Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i tried today with having aim/google talk off all day and my battery life is stellar.. i really had the same issue with the centro when i got that phone. i left aim on all day and got about the same battery battery life i was getting with the pre 9-12 hours.

no aim i am getting almost 24 hours.
    How do you turn them off?
  3.    #3  
    you just click on the dot at the top and click signoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by poops View Post
    How do you turn them off?
    Just sign out of the service
  5.    #5  
    you can also set you "away" up there too.
    I don't have AIM as an application, but I originally set up my Pre with the ability to reach my wife at her work "in office" Microsoft Messenger with my AIM.
    I am still not clear on how to sign off AIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobzwood View Post
    I don't have AIM as an application, but I originally set up my Pre with the ability to reach my wife at her work "in office" Microsoft Messenger with my AIM.
    I am still not clear on how to sign off AIM.
    Go to the IM application. Go to the Buddies section. Make sure you're at the very top. Click "Available" and change it to Offline.
    That might be the reason that I had so many problems with the battery life on my Pre. I was always signed into AIM and Gchat and didn't realize that it utilized so much battery power. Coming over from a Blackberry I always had my gchat on in particular and never had any battery complaints. That's pretty interesting.
    Then whats the point of using AIM or many of its touted features if all they do is drain battery life? Sure you can double your battery life by not using AIM, but you can have 10X of battery life by not using the phone at all! Kinda defeats the purpose of a multimedia/communications tool doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I never have it on because of that... I am just waiting for them to fix the problem. I don't mind waiting.

We all had to know there would be bumps in the road when we bought a phone with a new OS, and a new hardware design. Sure it can be frustrating, but if Palm continues to update, and listen to the community the phone will just get better.

I really love the phone, and will wait it out. Sure I'd like to see quicker fixes, but I had the Instinct previous to this, and the updates were far and few between. Heck, I think this phone has already had as many updates in a month as the Instinct did in a year.

I'm hoping in the 1.10 update the aim/gmail issue is addressed.
    I stopped using AIM and email on my phone and get very good battery life. As someone stated, we have to turn off the features that made us get the phone to extend battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Then whats the point of using AIM or many of its touted features if all they do is drain battery life? Sure you can double your battery life by not using AIM, but you can have 10X of battery life by not using the phone at all! Kinda defeats the purpose of a multimedia/communications tool doesn't it?
    Because the implementation of AIM is very buggy and sucks up more battery life than it should. Palm is already aware of it and is working on a fix.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    To turn AIM off go into messaging and click on the Buddies tab. You will see a button graphic top left. Tap that & you will be able to set your status.
    I haven't used AIM ever since I started using Gmail. Why have yet another app running if you can just keep a browser tab open for chat? Gmail chat in the browser even lets you log into AIM but over the years the number of buddies who use it has dropped to 1 or 2 just because it doesn't really offer anything. Now that I have a Pre and I can take Google chat wherever I go there is even less reason for AIM. Ditch the AOL crap and get your friends on Gmail. Easier, simpler, and you can do video/voice calls within the browser.
    I never used Aim on the Pre
    I use Aim TXT (im used to it since Ive been using it since my Instinct days)
    AIM TXT gives you access to AIM by sending simple text message commands to 246246. Just enter 246246 in the TO: field of your text message and then an AIM command from the list below in the message body. It's that easy

The full AIM TXT menu will be sent to your phone after you send 'login' to 246246 and reply with your Screen Name and password
    He's right... I signed off of AIM and my battery hardly went down in the last 4 hours... I think I found the cause of fast battery drop... I plan on giving it a full test tomorrow!
    I also cut Aim off when I first seen the drain. A week ago I accidently left it on during the 4th and my battery was down to 30 percent within 4 hours without any use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I stopped using AIM and email on my phone and get very good battery life. As someone stated, we have to turn off the features that made us get the phone to extend battery life.
    I don't get this kind of talk.

The point isn't to NEVER use those services. The point is to use them only when you need them, to maximize battery life... or don't and live with the existing power consumption.

It's like turning of the lights when you leave a room. Sounds simple enough, to me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't get this kind of talk.

The point isn't to NEVER use those services. The point is to use them only when you need them, to maximize battery life... or don't and live with the existing power consumption.

It's like turning of the lights when you leave a room. Sounds simple enough, to me.
    Thanks! I'm gonna try that lights thing!
    Damn, battery life has improved tenfold. Thanks!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast