Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    quick question, had no idea about the State farm thing. How do u prove to them the phone was either lost or stolen or even broken?
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    quick question, had no idea about the State farm thing. How do u prove to them the phone was either lost or stolen or even broken?
    I'm also wondering the same thing... I'm thinking about doing the State Farm thing but how do they confirm the loss/broken status of the phone?
    bump!
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    i came from att to sprint when the pre came out (i still have an att fuze on att for personal..pre is for business) and att offered the same as the manufactures warranty for free..you could either do exchange by mail which was the best..they send you a refurb and you mail yours in the box or goto a device support center and wait an hour and have them try to fix it then replace it (i exchanged 4 tilts and then they gave me a NEW fuze and ive exchanged the fuze 2 times so far)...soo am i seriously going to have to get either the 4 or 7 plan just to do an exchange that is not damage related? and if i dont i have to send it to palm? thats wack i loved getting a brand new upgraded model for free just cause the phone had so many problems..so do these personal insurance policies cover non damage? or if they dont and you pre doesnt boot up just get mad and smash it? lol
    Sprint honors the 1 year manufacturer warranty in the store. Of course that does not cover physical damage/abuse, liquid damage, loss or stolen device.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    BB warranty is the way to go... $10/mo...

To the person selling the 'refurb' phone on ebay... once you bring it into the store and pay your deductible for a new phone, don't they take your old one? They don't check to see what's wrong with it and whether or not it can be fixed? How do you end up paying $300 for 2 pres (300-100=1 pre, 100 deductible for=2nd pre)?
    Global Posts
    2,636 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palminmypalm View Post
    BB warranty is the way to go... $10/mo...
    BB's is $6.99/mo now.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    does the BB service plan cover normal wear and tear?
    Just get ERP. The $4/mo insurance that covers wet/physical/lost/stolen. The ESRP is not really useful yet as all problems covered by ESRP are covered by your 1 year warranty. After 1 year, you can add ESRP (so then you would have TEP) for $7/mo total).

I would recommend everyone with a palm pre get covered, do you have any idea how much another pre will cost you if it gets wet/lost/stolen ?

Not to mention, if your pre is stolen and you want to buy another one, currently you cant even buy another one. They are only selling Pres with contract, you cant buy one without contract (ie 1 year + since you purchased the last one).

Best buy might sell them w/o contract, I'm not sure, but they want $899 according to their website. Radioshack lists them w/o contract for $849 i think, however they cant sell them without contract so it's just a fictional price.

So.. eBay it is... or pay $100 deductible...
    Quote Originally Posted by JayWill View Post
    BB's is $6.99/mo now.
    Yeah. I was hoping that was right. The sales girl quoted me 9.99 per month, went back the next day to add it and it was 6.99.....sweet.
    Global Posts
    2,636 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    does the BB service plan cover normal wear and tear?
    Yes, it does. The plan says ...

"This includes repair costs for normal wear-and-tear, including defects in materials or workmanship, and failures due to dust, heat and humidity."

The BB plan doesn't cover loss or theft, or damage due to complete submersion in water (careful talking on the phone in the bathroom ). However there's no deductible on any replacements.
    Given how easily the pre seems to be damaged, from even minor drops or sitting in the sun, owning this phone without insurance seems like a huge gamble.

As for BB insurance, I've read a lot of horror stories about BB finding excuses not to honor theer warranties. YMMV.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Never heard of the state farm insurance. Will be checking on that asap.

In the past with my sprint/nextel phones everytime we bring our phones to get fixed it was always something that was not covered. Neverfailed.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I didn't know about that policy. Thanks!

Also, remember that insurance is for those that cannot afford full retail replacement cost. Although the State Farm policy appears to be a grest deal!
    I asked my State Farm agent about this a couple weeks ago. He said that the Personal Articles Policy does not cover cell phones anymore. People that have the coverage already are lucky and get to keep it, but no new policies will be taken out for cell phones.

I asked him about it when I was getting it for my camera gear. I pay $8 a month, no deductible, to cover over $8000 worth of camera gear.

In contrast we pay $7 a month with a $100 deductible to cover a $500 phone.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm114 View Post
    I'm also wondering the same thing... I'm thinking about doing the State Farm thing but how do they confirm the loss/broken status of the phone?
    They cant, but that phone is permanently flagged and cannot be activated again by conventional means
    I've had the $7 insurance for awhile now and went through four Blackberry 8830s without having to pay the deductible. They didn't even make me pay a deductible when my cat chewed a few keys off of it.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    The insurance is $7.00 a month which comes out to 71 months if the cost of the phone is $500, and if you never make a claim, in 5.9 years you would have bought a new phone.

If within the first two years you end up getting thrown in the pool with your phone, drop it off the cliff visiting the Grand Canyon, or run over it with your car, or lose it somewhere while out and about, it will cost you $268 including the deductible to get a replacement phone sent to you within a few days, which is way less than the price of a new one.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Insurance is a great idea, when i first got my Samsung VGA1000, i was running in to Target to get some Super Bowl munchies, it was raining so i was actually running and when i got back home i noticed it was missing, didnt even have the thing for three days . Being a teenager at that time, i didnt have the cash to spend on a new one but i had insurance, paid the deductible. Now, seeing that the Pre is 549.99, that brings me back to my VGA1000 days, and boy am i glad i have insurance, just in case.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234