paid $300 for pre.
    got $100 rebate
    --------------
    use pre for six months.
    7x6= $42
    -----------
    total investment so far $242.00
    ----------
    $100 deductible for new pre (i'm really hard on my phones, they only last around 6-7 months)
    --------
    total investment so far $342
    --------
    sell new in box PRE (or even refurb, just sell with your original box) for approx $300.00
    ------
    total investment so far $42
    ------
    use remainder of $300 of which i sold phone for,towards newese, latest, greatest....
    you do know people can check this?
    [QUOTE=leftyman;1741435]Originally Posted by spcs700wx
    SCENARIO.

paid $300 for pre.
    got $100 rebate
    --------------
    use pre for six months.
    7x6= $42
    -----------
    ----------
    $100 deductible for new pre (i'm really hard on my phones, they only last around 6-7 months)
    --------
    --------
    sell new in box PRE (or even refurb, just sell with your original box) for approx $300.00
    ------
    ------
    use remainder of $300 of which i sold phone for,towards newese, latest, greatest....

Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    i'm not gonna lie about it.. but a new refurb will still bring in close to a NEW IN BOX one...
    [QUOTE=spcs700wx;1741459]
    Originally Posted by spcs700wx
    SCENARIO.

paid $300 for pre.
    got $100 rebate
    --------------
    use pre for six months.
    7x6= $42
    -----------
    ----------
    --------
    --------
    ------
    ------

i'm not gonna lie about it.. but a new refurb will still bring in close to a NEW IN BOX one...
    ok...
    Quick question.. How do they determine it stolen?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    That's because those were all claims under the warranty (part of TEP is Sprint will do warranty claims on your behalf). If you don't have TEP, you just have to call up the manufacturer to file a warranty claim.. Had it been physical or water damage you would have had to pay the deductible.
    Actually most of the replacements were AFTER the 1 yr manufacture warranty from HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    For the Pre it is $100. For other phones it is $50.
    Pre is not the only phone with a $100 deductible. Touch pro and Diamond are $100. I do not have a list so i couldn't tell you where the break point is or which have $100 or $50. I do know they have Tier 1 and Tier 2 phones. I also know most if not all of the smart phones are Tier 2. That means $100 deductible.

This was effective as of April 19th.
    I think I replaced 5-6 Treo's under the my insurance plan and only paid the $50 one time. Most of the time they just replaced them in the stores, but it was only because I had the insurance. Well worth it for me.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=spcs700wx;1741459]
    Originally Posted by spcs700wx
    SCENARIO.

paid $300 for pre.
    got $100 rebate
    --------------
    use pre for six months.
    7x6= $42
    -----------
    ----------
    --------
    --------
    ------
    ------

No it isn't worth remotely close to $300 dollars. Once a a consumer (or end user) has purchased the phone from a retail outlet and that phone as been removed from its box, it is used. A phone purchased from an End User is never worth more that 50% of what the phone costs new: People who pay move than 50% need to learn how to assess real value and negioate that value.

A refurb isn't even worth 50% of a phone sold new.

Anyone who says otherwise is either perpetrator or victim of the saying "A fool and his money are quickly parted".

Also, putting a refurb in a box that is not labeled refurb: I'd personally file a fraud complaint unless the ad for the phone clearly described it as refurb.

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=785

"... not revealing a fact which he/she has a duty to communicate, such as a survey which shows there are only 10 acres of land being purchased and not 20 as originally understood."

By placing the phone in a non-refurb box and only revealing the phone is a refurb if asked may constitute fraud.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/09/2009 at 03:02 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    [QUOTE=Clack;1741531]
    Quote Originally Posted by spcs700wx View Post

No it isn't worth remotely close to $300 dollars. Once a a consumer (or end user) has purchased the phone from a retail outlet and that phone as been removed from its box, it is used. A phone purchased from an End User is never worth more that 50% of what the phone costs new: People who pay move than 50% need to learn how to assess real value and negioate that value.

Anyone who says otherwise is either perpetrator or victim of the saying "A fool and his money are quickly parted".

Also, putting a refurb in a box that is not labeled refurb: I'd personally file a fraud complaint unless the ad for the phone clearly described it as refurb.

law.com Law Dictionary

"... not revealing a fact which he/she has a duty to communicate, such as a survey which shows there are only 10 acres of land being purchased and not 20 as originally understood."

By placing the phone in a non-refurb box and only revealing the phone is a refurb if asked may constitute fraud.

I'M A DUDE SELLING A PHONE ON EBAY..

I'm not a retail outlet. Would you rather me put the phone and all accessories in a ziplock bag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post

oh really? why are iphone refurbs on att websites only discounted $50 from full retail of a new one with 2 year contract..
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=spcs700wx;1741653]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post

I'M A DUDE SELLING A PHONE ON EBAY..

I'm not a retail outlet. Would you rather me put the phone and all accessories in a ziplock bag?
    If the sellers ebay ad clearly stats the phone is a refurb (which is what I said above), then the packaging doesn't matter. But if the seller doesn't reveal that it is a refurb in the posting/ad, the seller can be found guilty of fraud and it would be easier to improve intent if if the seller neither stated the fact upfront and shipped in box for new retail phones. I am not accusing you personally of anything. I am simply saying what fraud is.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    oh really? why are iphone refurbs on att websites only discounted $50 from full retail of a new one with 2 year contract..
    Purchasing from a private seller is different than purchasing from a retailer that backs the purchase with a warrenty (refurb or not). A private seller can never guarentee the phone and it is costly to go after a private seller. However, there are many ways to hold a company such as AT&T accountable.

With that said, I would never buy a refurb, even backed by AT&T with a warrenty, for more than 75% of new price.
    [QUOTE=Clack;1741531]

law.com Law Dictionary

Just because you won't pay it doesn't mean some ***** on ebay won't buy it.

i sold my Iphone 3g, a week after I got my Pre for $365. It also had scuff marks on the back and a screen scratch. He could have bought it at AT&T before he even bid for $99, canceled and paid less than he paid.

So don't say phones are valued at 50% of their new cost because its BS. Maybe a CDMA Pre is lower, I don't doubt that but regardless in good condition they generally sell for new + ETF for any phone that is desirable.
    The one year warranty is from Palm! If you do not have ESRP or TEP you must exchange the phone with Palm. You have 30 days to enroll after purchase.
    According to Sprint ...

A $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim applies to claims for lost, stolen, theft, physical or liquid damage. Repairs or replacements for normal wear and tear and out of warranty mechanical and electrical failure under the Equipment Service and Repair Program portion of TEP are at no charge
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Phone Protection Solutions

Not sure if this will work but its a link to sprints insurance page.

Its either $7 or $4 / month.

The $7 is more convienient, where $4 is the same pretty much as it covers lost or stolen, in which case you can just say it was stolen or lost! Liek I said this is a little more inconvenient as you would have to go to police dept, and fill out a report. bye
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsroy326 View Post
    so is the deductible 50 or 100...
    Quote Originally Posted by Double View Post
    I have the $7 TEP plan as well & it used to pay off when my previous phones would get damaged for whatever reason. They simply replaced them for free. Now supposedly things changed in Feb '09 & they ask for either$50 or $100 depending on the type of phone you have. Sucks but I guess it's better than paying retail $5XX.
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    The one year warranty is from Palm! If you do not have ESRP or TEP you must exchange the phone with Palm. You have 30 days to enroll after purchase.
    According to Sprint ...

A $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim applies to claims for lost, stolen, theft, physical or liquid damage. Repairs or replacements for normal wear and tear and out of warranty mechanical and electrical failure under the Equipment Service and Repair Program portion of TEP are at no charge
    For the love of God, did no one read my post?
    I broke / water damaged / etc my spring Mogul so many times that they were going to drop me if I called in a claim again. I saved about 1000 I bet over the life of my 4 moguls. Now at $100 its not quite as good of a deal now as it was a year ago but it beats the $500 cost for a new phone. Even if you only use it once in the typical lifespan of the phone (2 years) you are saving hundreds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    Very few, if any insurance carriers still cover cell phones. If you find one let me know as I have been searching for years.

Sources: I used to work for a property and casualty insurance company.
    I just recently got insured by a State Farm (I'm in the Los Angeles, CA area) for my Palm Pre, my laptop and digital camera for only $40. I'm covered for damage, water damage, loss and theft. And as said before, no deductibles.

People have only mentioned State Farm but I'm sure that Allstate and some others will do it too.

uptempo777
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
    I broke / water damaged / etc my spring Mogul so many times that they were going to drop me if I called in a claim again. I saved about 1000 I bet over the life of my 4 moguls. Now at $100 its not quite as good of a deal now as it was a year ago but it beats the $500 cost for a new phone. Even if you only use it once in the typical lifespan of the phone (2 years) you are saving hundreds.
    Have you accounted for depreciation of the Palm Pre over 2 years? I don't mean your phone, but the how the cost of the phone will go down.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Great thread but a lot of the information is a bit off so I'll clear this all up.

As of April 19th: Insurance deductibles are $100 for all smart phones (Palms, HTC's, Blackberries) and the Samsung Instinct (Including the new S30 version), all other phones still have the $50 deductible.
    Each line has a $1000 approximate limit of insurance replacements per year, meaning if the full value of your phone is $500 then you only get 2 replacements per year, a $200 phone can be replaced 5 times per year.
    The values are based on the full retail price of the unit, not what you paid at the point of sale.

A new policy for Sprint repair centers concerning Palm's 1 year manufacturer warranty: All Sprint repair centers can now help their Sprint customers with in store warranty replacments EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO ESRP OR TEP COVERAGE.
    This new policy is for all phones, not just Palms.
    If the issue with the phone would normally be covered under Palm's warranty the service center will replace the unit at no charge to the customer. The replacement unit will most likely be refurbished and may take several days to arrive from the repair warehouse.

ESRP (service and repair plan) = $4
    ERP (equipment replacement plan i.e. insurance = $4
    TEP (both of the above) = $7
    These coverages always need to be added within 30 days of activating a new phone to the line (new to the account, can be used/refurb/new).

The personal article insurance (from State Farm or whoever to insure with) works! And it's cheap! BUT, you have to pay up front for your replacement and wait several weeks to be paid back by your insurance company.

As for the value of a refurb phone versus a used phone...I won't get into that since my store buys used/refurb phones cheap and sells them for about 1/2 to 2/3 new value.

I hear Pre's on ebay for cheap is all the rage right now. I think it's amazing all these Brand spankin' new Pres on ebay seems to coincide with a huge number of Pres being stolen from Best Buy stores and off of Fedex trucks. Always check that serial number!
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    i came from att to sprint when the pre came out (i still have an att fuze on att for personal..pre is for business) and att offered the same as the manufactures warranty for free..you could either do exchange by mail which was the best..they send you a refurb and you mail yours in the box or goto a device support center and wait an hour and have them try to fix it then replace it (i exchanged 4 tilts and then they gave me a NEW fuze and ive exchanged the fuze 2 times so far)...soo am i seriously going to have to get either the 4 or 7 plan just to do an exchange that is not damage related? and if i dont i have to send it to palm? thats wack i loved getting a brand new upgraded model for free just cause the phone had so many problems..so do these personal insurance policies cover non damage? or if they dont and you pre doesnt boot up just get mad and smash it? lol
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast