1.    #1  
    I don't use my Pre for talking very much (I've used a whopping 29 anytime minutes this cycle which ends this week). However, when I do, I have many times somehow pressed the speaker button and the add to contacts button while merely putting the phone to my ear to talk after dialing.

Are others having this happen and if so, how have you dealt with it (short of conscientiously remembering "oh yeah, i just dialed. i better move the phone ever so slowly towards my head")?
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    your proximity sensor seems to be busted
    I found that it was the meat of my big fat hand wrapping around the phone that was hitting the speaker button before it even made it to my face. Then the contact fun would begin. I'm talking about the meaty part under the thumb that becomes double meaty when you grip something. I've since tried to train myself to place the tip of my thumb on the side of the phone while bringing it to my ear so that my fat hands don't wrap around the front.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcmd View Post
    your proximity sensor seems to be busted
    Really? You never get that? Because I've gotten that with all three Pre's I've had. I figured it was a bug they would work out. OP- you're talking about your face hitting the keypad, yeah? I hear touch-tones sometimes, and look down to see that I've dialed accidental numbers.
    I've never had any problems with my face accidentally hitting on-screen buttons. During a call, the proximity sensor turns the screen off every time.

I'm six feet tall and have very large hands. No problems with fingers wrapping around too much and pressing something before I get the phone to my face either.

I'm amazed at the problems that people seem to come up with. Makes me wonder if I'm just odd for not having these problems or are people just that careless with how they handle technology and gadgets.

I guess I'll just count my blessings.
    I never get this problem.

There is a proximity sensor test on the phone you should do if you don't think it's working. On 3rd launcher tab (unless you moved it), open "Device Info", scroll to the bottom, and hit "More Info". Then hit "Preferences" at the top left, and select "Interactive Tests...". The proximity sensor test is under the "Screen" heading, there you can also test other functions of the phone's screen.
    I had this problem the other day, then I rebooted and it hasn't happened since. So, I do think it's a software glitch.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I had this problem the other day, then I rebooted and it hasn't happened since. So, I do think it's a software glitch.
    Same here. The proximity sensor sometimes has issues that a reboot seems to fix. It's only happened a couple times to me though.
    O
    riginally posted by mikesm:
    Same here. The proximity sensor sometimes has issues that a reboot seems to fix. It's only happened a couple times to me though.
    When you say reboot are you meaning restart or Partial Erase?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I'd have this and similar phone button while in use issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    O

When you say reboot are you meaning restart or Partial Erase?
    Just a simple restart.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I accidentally turned on speakerphone yesterday, but it was my ring finger wrapped around the phone and pressing it before it got to my ear. As long as I'm gripping the phone on the sides I haven't had any issues with pressing buttons while on a call.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Thanks pullbangdead. I ran those tests and my proximity sensor is definitely failed. This is Pre #2 for me, and my 30 days were up last week. Am I going to have to pay the $100 for a replacement? I'm going to be very upset if they make me pay to replace a defective phone.

I can't hang up my phone calls! I have to pull the battery out every time, and now the back cover is loose from all the resets I've had to do. How frustrating...
    I think the proximity sensor only operates in the phone app. So sometimes I think when I answer an incoming call, the phone app isn't fully initialized for a second, and therefore there is a bit of lag in the prox sensor kicking in. That has caused me to push the add to contacts button accidentally. But only once.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by av1atrx View Post
    Thanks pullbangdead. I ran those tests and my proximity sensor is definitely failed. This is Pre #2 for me, and my 30 days were up last week. Am I going to have to pay the $100 for a replacement? I'm going to be very upset if they make me pay to replace a defective phone.

I can't hang up my phone calls! I have to pull the battery out every time, and now the back cover is loose from all the resets I've had to do. How frustrating...
    This should be a warranty replacement, not an exchange. You shouldn't need to pay anything.
    I had this happen one time and it was because my phone had somehow gotten "erased" from the account.

The phone needed to be added back onto the account, while there is no Sprint network connection the phone would let me dial, but when I hit talk and put it to my ear I was hitting buttons because the phone app never actually initialized that I was on a call...because I wasn't.