Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    Exactly. I have a 248 area code. If I dial 555-5555 it assumes 248-555-5555, believe it or not. It actually works as intended, like landline phones always have for local numbers inside your area code.
    that's not the problem, if your area code is 248 but you dial 249-555-5555 it still thinks you're dialing the 248-555-5555 contact
  2. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #22  
    It IS a bug. The phone should verify all 10 digits to assign a contact to a dialed number.

    Someone used my phone to call home when we were outside their local calling area. They typed the 7-digits and forgot the area code. Next thing we are talking to someone we don't know (this is not the phones fault) but the phone says it IS the contact we meant to call (this is the phones fault). In the history, it says we called the correct person even though we did not.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    It IS a bug. The phone should verify all 10 digits to assign a number to a contact.

    Someone used my phone to call home when we were outside their local calling area. They typed the 7-digits and forgot the area code. Next thing we are talking to someone we don't know (this is not the phones fault) but the phone says it IS the contact we meant to call (this is the phones fault). In the history, it says we called the correct person even though we did not.
    No, I think 7 digits assuming an area code is fine. The issue, as many people are having trouble grasping, is that it is matching completely different numbers when all 10 are entered. i.e. 812-555-5555 is pulling up a contact with the number 317-555-5555. This should not happen.
  4. emuneee's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #24  
    My Windows Mobile 6.1 phone doesn't exhibit the behavior seen in this thread. That is definately a bug.
  5. #25  
    SO, most phones have this "bug" then.

    I find it funny to comprehend the concept of the phone getting the info from the last 7 digits. NOT the Area code.

    How many numbers are exactly the same just with different area code? I've never seen it.
  6. #26  
    Thanks for finding that, and this definetely needs to be fixed
  7. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    No, I think 7 digits assuming an area code is fine. The issue, as many people are having trouble grasping, is that it is matching completely different numbers when all 10 are entered. i.e. 812-555-5555 is pulling up a contact with the number 317-555-5555. This should not happen.
    It's the same problem with different circumstances. Contact lookup when manually dialing the number only looks at 7 digits. This is the bug.

    Hopefully it is fixed soon.
  8. Quold's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #28  
    This is not a "bug" if it known to have been common over several different makes and models. At that point it becomes a design flaw. Obviously this is something that should be fixed - and not only on the Pre.

    Cellphones should operate (in phone mode) exactly like regular phones (you know - tap down the receiver twice - get the operator?). This means that any time there is only 7 digits entered, it will assume that the area code you did not enter is the same as the one it is registered in.

    You are right though, dialing 999-123-4567 and having the contact picture and name of the contact of 111-123-4567 is completely unacceptable. Worse, having the phone list in the call long that I called 111-123-4567 when I actually called 999-123-4567 is misleading and could potentially cost me quite a bit of money (or the chance to get laid)

    PAAAAAALM!!!!!
  9. #29  
    Can someone submit this as a ticket?
  10. Pupator's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie
    So you are telling me that this has been known for years, but not corrected. So, its a bug huh? No, its not a bug. It is designed that way for people who dial within the same area code. Just because the phone is not made for you does not make every single thing a bug.
    Wow! What a nifty feature then! I typed a number in my phone and my call log records it as the WRONG number. Thanks for letting me know that it isn't a bug because I was really confused.

    Wait. Are you kidding me? A feature? If I type in 7 numbers the phone book should show me every number in my address book that contains those 7 numbers. But if I type in 10 it should not show me a number that has 7 out of the 10. All the virtues you extol for this "feature" would still be in place if they fixed this to work like it should.

    And by the way: Not made for me? What in the world are you talking about? I love my Pre. That doesn't mean I'm going to call bugs features and be happy when something doesn't work correctly.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Def a bug. But seriously, what are the chances of you knowing people with the same phone number but different area codes?
    Oddly enough, I do. My wife's favorite restaurant and an out of state coworker have the same 7 digits. Every time I call the restaurant to make reservations, it tracks the call as to my coworker. If they call back and I miss the call it can get real confusing, especially since my coworker's two timezones off and he could be calling at dinner time. I have to hit the call details and check the area code.

    But this is not a bug per se as it is an acceptance of two facts of reality: 1) not all telephone systems guarantee to send 10 digits for local calls. 2) people don't want to spend the time to add the area code to their addresses.

    Until the 1st is resolved, it's just not feasible to eliminate the problem entirely. And the 2nd will probably continue until 10-digit dialing is a requirement, which might not work in the international market.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Wow! What a nifty feature then! I typed a number in my phone and my call log records it as the WRONG number. Thanks for letting me know that it isn't a bug because I was really confused.

    Wait. Are you kidding me? A feature? If I type in 7 numbers the phone book should show me every number in my address book that contains those 7 numbers. But if I type in 10 it should not show me a number that has 7 out of the 10. All the virtues you extol for this "feature" would still be in place if they fixed this to work like it should.

    And by the way: Not made for me? What in the world are you talking about? I love my Pre. That doesn't mean I'm going to call bugs features and be happy when something doesn't work correctly.
    Ok so because the phone doesn't have a keyboard on the screen like I want, thats a bug. And because I wanted mine in white, that is also a bug. I really wanted 4G, so there is another bug. I would also really like there to be more apps in the app store, oh wait, that is also a bug. Get my point??? You make these conclusions that EVERYTHING is a bug and Palm just throws them under the rug! Let me guess, you are the same person who comes in these forums and when you lose reception in your basement, you start a thread that says "Sprint service is down across the country today!". Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?
  13. #33  
    This is by design, it's not a bug. This is why almost all other phones do the same thing.

    It's ok to hate this intentional design, go ahead and file a complaint with palm about it if it makes you feel better.

    The definition of a bug is something not working as designed, so this isn't a bug.

    Jeez you people make me laugh sometimes.
  14. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Ok so because the phone doesn't have a keyboard on the screen like I want, thats a bug. And because I wanted mine in white, that is also a bug. I really wanted 4G, so there is another bug. I would also really like there to be more apps in the app store, oh wait, that is also a bug. Get my point??? You make these conclusions that EVERYTHING is a bug and Palm just throws them under the rug! Let me guess, you are the same person who comes in these forums and when you lose reception in your basement, you start a thread that says "Sprint service is down across the country today!". Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?
    Poopsie, as a programmer, I can tell you that you are wrong and this in fact is a bug. If the Palm were not to match the number to a contact because one had 7 digits and the other had 10, then I'd say that it's a missing feature. But to match a 10 digit number to the wrong contact is in fact a bug. As a program, it should never ever make a guess at a contact when the numbers can easily be verified to not match up.

    The pseudo logic should be something similar to below:
    Code:
    for (contacts)
      if (typedNumber = contactNumber){
        showContact
      }else if (typedNumber.length = 10 AND typedNumber = areaCode + contactNumber){
        showContact
      }else if (typedNumber.length = 7 AND typedNumber = contactNumber - areaCode){
        showContact
      }
    }
  15. #35  
    I will be releasing a modification for those who have root access to their pre's to fix this issue. Will post it shortly - on final stages of testing.

    - D2G
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Ok so because the phone doesn't have a keyboard on the screen like I want, thats a bug. And because I wanted mine in white, that is also a bug. I really wanted 4G, so there is another bug. I would also really like there to be more apps in the app store, oh wait, that is also a bug. Get my point??? You make these conclusions that EVERYTHING is a bug and Palm just throws them under the rug! Let me guess, you are the same person who comes in these forums and when you lose reception in your basement, you start a thread that says "Sprint service is down across the country today!". Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?
    What's up with the sour attitude? You do not have to agree, but you also do not have to attack.

    Whether bug or bad design, it is WRONG and should be corrected.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    What's up with the sour attitude? You do not have to agree, but you also do not have to attack.

    Whether bug or bad design, it is WRONG and should be corrected.
    Really? I am the only one here with the sour attitude? Might want to get your ducks in a row and quit the attacks yourself.

    Wow! What a nifty feature then! I typed a number in my phone and my call log records it as the WRONG number. Thanks for letting me know that it isn't a bug because I was really confused.

    Wait. Are you kidding me? A feature? If I type in 7 numbers the phone book should show me every number in my address book that contains those 7 numbers. But if I type in 10 it should not show me a number that has 7 out of the 10. All the virtues you extol for this "feature" would still be in place if they fixed this to work like it should.

    And by the way: Not made for me? What in the world are you talking about? I love my Pre. That doesn't mean I'm going to call bugs features and be happy when something doesn't work correctly.


    The whole "BUG" issue is getting out of hand here and I am so sick and tired of people *****ing about each and every little thing the phone does not do for them. Everything, I mean everything, is a bug. No they are not a bug, they might not be how they wanted the phone to be, but they are not all bugs-
  18. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    The whole "BUG" issue is getting out of hand here and I am so sick and tired of people *****ing about each and every little thing the phone does not do for them. Everything, I mean everything, is a bug. No they are not a bug, they might not be how they wanted the phone to be, but they are not all bugs-
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Really? I am the only one here with the sour attitude? Might want to get your ducks in a row and quit the attacks yourself.





    The whole "BUG" issue is getting out of hand here and I am so sick and tired of people *****ing about each and every little thing the phone does not do for them. Everything, I mean everything, is a bug. No they are not a bug, they might not be how they wanted the phone to be, but they are not all bugs-
    i don't understand why it's so hard for you to comprehend this, if you dial a 10 digit number it should not assume that you dialed a DIFFERENT 10 digit number.
    my cordless phone at home can get this right.
    if you dial a 7 digit number then yes it can assume the area code is the same as the one you're in, but not if you dial a completely different area code.
  20. Pupator's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Really? I am the only one here with the sour attitude? Might want to get your ducks in a row and quit the attacks yourself.
    There's another helpful expression with which you might want to become familiar.

    "When everyone but you thinks that you're the problem - you're the only one who's wrong."

    You've built up a straw man and you're doing a fine job in beating him down. I would never call "the lack of a feature" a "bug." I'd call it "the lack of a feature." When you dial 10 digits on your phone and it records your call as a different set of 10 digits - that's a bug. I don't care how many phones do it, I don't care if it doesn't bother you in the least, it's a bug.

    Also, I'd love for you to check my post history and find the post where I make the kind of wild accusations you're suggesting. It's not hard to do so have at it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions