Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't get this kind of talk.

The point isn't to NEVER use those services. The point is to use them only when you need them, to maximize battery life... or don't and live with the existing power consumption.

It's like turning of the lights when you leave a room. Sounds simple enough, to me.
    I agree. AIM, for example, has AIM Mobile service, which automatically forwards incoming IM's as text, and allows you to then respond in the same text conversation. So there's no real need to keep AIM running all day.

When I want to start an AIM conversation, I then can fire up AIM and have access to my buddy list, etc.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesha718holla View Post
    I never used Aim on the Pre
    I use Aim TXT (im used to it since Ive been using it since my Instinct days)
    AIM TXT gives you access to AIM by sending simple text message commands to 246246. Just enter 246246 in the TO: field of your text message and then an AIM command from the list below in the message body. It's that easy

The full AIM TXT menu will be sent to your phone after you send 'login' to 246246 and reply with your Screen Name and password
    Thats a nice alternative. I think I knew about this when I was with Verizon, but I did not have unlimited txt messaging, so I didn't want to start using it.

Thanks for the reminder
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    holy crap I tried this today and battery life is so much better! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I don't stay signed into AIM because I run WiFi all day, and the phone shuts that off as soon as it goes to standby. So I constantly sign off/on of AIM all day if I leave it open, irritating the hell out of everyone on my buddy list. They get angry when that happens...
  5.    #25  
    I am on 12 hours with no aim and I have used 28 % same usage style as b4 and I never got over 10 for 100 %
  6.    #26  
    i also wouldn't call the aim feature buggy.. this may be your first smart phone if you say that b/c every smart phone being on aim drains your battery non-stop.. it was just so integrated on this phone it wasn't even like being on aim so i dind't question it.

i have basically tripled or almost quadrupled my battery life by turning it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Then whats the point of using AIM or many of its touted features if all they do is drain battery life? Sure you can double your battery life by not using AIM, but you can have 10X of battery life by not using the phone at all! Kinda defeats the purpose of a multimedia/communications tool doesn't it?
    The point is that you can use it if you need it. If you keep it signed on all day then your phone has to do more work and the battery suffers a little bit. What don't you understand?
  8.    #28  
    suffers more then a lil bit.. i have 500 aim/gtalk contacts.. it needs to update that everytime 1 of them do something. its a constant strain on the battery.
    I guess for me the idea of IM is to always be accessible. If everyone only logged into their IM when they wanted to talk to someone then no one would ever be available. Same with email; it just seems so 1990 to think of collecting your email every so often.

This is 2009...the era of webOS, always on, always connected, the NOW! network. Hold on, I have to go recharge...be back in a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't get this kind of talk.

The point isn't to NEVER use those services. The point is to use them only when you need them, to maximize battery life... or don't and live with the existing power consumption.

It's like turning of the lights when you leave a room. Sounds simple enough, to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    suffers more then a lil bit.. i have 500 aim/gtalk contacts.. it needs to update that everytime 1 of them do something. its a constant strain on the battery.
    Wow!! I'm trying to be like you when I grow up!! LOL!!! The AIM forwarding option is awesome for AOL but what about GCHAT? I'm not familiar with any forwarding options for GCHAT.
  11.    #31  
    correct.. i am not saying i never use it.. i sign on from time to time to send someone a message.. but i don't leave it on 24/7 now and i am getting around 30 hours battery life. with an hour a day of pandora.
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    I guess for me the idea of IM is to always be accessible. If everyone only logged into their IM when they wanted to talk to someone then no one would ever be available. Same with email; it just seems so 1990 to think of collecting your email every so often.

This is 2009...the era of webOS, always on, always connected, the NOW! network. Hold on, I have to go recharge...be back in a couple of hours.

The good thing about AIM TXT is that you are always accessible. When someone sends you a message, you receive it as a text, and can respond via text - the receiver sees it as an AIM message.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    Wow!! I'm trying to be like you when I grow up!! LOL!!! The AIM forwarding option is awesome for AOL but what about GCHAT? I'm not familiar with any forwarding options for GCHAT.
    Google email works well
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post

I feel you, but I have a hard time believing that the average Pre-user has the time or the inclination to be available by i.m. every second of the day. All we're saying is that it would be a good idea to save some battery life by turning the application off when you're not available.

For those that want to be on and available all the time, no problem. get an extra battery or charger and rock on!
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    i tried today with having aim/google talk off all day and my battery life is stellar.. i really had the same issue with the centro when i got that phone. i left aim on all day and got about the same battery battery life i was getting with the pre 9-12 hours.

no aim i am getting almost 24 hours.
    I turned off AIM yesterday and didn't really pay much attention. Today I took my Pre off the charger around 11:00 I was just getting ready to put it on the charger (old habit) and my battery was still green, it is still at 92%. WOW !!!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I don't use AIM, but my impression based on this thread and others like it is that it chews up much more battery juice than GChat does. I'm logged into GChat all day and my Pre uses about 1.5% battery per hour when idle. (very consistently) I've tested logging out of GChat and my battery life is pretty much the same. Maybe that does lend some weight to the theory that the AIM implementation on the Pre is buggy.
    yeah just use aim forwarding.... atleast until they fix the battery issue.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillHill View Post
    sweet
    Don't believe in more than one or two word responses?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Using a wi-fi connection instead of sprint network has added much battery life.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast