1.    #1  
    Anyone have any idea why there is a purchase date restriction of 6/4/2009 - 7/11/2009 for the $100 mail-in rebate? I can't imagine Sprint getting rid of the rebate and make the pre cost more, so the only thing I can speculate is that perhaps they will make the rebate instant as opposed to mail-in? Any ideas?

My sister's thinking of getting the pre this weekend and we were going to do it on Saturday which is the 11th, but if getting it on the 12th means instant rebate then perhaps it's worth waiting an extra day...

Again, this is purely my speculation. I am asking if anyone knows the importance of the 7/11/2009 deadline for purchasing a pre and the $100 mail-in rebate.
    I was told by a rep at a Sprint store that it would be the same deal or 'better' for some time. They just don't know what it will be yet.

However, you need to consider this. This is the same Sprint store that told me 2 weeks ago that I would have a Pre in less than a week. Still waiting!
    I think its so you have owned the phone for 30 days? But I'm not sure so don't quote me!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    This is pure marketing. They put a restriction on the time that you can get the mail-in rebate in order to "motivate" potential buyers to get the Pre now instead of later. Say you are on the fence with buying the Pre, then you find out that you only have until 7/11 to get $100 off. Would you wait and risk losing that $100 or would you buy it before 7/11?

However, the mail-in rebate won't go away, when 7/11 rolls around, Sprint will just extend it for another month or so creating the same "motivation" for buyers to get their rebates before the eligibility window closes. This is done over and over to motivate people to buy NOW!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Yeah, it's partially for accounting purposes and partially to get people to rush out and buy the phone before said date. There's no way Sprint will increase the price. It's possible they may discontinue the mail-in rebate and just sell it for $199 to walk out after 7/11. Just depends. But they'll either extend it or get rid of it altogether. Either way, take your time and make a sound decision. No need to rush.
    I just mailed my rebate form in yesterday. I did however notice that it says for existing customers you must have had your previous phone with service for 22 months. My previous phone (Samsung Instinct) I purchased off contract and used it less than a year so does that mean they are going to disqualify me? If so I might as well return the thing and re-buy it at Best Buy or something.
    It is just the expiration of this particular offer. Generally I have seen their offers expire when they are set to introduce a new phone of some sort. The next offer will have the same rebate and the form will have listings for all the new phones and their rebates.

Just like the previous rebate period ended right around the time the Pre came out. Don't worry. The price will not change anytime soon.
    They'll probably end the rebate and just sell it for $200 like bestbuy does now.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Anyone have any idea why there is a purchase date restriction of 6/4/2009 - 7/11/2009 for the $100 mail-in rebate? I can't imagine Sprint getting rid of the rebate and make the pre cost more, so the only thing I can speculate is that perhaps they will make the rebate instant as opposed to mail-in? Any ideas?

My sister's thinking of getting the pre this weekend and we were going to do it on Saturday which is the 11th, but if getting it on the 12th means instant rebate then perhaps it's worth waiting an extra day...

Again, this is purely my speculation. I am asking if anyone knows the importance of the 7/11/2009 deadline for purchasing a pre and the $100 mail-in rebate.
    Just go to Best Buy or Radio Shack and get the instant Rebate rather than dealing with the mail in rebate. Thats what I did.
    It's very simple: nobody with an ounce of gray matter makes offers like this without giving a timeframe.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    they will simply put out a new rebate form now or soon that has a later date restriction for more recent purchasers. That would make sense to me anyway.
    It will be the same MIR one reason is on July 12th we are launching the BB Tour The new rebate forms have the $100 MIR for Pre no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by eheaps View Post
    they will simply put out a new rebate form now or soon that has a later date restriction for more recent purchasers. That would make sense to me anyway.

They have indeed updated the online rebate form for Pre purchases between 7/9/09 and 9/7/09:

Sprint Nextel | Mail-in Rebates from Sprint