Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    You could always get a Personal Articles Policy from an insurance company like State Farm. It costs ~$40 and there's no deductible. Covers physical damage, water damage, loss, and theft. They just send you a check for the retail price so you're free to buy the phone of your choice.
    Very few, if any insurance carriers still cover cell phones. If you find one let me know as I have been searching for years.

Sources: I used to work for a property and casualty insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by rajun asian View Post
    Another reason I'm glad I got mine from best buy. Sure, it's 10 bucks a month but there's no deductible, and you get a NEW phone. I don't think it covers water damage but for me, that's ok since I've never needed it. *knocking on wood now
    Doesn't cover lost or stolen either.
    Best Buy is not worth it.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Personally, I would never not insure a smart phone as they are very expensive to replace. I am going to look into the personal property insurance thru State Farm as that seems like another viable option. I wonder how long it takes them to get you a check for the phone though. We shall see.
    I agree. I have TEP on my Pre. The way I figure it...$7 a month even after a year = $84 even with a 100 deductible I can not buy a pre for $184. Heck the 755p is still retailing at $550+....Ebay is not an option for me...I would NEVER buy a phone via that route. I sleep a bit better knowing that no matter what I do to the phone, the most I am coming out of pocket for a new pre is $100 regardless of when it happens.
    The whole part about them not necessarily replacing your phone with the same model is scary. Imagine getting an Instinct or a BB as a replacement for the Pre. Fortunately Sprint doesn't have anything comporable to the Pre so I assume you would have a good argument if they sent you any other phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    The Iphone isn't, used iphone 3gs are ebaying for $300. Only some 1G (2g?) phones have auctions underway for $200-ish, and they still have time until they close.

I doubt the Pre would be for that cheap for a long time.

I bet you by Christmas, you can find Palm Pres on ebay for $200-250... I will put money on it.

The reason why Iphones are costly is because they are GSM versions.

Palm Pre is carrier dependent, Sprint.
    I just chatted with Sprint. I was furious when I saw your comment about the double deductable!!! You are right.. it's $100... What's shocking though is the replacement today if I lost my pre without insurance is currently $549! I will look at the alternate insurance route maybe, but I will NOT fork over $549 I can tell you that!!

I let the rep know that I was not happy with having to find out about this double deductable from a forum instead of the rep who sold it to me!!

Thanks!
    i used my 7 tep several times with my old treo's.

defects and problems not caused by damage (ie dropping, water, ect) are replaced free of charge, you just have to wait for a refurb to be available.

That was the old ins. i don't know if it's different for the pre. but the treo's had the 100 dollar for lost/stolen/dropped in toilet by kid, ect.
    I am personally in favor of the TEP. Take my last phone (I had a HTC Touch when it came out. Had an issue (the data port was damaged) and I had to get a TEP warranty replacement. Much later it stopped working and I had ANOTHER warranty replacement. This time they ended up giving me a Touch Pro early this year. THAT phone was all kinds of problems. Screen died the FIRST DAY I had it. New phone less than a month and I started having issues with it talking to bluetooth. Third one seems ok. Ended up giving it to my wife when i got the pre.

So less than 2 years and TEP replaced the phone 5 times? No deductible on ANY of the replacements because they were not caused by me damaging them, but rather due to other issues.

Then there is my son...He has needed the Assurion replacement a couple times. Once for a stolen phone. $50 was a lot cheaper than 2-3 hundred. He is currently having issues with his Rant and will probably be going in today.

TEP has paid for itself around here. One thing i have found that even though they give you a "refurb" a lot of times (at least for the Touch Pro) the new phoen is actually not a refurb when you check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The whole part about them not necessarily replacing your phone with the same model is scary. Imagine getting an Instinct or a BB as a replacement for the Pre. Fortunately Sprint doesn't have anything comporable to the Pre so I assume you would have a good argument if they sent you any other phone.
    This really comes down to stock. When my Mogul died after a year I used the TEP. They didn't have any mogul's in, as it was technically discontinued so they gave me the option of waiting till they got refurb mogul's, go to another store that had them, or replacing it with a Touch. I chose the touch.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Even if you have to pay the deductible 3 times in one year $300 + $84 is cheaper than $549 for one replacement pre so is that a rip off? 3 pre replacements for less than buying a single pre outright is a deal imo!!! It might seem like a rip off till you damage you phone and the insurance could have saved you almost $400

I'll gladly pay 7$ a month for my pre just like I pay for my car and house insurance in case something happens.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp21in View Post
    I just chatted with Sprint. I was furious when I saw your comment about the double deductable!!! You are right.. it's $100... What's shocking though is the replacement today if I lost my pre without insurance is currently $549! I will look at the alternate insurance route maybe, but I will NOT fork over $549 I can tell you that!!

I let the rep know that I was not happy with having to find out about this double deductable from a forum instead of the rep who sold it to me!!

Thanks!
    What are you talking about a "double deductable"?

There is a lot of crazy misinformation floating around in this thread.

The bottom line is that there are two policies in the $7/month plan (which explains the $3/$4 split).

The first ($4/month) is essentially an "enhanced warranty" type plan. This means if something happens to the phone and it's not your fault, i.e., manufacturer defects: the handset doesn't turn on, speaker dies, other electrical failure, non-abuse related mechanical failure, etc. For these things that would normally be reimbursed through warranty, the plan allows you to satisfy the warranty through a Sprint store (have the repair tech evaluate and then either fix for you right there, or order a replacement) instead of through Palm. There is NO deductible for this, and essentially what you are paying for is the convenience factor of being able to be serviced at your local Sprint Store.

The alternative is for you to pursue a claim through Palm (for the 1 year warranty period), which likely means mailing in your phone and having them process it. For those of you who bought the phone with a credit card, your credit card may have extended warranty features that will extend the warranty for another year; but again, there is the convenience factor with the Sprint plan. I'm pursuing a claim right now through Mastercard for my Motorola Q9c, and I've had to provide repair estimates, original receipts, the billing statement, etc. and it's been a lengthy process.

Source: http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...-2024_ESRP.pdf

The second, is a loss, theft, or damage insurance plan for $3/month (with TEP). In other words, if something happened to the phone and it is your damn fault, then this is how your phone will be covered. Here, there is a deductible for replacement, and how much will depend on the value of your phone. For the Palm Pre, it is the maximum deductible: $100.

It kind of makes sense. This protects the insurer against moral hazard, and forces policyholders to not be completely careless with your phone (and it also helps fight insurance fraud). If one loses the phone, or there is visible physical damage from a drop, or if the water indicators snitches on you, then any replacement will require a $100 payment. In other words, it probably won't work if one tries to pretend that the huge crack in the screen or a phone that is dripping wet and won't turn on is the fault of the manufacturer and should be replaced for free.

Source:http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...3-2024_TEP.pdf

I'm not arguing for or against TEP, it's ultimately a personal evaluation of risk and benefit. I will note that right now, a $100 deductible is probably still preferable than paying $550 for a brand new phone, but the prices for Pres is constantly dropping on ebay, so one will have to evaluate their options regularly.
    Last edited by NeoteriX; 07/09/2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    So less than 2 years and TEP replaced the phone 5 times? No deductible on ANY of the replacements because they were not caused by me damaging them, but rather due to other issues.
    That's because those were all claims under the warranty (part of TEP is Sprint will do warranty claims on your behalf). If you don't have TEP, you just have to call up the manufacturer to file a warranty claim.. Had it been physical or water damage you would have had to pay the deductible.
    SCENARIO.

paid $300 for pre.
    got $100 rebate
    --------------
    use pre for six months.
    7x6= $42
    -----------
    total investment so far $242.00
    ----------
    $100 deductible for new pre (i'm really hard on my phones, they only last around 6-7 months)
    --------
    total investment so far $342
    --------
    sell new in box PRE (or even refurb, just sell with your original box) for approx $300.00
    ------
    total investment so far $42
    ------
    use remainder of $300 of which i sold phone for,towards newese, latest, greatest....
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    You could always get a Personal Articles Policy from an insurance company like State Farm. It costs ~$40 and there's no deductible. Covers physical damage, water damage, loss, and theft. They just send you a check for the retail price so you're free to buy the phone of your choice.
    I didn't know about that policy. Thanks!

Also, remember that insurance is for those that cannot afford full retail replacement cost. Although the State Farm policy appears to be a grest deal!
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Insurance is always dependent on the person.

First time i lost my phone I wish i had insurance.

This past year i was a putz and lost my phone twice in a cab in 2 months. I loved insurance (and $50 deductible at the time).
    Quote Originally Posted by jp21in View Post

Thanks!
    Did you consider reading what you were signing up for before actually signing? Sprint doesn't hide the deductible. It's clearly stated on both the web site and in the contract. Would you buy a life insurance or car insurance policy without reading it first?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Phone Protection Solutions

Not sure if this will work but its a link to sprints insurance page.

Its either $7 or $4 / month.

The $7 is more convienient, where $4 is the same pretty much as it covers lost or stolen, in which case you can just say it was stolen or lost! Liek I said this is a little more inconvenient as you would have to go to police dept, and fill out a report. bye
    so is the deductible 50 or 100...
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    I have the $7 TEP plan as well & it used to pay off when my previous phones would get damaged for whatever reason. They simply replaced them for free. Now supposedly things changed in Feb '09 & they ask for either$50 or $100 depending on the type of phone you have. Sucks but I guess it's better than paying retail $5XX.
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsroy326 View Post
    so is the deductible 50 or 100...
    For the Pre it is $100. For other phones it is $50.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast