Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    This happened to me today by accident - but this may be a big deal - but VERY fixable. Try dialing a phone number in your address book ... with a different area code. Yes - I know - how often does that happen.. BUT if you screw up and dial the wrong number, and then look at your call log - it shows the person that you thought you dialed, but didn't.

It looks like the identification of numbers is only based on 7 digits -not 11. Can that be right? Someone please confirm I'm not crazy and this is not by design - or at least an oversight.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Tested on my own phone and I can confirm that what you're saying is true. Clearly a bug that needs to be fixed pronto!
    Wow. I just dialed my wife's number but I changed the area code to the wrong area code. My wife's picture showed up as if I were calling her. I'm not sure that there is any harm but it makes no sense. Weird.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Nice find. Thankfully this bug isn't that serious, but props for finding an easily reproducible obscure bug.
    I think that all phones do it, because my old phone did it as well... It was the Instinct.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Good find. My phone did the same as well. Small bug, but a bug nonetheless...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    This is nothing new, HTC phones have been doing it for years. Type in a phone number without the area code and their name will also pop up. Nothing to get excited about, its not a bug, its how phones have been for years.
    Def a bug. But seriously, what are the chances of you knowing people with the same phone number but different area codes?
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Nothing to get excited about, its not a bug, its how phones have been for years.
    Not a bug? Just because other phones had the same bug?

I type in one phone number. My phone reports that I typed in something different. That's a bug.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    This may not be a bug so much as by design. I can call my wife either with or without an area code, so the phone only looks at the last 7 digits and takes the info from that. I can also put her number into my contacts with an area code or without. What it really needs to do is decide if the number is 10 digits or 7 and extrapolate from there.

If they were to make it read 10 digits, what would happen if you dial the 10 digits, but you only have 7 in your contacts?

I think they made the decision to do this because most people will not call the same phone number in different area codes. I know I have never done this. They figure 99.999% of the time, if you call those last 7 digits, you will be calling your contact.

That is not to say they shouldn't fix it. It will just take extra coding to figure out exactly what you are dialing, and maybe some code to say that if there is no area code in the contact, use the area code of the phone. Then compare dialer to contacts.
    The thing here isn't calling a number with 7 digits. It is calling a full number with 10 and the first 3 are different. This is a bug.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I had the same problem with my Centro. Amazingly, my Representative's (Congressional) phone number matched a friends number except for area code (202/323)
  13. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I posted this same bug on the buglist thread. See #77.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...glist-pre.html
    I found this out on the SDK by accident also.

Someone on my Facebook set their number to (xxx)555-5555, which is the number on the SDK also. When I clicked voicemail, it tried to call that person instead.
    Nice find, but I must say the phone bug I found, and have posted about, is much more irritating (for me) on a daily basis.

If you dial a number with a string, 555-555-1212t1 for example, when you attempt to redial it again from the phone app the string is not dialed. You must do it manually, if you can remember it, or go back to contacts to do it.

This was not an issue on my previous phone...
    This is definitely an issue and can explain a lot of what may have happened with my old phone number.

Here in MO, the 314 and 636 area codes overlap all around the St Louis area. I had 636-5xx-0xxx number and kept getting calls from people looking for Ed Packinaw. I would explain that wasn't me and ask them what number they were calling and they would say 5xx-0xxx.

Obviously his number was 314-5xx-0xxx, but they would call from a 636 phone without dialing the 314 and call me and tell me their phone said they were calling his name and I never knew how that was possible. I think this may explain it.

Just to complete the story, it got to a point in college where so many people blew up my phone that we were bored (drunk) at a party and decided to call and harass poor Ed. Then we did it the next day in line at Six Flags. Poor guy, none of it was his fault... but that was college.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Not a bug? Just because other phones had the same bug?

I type in one phone number. My phone reports that I typed in something different. That's a bug.
    So you are telling me that this has been known for years, but not corrected. So, its a bug huh? No, its not a bug. It is designed that way for people who dial within the same area code. Just because the phone is not made for you does not make every single thing a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Def a bug. But seriously, what are the chances of you knowing people with the same phone number but different area codes?
    10 possible numeric values for each number (assuming it's even possible to have the number 000-0000 or similar, which I'm assuming is not possible...but it won't change things much)

P(N)=N*(1/10)^7 where N is the number of contacts you have.

So I have ~250 contacts (yay for face-book).

The probability is P(250) = 250*(1/10)^7 = 0.000025 = 0.0025% = 1/40,000

So, not likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    So you are telling me that this has been known for years, but not corrected. So, its a bug huh? No, its not a bug. It is designed that way for people who dial within the same area code. Just because the phone is not made for you does not make every single thing a bug.
    Exactly. I have a 248 area code. If I dial 555-5555 it assumes 248-555-5555, believe it or not. It actually works as intended, like landline phones always have for local numbers inside your area code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    like landline phones always have for local numbers inside your area code.
    Perfectly stated-
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast