1.    #1  
    Anyone else having this issue?

When I connect my PRE to my windows XP computer via USB it is not recognized???

I do not have this issue on my Vista laptop?

Any ideas? I have tried 2 different USB cables with the same result.

Thanks in advance

RESOLVED! Front USB ports were the issue. The rear USB ports work just fine!
    Last edited by Cactusone; 07/09/2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Resolved

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Try plugging into a different USB port, preferably in the back of your tower. My front ones did the same thing but it works on the back...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    What does your Pre do? Does it display the connection options?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Try plugging into a different USB port, preferably in the back of your tower. My front ones did the same thing but it works on the back...
    I'll second that. I've got quite a few computers, some of them upgraded over the years. Some of the USB ports don't work, or don't work correctly.

Always try different port and different cables.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I found that I had to plug my Pre directly into the ports on the tower, not on my USB hub or the one built into my monitor. Otherwise I would get the same problem that the OP gets.
    i had this problem as well.. my guess is you lost your stock cable or are using a different cable then the stock cable.

for some reason not all usb cables are activating the flash drive. i lost my cable the first week and had to try 3 cables b4 i found one that worked with the pre. i bought one off ebay that said "will work with data on the pre" or something like that. most cables say "will only charge the pre"
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    What does your Pre do? Does it display the connection options?
    Yes, my PRE does show the connections options... I have tried using the original cable and a second cable. Both cables work fine on the Vista machine.

I am away from home when I get back I will try the USB ports on the back of the tower and report back here.

Thanks for all the tips!!
    Last edited by Cactusone; 07/09/2009 at 09:42 AM.

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Also, you may want to check for ghost devices. Try this TID.

Do steps 1-3.
    Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller section
    Look for any "grayed" out devices and delete (uninstall) them.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks a bunch to all that responded. Problem Solved. The problem was the front USB ports. The rear ones work just fine.

Now I can attempt "the installation of hombrew apps without rooting method". See you on those posts
    Last edited by Cactusone; 07/09/2009 at 06:14 PM.

It may be that there are both 1.0 and 2.0 USB ports. The older ones may not work.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am having a similar problem only when I plug the pre in, the computer recognizes new hardware but when I try to install it, nothing happens. If I go into the control panel and install new hardware, it tells me that it cannot install when the install wizard is already running. So I try to reboot my machine and can't because the install wizard is running. I have to unplug the computer!!!! I have tried this 4 different times and always have the same result. Help?