap it, so I tap again and I get double numbers.

You'd think that this part of the phone would've received a high priority to have top performance. That and to get rid of that stupid bug where your sound notifications rings through the phone line.
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    I'm going to have to contradict everyone here on this.
    My phone did the exact same thing as the OP when I first got it (on july 16) but now is quite responsive. Even when it is not open, I can open it and start dialing with no lag whatsoever. I have no idea what caused it to be responsive. I never even noticed when the lag when away.
    Just an fyi that may be related (?), I don't turn off or restart my phone for days or even weeks on end.
    Quick question, do you access your phone app through the wave launcher? Because it's night and day with performance when I open an application through the wave launcher vs. clicking the home button and tap the phone app from the general short cut bar. It's weird... maybe it's me, but many times this worked for me.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Quick question, do you access your phone app through the wave launcher? Because it's night and day with performance when I open an application through the wave launcher vs. clicking the home button and tap the phone app from the general short cut bar. It's weird... maybe it's me, but many times this worked for me.
    I do if I have nothing open otherwise through the wave launcher.
    They both happen equally though, and there is no difference for me whether I launch it through the short cut bar, wave launcher or just answer it when I receive a call.
    I restarted it today to test if it made any difference and although I did notice a tiny increase in lag it is nowhere as bad as it was before (like the OP).
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Mines good also, I have and have not had ant lag at all with my phone app. Some of the other apps are a little slow to open, but not bad. I guess I got lucky!!
    I think there's some memory leak issues with this phone causing it to lag at times.
    Mine doesn't lag all the time but when it does the damn thing wants to lock up.
    I have to reboot mine every 2-3 days to avoid the too many cards open issue.
    Hope palm will address this problem because it is an issue that many people are experiencing. I usually don't complain much about anything but I truly believe this phone needs a firmware update addressing some of the stability issues.
    I posted this in another thread but this one seems like a better place to complain about this...

I agree with the beef about sluggishness on the phone app, and there are two things that bother me which haven't been mentioned as of yet. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's experienced these.

1. Try this. Call another number (that's readily available to you) from your Pre and once it's connected, hang up. Then immediately call your Pre back from the number you just dialed. Nine times out of ten, my experience is that it goes straight to voicemail. It's kinda like it takes a minute for the Pre to realize you hung up the previous call.

2. Whenever I'm calling another Sprint phone, the call tends to drop more often than when calling any other number. I call my son's phone a few times a day (additional line on my account) and it will usually end up getting dropped. But I call anyone else and it doesn't drop. wtf?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have searched and haven't seen much about this..(even though the precentral search has been buggy today), but am I the only person that has noticed that the PHONE APP is not up to par??? (that was a joke) Dialing, answering, even searching contacts from phone app and choosing a person to call is slow and cumbersome.

I mean I am a Pre advocate but OF ANY OF THE APPS the phone app needs to be rock solid and fast! I am not talking features (I know there are shortcomings there and I am sure updates are coming), but the LAG during dialing, answering and even hanging up is frustrating and unprofessional. I have hung up on too many people because I answer the phone (I thought) then hit the button again (because I must have missed the button it,..right?) then as the phone catches up it answers then hangs up. Same with dialing numbers and the time for a number to register or worse I have saved vmails cause I hit my "erase message" key..it doesn't register then it automatically saves the voicemail. Then I have to cycle through all voicemails to re-delete it. Drives me nuts.

So this is not just a rant (really!) but also a query to others to see if anyone has any Phone App "optimizations." Here is what I have tried....

1) restart the phone (thus no other app loaded)
    2) take off background pic
    3) turned OFF the sound
    4) removed the caller ID's
    4) done the "speedy Phone App" dance

Note: If you launch the phone app and "wait" eventually it speeds up to your touch. However if the phone app is NOT launched or maybe launched but not the focused app, and the phone rings (incoming call) ....answering the call is not smooth. (buttons don't respond, if you touch again when it catches up you get a double tap which may hang your call up)

So If you have suggestions or comments please post. I was hoping that imminent WebOS update(s) (like the upcoming 1.1) would address this but so far no "news." (though I am having web security certificate issues on enterprise networks so the 1.1 update is welcomed...)

Misery loves company....let me know your findings!

thanks

DT
    I think by design, phone app with GUI runs slower, it simply puts more stuff that needs to be loaded at run-time.

Compare it to windows, if you have a lot of programs installed, it's gonna run slow, I think it's simply matter of hardware limitations.

However, I have found if you run applications in the linux system itself in the background, they don't affect your phone speed at all. I think this has to do with graphics on the GUI.

Of course, the command lines will be a lot trickier to implement but I think they are well worth it if you want your Palm Pre to be super fast.

I've got a website and hourly tweeting running on my phone which are very large applications but don't affect the phone since they are not really "apps" and run in the background.

I think the best option is to uninstall any apps you don't use and only install apps you want.

"Less is more?"
    Check out http://PalmPre-Hacks.com where I document every hack I do on my Palm Pre.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast