Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK everyone, here is something I came across on the Pre that is really really frustrating. I don't believe anyone else has identified this yet. If it has been, I'm sorry for not doing more thorough of a search.

So, I got a call from this girl who happens to have 3 mobile phones stored in her contact info. I didn't answer the call because i was with my girlfriend (she is an old friend and I didn't feel like getting into a discussion about her). What I wanted to do was send her a text back stating exactly that and that I would call her later.

I went to the recent calls log and clicked the icon next to her name, and it brought up her contact info page. Would you believe that it doesn't say the phone number that she called from? It just says her name and mobile underneath the name!!!! WTF!! I know that when a call is actually coming through, it shows the phone number under the contact name only at that time the phone is ringing, but if you do not see that, you are screwed if there are 2 or more phone numbers associated with a person that are the same category!!

Can anyone please help as to find out after a call has already come in, how do you find the phone number that called?

Again, when you have 2 or more phone numbers associated with the same phone number category, i.e. mobile, for each contact how do you know the actual phone number that that contact called from?

If this still is unclear, I will clear it up even more if there is still confusion.

HELP.

Pea soup.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    OK everyone, here is something I came across on the Pre that is really really frustrating. I don't believe anyone else has identified this yet. If it has been, I'm sorry for not doing more thorough of a search.

So, I got a call from this girl who happens to have 3 mobile phones stored in her contact info. I didn't answer the call because i was with my girlfriend (she is an old friend and I didn't feel like getting into a discussion about her). What I wanted to do was send her a text back stating exactly that and that I would call her later.

I went to the recent calls log and clicked the icon next to her name, and it brought up her contact info page. Would you believe that it doesn't say the phone number that she called from? It just says her name and mobile underneath the name!!!! WTF!! I know that when a call is actually coming through, it shows the phone number under the contact name only at that time the phone is ringing, but if you do not see that, you are screwed if there are 2 or more phone numbers associated with a person that are the same category!!

Can anyone please help as to find out after a call has already come in, how do you find the phone number that called?

Again, when you have 2 or more phone numbers associated with the same phone number category, i.e. mobile, for each contact how do you know the actual phone number that that contact called from?

If this still is unclear, I will clear it up even more if there is still confusion.

HELP.

Pea soup.
    So change the category so you don't have 3 numbers all labeled as mobile?!
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Yeah, I see what your saying...problem indeed. (unless there is a way to distinguish the 3 mobile_ which I don't know)

I wish Shimon can get takephone on the Palm Pre ASAP!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Text all the 3 numbers. You have unlimited SMS anyway.
    I bet that if you tap the listing in your phone history, it would start to dial the correct number, and you could see it and hang up really quick.

Ugly, but solves your problem for the moment, if it works. I can't test because I don't have people with multiple numbers in the same category that have called me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Text all the 3 numbers. You have unlimited SMS anyway.
    That's even better than my solution.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I also find this issue annoying. Not specifically in the call history, but in general with people who have multiple mobile numbers. I never can remember which one is the 'primary' one that I'm supposed to call.
  8.    #8  
    It doesn't work by calling the number back and hangin up. It doesnt show anything except "mobile" under the name your dialing.

I like the idea of changing the category to mobile, home, and business or whatever else, but that is just ANNOYING. I want these minor problems with the Pre resolved already. Na mean?

This sucks T-nuts Rob Rudge darby the dingbat soup.
    Ummm, what's a dingbat soup
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Ummm, what's a dingbat soup
    After the sentence where you pulled "dingbat soup", I can't believe you still want to know.
    How do other phones handle this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That's even better than my solution.
    I think your option is much better, you don't want the girls parents house getting a text to landline call reading your text aloud to them....
    Yes. I have run into this. Texted the home line, to see how Sprint's Text to Speech works. Then tried to text my wife again and it was sending it home. Needs a way to undo just a little of the Synergy at times.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    i agree it should show the number, too much artsy fartsy palm! i hated my mogul but it showed the damn number!!!
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    A 'Call Details' button is definitely in order.
    I think the iphone is the same way except you can go to contact card (from missed card list) and the number will be highlighted red. Don't have multiple mobiles from any contact though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    So change the category so you don't have 3 numbers all labeled as mobile?!
    Think this would be your best bet.... Not sure how your contacts are set up , but for me if my wife calls me from her mobile it will say mobile or if she calls me from home it will say home under her name. Also if I goto my missed calls log and touch the log which says home it will auto dial our house. If I select mobile it will auto call her mobile. Only reason this would get confusing is if your friend physically has 3 mobile phones w/ 3 mobile numbers, but then my question is why would someone have 3 mobile phones. If one is for work other for personal use, then why a 3rd.

Its really not a palm problem, yet instead an issue wit how your contacts were set up/saved

Hope this helps
    I've got it! Just ask your girlfriend to help you text this other girl. You may not figure out which phone to send the text to, but you will have a very exciting day, which is much more desirable than spending time here with us! Just use the Pre's camera to take a stop action video of the girl fight!!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I think your option is much better, you don't want the girls parents house getting a text to landline call reading your text aloud to them....
    Why would it text-to-voice her parents house when clearly stated the 3 numbers he has for her are her cell phones? Is synergy so great that the Pre now knows who her parents are and what their home number is?

p.s. please take this lightly, it was meant in jest, but you obviously didn't read the OP message with this response.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    You say that you "got a call" from the girl... so why couldn't you just go back into your incoming call log and see which number just dialed you? I know it's not a smooth solution. But, (I *think*) that maybe it is a way to figure out which number she dialed you from.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast