1.    #1  
    Hi,

We've all heard that running WiFi helps battery life, particularly in weak signal areas. It's also pretty clear that switching from Hybrid to 1xRTT would save battery life for those who want to sacrifice EVDO speed.

At the same time, it's clear that WiFi isn't on when the phone is off. So my question is: is there a benefit to battery life by switching to 1xRTT while using WiFi? Or does the fact that WiFi is on make that redundant?

I'm asking because I spend 90% of my time at home or work, both of which have WiFi. So I wouldn't lose much by switching off EVDO if I think I'm not going to have a charging opportunity.

Thanks!
    then leave wifi on all the time. if you have not noticed, when wifi is enabled it replaces the evdo signal you may or may not have

so placing the phone on 1xRtt wouldn't drastically help.

i have no choice BUT to leave on evdo but then again i live in NYC so im good
    You will probably get more by doing the other things that help you save battery. GPS: Off, Low brightness, email: 30min+, bluetooth: Off, screen off: 30sec - 1min (manual is best), Advance Gestures: On
  4.    #4  
    The main reason I ask is that I would imagine that, when the display is off (and thus WiFi is off), won't the phone still switch from EVDO to 1xRTT for push email?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T0F3R View Post
    You will probably get more by doing the other things that help you save battery. GPS: Off, Low brightness, email: 30min+, bluetooth: Off, screen off: 30sec - 1min (manual is best), Advance Gestures: On
    Where do you set the 30 min thing for email?
    Quote Originally Posted by T0F3R View Post
    All good advice, but I'm puzzled by that last part. How does Advanced Gestures save battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by donjski View Post
    Where do you set the 30 min thing for email?
    Open email, then open the particular account you are using. I think you have to set it separately for each account. Then go to the top left corner and press the "email" button which will bring up a drop-down menu. Press preferences, scroll down to that email account and press it, then you can set the timing for checking email.

Salty
    When using the Advance Gestures it makes it easier/faster to multi task hence less time using the phone and less battery ussage. When you have 4 cards open: going from card 1 to 3 you can use two full swipes of the gesture area and your get there.
    Use the Email setting depending on the amount of emails per account:
    FEW emails set to "As it arrives", MANY emails set to "30min - 1hr"
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Off-Grid View Post
    Open email, then open the particular account you are using. I think you have to set it separately for each account. Then go to the top left corner and press the "email" button which will bring up a drop-down menu. Press preferences, scroll down to that email account and press it, then you can set the timing for checking email.

Salty
    Thanks much. For some reason I am not getting email notification to replies.