Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    7 bucks a month, But the catch is, if u want to replace a defected Pre (no difference if its through wear and tear) after the first month there is an additional 100 buck charge besides your 7 bucks a month.

Say your Pre breaks down after a year, u already payed 84 bucks in insurance and now an extra 100.

In a year from now the Pre will be selling at about 180 bucks new on Ebay like most phones do after a year out.

Why get insurance?
    You could always get a Personal Articles Policy from an insurance company like State Farm. It costs ~$40 and there's no deductible. Covers physical damage, water damage, loss, and theft. They just send you a check for the retail price so you're free to buy the phone of your choice.
    Insurance is useful if your phone gets damaged, lost, or stolen. What if you drop your phone in water tomorrow? You'd be upset then if you didn't get the insurance. If you don't have it then you take your chances.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I bought it because it's a new phone and I didn't know how well it would hold up to abuse. I probably won't keep it more than a month or two.
  5.    #5  
    A month or two I hear but for a year is really pointless right?
    The Sprint insurance is a rip-off at $7 a month and a $100 deductible. As another poster pointed out, getting insurance through an insurance company like State Farm is a lot cheaper. There's actually a thread on that if you search the forum.

For any normal phone I would not even consider the Sprint insurance because it is so much more expensive than State Farm (and other insurance companies). However, I have had so many problems with multiple Pres already I think it's quite likely that I will have multiple insurance claims and I don't want to do that with my regular insurance company. So I think I'll keep the Sprint Insurance despite the fact that it's a rip-off.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    My insurance is 3 bucks a month. The person selling me the phone couldn't tell me the dif between the 3 dollar policy and the 7. Any one know what the 3 dollar policy is.
    After 30 days you don't necessarily have to pay the deductible for TEP. That only comes into play if there is damage to the phone.

Edit: I should note that this info is what I've been told. I've never used TEP myself.
    Last edited by gabbott; 07/09/2009 at 04:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoa2000 View Post
    My insurance is 3 bucks a month. The person selling me the phone couldn't tell me the dif between the 3 dollar policy and the 7. Any one know what the 3 dollar policy is.
    The 3 bucks only covers in store or manufacture defects replacements. It does not cover lost, stolen, water damage, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    After 30 days you don't necessarily have to pay the deductible for TEP. That only comes into play if there is damage to the phone.

Edit: I should note that this info is what I've been told. I've never used TEP myself.
    You are correct.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Accirding to the warranty thay comes with this phone, Palm provides a 1 year limited warranty thay covers manufacturers defects. I don't see why one would get the $3 insurance for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by roninj View Post
    Accirding to the warranty thay comes with this phone, Palm provides a 1 year limited warranty thay covers manufacturers defects. I don't see why one would get the $3 insurance for that.
    If you don't mind Palm holding on to $400 of your money while you wait for your replacement or you can wait 7-10 days for a replacement with no deposit. With the $3 insurance your phone is swapped in store and most of the time the same day unless they are out of stock. There is no question in my eyes that I would rather go to a Sprint store for my replacement.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have always kept the TEP on my phones and feel like its paid off. I can't count the number of times I had to trade in a treo because I dropped it or some other mishap. When I would go into the store they'd swap it out with no questions asked or any deductible. It was a big peace of mind thing.
    Another reason I'm glad I got mine from best buy. Sure, it's 10 bucks a month but there's no deductible, and you get a NEW phone. I don't think it covers water damage but for me, that's ok since I've never needed it. *knocking on wood now
    I'm not sure what the deal with the deductible is because I've replaced two Centros at Sprint stores and not paid a cent. The Sprint insurance definitely paid off.

One might consider dropping the insurance after two years when you can get a new phone under contract for $100-$150.
    GAH! I didn't even think of the personal insurance angle. I'll have to investigate this! thanks!
    @Disaster

you didnt pay deductible because the phone was probably still under 1 year warranty.

You only pay deductible when there is water damage, or the the is lost.

If you are a person whom does not lose phones, I think 1 year mfg warranty is more than enough.

(just my opinion)
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Getting insurance is a tricky thing to consider. I've been with sprint since 1995 and had never gotten insurance. When I got my Razr2 V90m I got the insurance because I had heard of so many people having issues with the phone. Well I had the phone for a little over 2 years and no problems at all so I paid the insurance for nothing. Now I get the pre at launch and 6 hours later phone slips out of my hands onto tile floor and gets a crack. Phone still works fine but now I will use the TEP once I see some newer hardware revisions. With this phone I think I'll be using the TEP quite a bit as they improve the hardware. I figure If I exchange the phone a couple of times I'll get my monies worth out of the insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post

In a year from now the Pre will be selling at about 180 bucks new on Ebay like most phones do after a year out.

Why get insurance?

So maybe it makes sense to keep the insurance coverage for a year. But I wonder, are current smartphones really available for $180 without a contract?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    So maybe it makes sense to keep the insurance coverage for a year. But I wonder, are current smartphones really available for $180 without a contract?
    The Iphone isn't, used iphone 3gs are ebaying for $300. Only some 1G (2g?) phones have auctions underway for $200-ish, and they still have time until they close.

I doubt the Pre would be for that cheap for a long time.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast