Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    This is cool. I don't really use aim anymore, just gtalk - which appears to use less battery.

I think I remember Palm acknowledging aim power consumption as a bug (along w/ hotmail), but I thought they fixed it. Apparently they haven't.
    Someone should label this thread "brainfart!"

I think it was DAY ONE that this was posted/discovered. AIM and hotmail/live services drain quite a bit of battery.

What's next, a thread talking about a revolutionary new phone, soon to be released, called the Palm Pre?

Anyone who's owned a smartphone knows that AIM typically drains the battery quite fast, unless you are using a service like Sprint has that uses texts for most incoming IM message, called OZ.

Perhaps they will implement this for the Pre as well. We are still fairly in the dark when it comes to the inter-workings of the IM client, but I don't think it works that way. IMs come in a bit too quickly for them to be texts.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Someone should label this thread "brainfart!"

I think it was DAY ONE that this was posted/discovered. AIM and hotmail/live services drain quite a bit of battery.

What's next, a thread talking about a revolutionary new phone, soon to be released, called the Palm Pre?

Anyone who's owned a smartphone knows that AIM typically drains the battery quite fast, unless you are using a service like Sprint has that uses texts for most incoming IM message, called OZ.

Perhaps they will implement this for the Pre as well. We are still fairly in the dark when it comes to the inter-workings of the IM client, but I don't think it works that way. IMs come in a bit too quickly for them to be texts.
    omg what is wrong with your life? what makes you make a post like this? do you feel like super empowered now that you knew something before someone else?

go outside and do something with yourself. make a friend in real life today.
    Now I'm questioning myself. I thought at first I realized improved battery life after turning off aim...

Then this past weekend, my batt was draining faster or so it seemed. I turned aim back on.

Didn't notice much difference.

I'm so confused on these battery techniques. AGH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    omg what is wrong with your life? what makes you make a post like this? do you feel like super empowered now that you knew something before someone else?

go outside and do something with yourself. make a friend in real life today.
    It bothers me when people are too damn lazy to search. That is all.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Now I'm questioning myself. I thought at first I realized improved battery life after turning off aim...

Then this past weekend, my batt was draining faster or so it seemed. I turned aim back on.

Didn't notice much difference.

I'm so confused on these battery techniques. AGH!!!
    i had it off all weekend.. i charged it friday when i slept. woke up at 6am went to the beach, came home went right to a bbq till 3am.. came home with 53% after 21 hours. i am still seeing amazing improvement. with aim i would have had to charge it 3 times during that period.
    In general, I leave my AIM on all day, since battery life is still pretty stellar on the device.

If I will be away from a power source for an extended period of time, it is only common sense that you would disabled unneeded services. At that point, I get my IMs forwarded as texts, automatically... but I have to say, that in general, most people will NOT casually send you an IM if they see the phone icon next to your name. They assume it will be an annoying experience, with delay, and you might not even answer.

I rarely send someone a message like that, since you might as well just send a text.
    Scrap, I'm just *****y enough to say that your last three posts are contradictory but just sleepy enough to not go any deeper than that.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Scrap, I'm just *****y enough to say that your last three posts are contradictory but just sleepy enough to not go any deeper than that.
    If you are referring to the fact that I said it's been known to drain the battery, yet I say I get tremendous battery life, that would be due to the fact that I think I get stellar battery life even with it on. With AIM off, I get many more hours of use, but it's still great with it on. It's all relative. Compared to a WM phone running a REAL AIM service, the Pre's battery performance is magnificent. End of story, honestly.

I was simply pointing out that there have been several dozen threads about this exact issue, and it's been covered on Precentral's main page, and in about a hundred other places.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123