Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems as if most everyone here are long-time Palm owners. But my first "real" smart phone is my current Blackberry 8830 worldphone. It is a great phone, but with its share of shortcomings.
    One thing I dislike is the microphone. The person you are speaking with on the other end hears EVERYTHING going on around you, even in an office environment. Heaven forbid if you try to have a conversation in the car with a window down. It just picks up way too much background noise for me. Great phone for a mortician I guess.
    There are many things that I think the Pre does much better. How it handles HTML in email and renders web pages, for example.
    I am wondering though, what are your impressions using a Pre daily after coming from a Blackberry as far as call quality and keyboard layout are concerned? Were you happy with the switch or did you miss your BB?
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
    It seems as if most everyone here are long-time Palm owners. But my first "real" smart phone is my current Blackberry 8830 worldphone. It is a great phone, but with its share of shortcomings.
    One thing I dislike is the microphone. The person you are speaking with on the other end hears EVERYTHING going on around you, even in an office environment. Heaven forbid if you try to have a conversation in the car with a window down. It just picks up way too much background noise for me. Great phone for a mortician I guess.
    There are many things that I think the Pre does much better. How it handles HTML in email and renders web pages, for example.
    I am wondering though, what are your impressions using a Pre daily after coming from a Blackberry as far as call quality and keyboard layout are concerned? Were you happy with the switch or did you miss your BB?
    I came from a Pearl. (I know, I know...). The microphone on the Pre works well. The only situation I've found myself to be frustrated with it's operation is in windy conditions; the other party cannot hear you.

I find the messaging to be on par if not better. Threaded conversation, full HTML email, seamless integration of multiple accounts, and so on.

The web browser is world class. PDF view and Doc view are fantastic, as you can pinch/zoom and scroll just as you can in the browser. BlackBerry can't hold a candle to these.

The UI is fantastic. You'll be saying "Good bye Blackberry menu key, and good riddance". You won't even miss the trackball.

I have grown proficient on the keyboard, but keep in mind anything is better than that SureType garbage on the 81xx Blackberry's.

In daily use, I find myself much more productive on this phone that I could ever have been on the Pearl. The mutlitasking and UI make it possible to get a lot done very efficiently.

Please note: I am not a Palm employee, nor do I own any Palm or Sprint stock. I just like the phone!
  3.    #3  
    Thank you very much. I have had "dumb" phones in the past that your caller could hear you clearly on during a tornado. So I was a little disappointed when I realized such an expensive device like the BB possessed such poor "phone" characteristics.
    I was really hoping the Pre would be better in that respect.
    I am glad to hear that you are happy with the keyboard too. I love the one on my phone, and have been a little reluctant to give it up.
    My phone is eligible for an upgrade on 08/01, so I am eagerly awaiting the swap.
    If Linux doesn't have a solution, then you probably have the wrong problem.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I came from a Pearl. (I know, I know...). I have grown proficient on the keyboard, but keep in mind anything is better than that SureType garbage on the 81xx Blackberry's.
    Please note: I am not a Palm employee, nor do I own any Palm or Sprint stock. I just like the phone!

I also came from a pearl.. . I dont know how people hate suretype, I was faster by leaps and bounds at suretype than I am w the pre so far.

Would I make the switch back to blackberry?
    HELL to the no.. this thing is awesome..

Things I dislike:
    When Im on a call and get a message, it still sounds the alert thru the speaker.. wtf?
    When I get a new text, it shows the notification even if Im IN that message thread.. I have to dismiss the notification
    When listening to music, I have to unlock the screen every time I wanna switch songs... If I could hack the pre to have the volume up key switch tracks, like my BB did, I would be set with the world.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I think the transition was pretty easy. I mean, you do need to put yourself in the mindset that these ARE different devices, with different purposes (in my opinion anyway). The blackberry was pretty robust in the settings and certainly the level of security, etc...but it wasn't a consumer device. Multimedia functions were lacking, and as Xyg said, the browser on the Pre is far superior. BB Browser, in my opinion, was the worst of the smart phones I've owned (Moto Q, HTC Mogul, BB 8330, Pre).

Really, the only things that I've said "I miss that" about my BB are:
    -Precise cursor control. 90% of the time I couldn't care less about that damn trackball, but it was easier than the orange key+ move option.
    -The keyboard. I won't lie, the keyboard on the blackberry was easier to type with, however, I've gotten used to the Pre's very quickly, and I can type just about as fast. My initial annoyance was due to me trying to use key combos from the blackberry for punctuation! Got over that quickly, and frankly some keys on the BB are better (single keypress for period, comma, etc).
    -Minor things, such as the ability to set my out-of-office reply on exchange from the device. Not a huge deal, likely able to be fixed in a later update.

All said and done, I have NO regrets about the change to the Pre. It's an amazing device with a quick, modern OS.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    I to am coming from a pearl and getting readjusted from the suretype is a little tough for me as well. However, outside of BBM, I don't really miss much else. The Pre lets me do all I was already doing on my Pearl and thensome. Sure the Pre is a v1, but still much better than what I had.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've had two blackberries and still carry around a work issued one. After using the Pre, the BB will feel ancient and you will NOT miss it.

My next phone had to have two things that the BB just couldn't do -- threaded SMS text messaging and a computer (or, er, an iphone) like web browsing experience. Plus the pre's brilliant execution of multi-tasking, gorgeous and slick UI, the way it integrates and syncs with everything. The Pre has that WOW factor that the BB doesn't have.

That said, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the Pre is still a 1.0 phone. There are a few features that Pre lacks at the moment that have been on most other phones for years, like ability to forward texts, change messaging tones (right now there's only one), send meeting invites on MS Exchange, and a host of other lil things others have mentioned to death in this forum. There's also a number of things I do miss about the BB like the different call/notification profiles, holding down a letter key to turn a letter to CAPs, the extensive auto-correct dictionary, just to name a few.

But, all of those things are inconsequential to me because the Pre does so many other things brilliantly and is the one phone that meets the most of my needs and wants RIGHT NOW. And Palm will continue to update their OS so very likely we'll have many of the missing features people are whining about within a year.

Oh, and I sure as hell don't miss the BB's outdated UI and all the damn scrolling and clicking.
    I had a blackberry and if you're a heavy keyboard user, the extra step of opening and closing the keyboard on the Pre can be a bit annoying. I also think my old blackberrys (Curve and Pearl) were easier to use one-handed. Also the battery on the blackberrys seemed to last a long long time, and the Pre drains the battery pretty quick.

I like my Pre overall because it's more fun (websites, future apps), but if I was a power email / text user, I'd probably stick with the BB.

The call quality on my Pearl BB and Pre are about the same (which I would consider good). The call quality on my Curve sucked.
    I haven't even thought of my Blackberry Curve, one second. Love the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    I haven't even thought of my Blackberry Curve, one second. Love the Pre.
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\

You just spent one second think about how you don't miss it. I don't like liars!!!! ;-)
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  11.    #11  
    The issues with the OS don't really concern me much. Being a long-time Linux user, I fully understanding the "growing pains" and the breakthroughs that come with each update.
    I find that I do quite a bit of texting these days, but I now have hopes that the keyboard changes won't be as painful as I was envisioning.
    The one thing I really hope will come in the future is the ability to store your login info for web sites. I log my mileage info online, and it is aggravating to have to login while standing at the pumps every time.
    If Linux doesn't have a solution, then you probably have the wrong problem.
    I also had an 8830 World Edition and 8330 Curve before moving over to the Pre. Blackberries are business devices through and through, as mentioned by the other posters and that can easily be noticed in the OS. One thing I certainly miss about the Blackberry is the security/options. For example on the Pre, you can change the screen timeout but the screen timeout and screen lock setting is combined and once the screen times out, it also looks. Personally I like my screen to timeout for privacy but not to lock. I want to be able to set my phone down on my desk and the screen to turn off shortly thereafter but if I pick the phone right back up I don't want to be forced to have to reenter the password/pin. The punctuation feature by pressing the spacebar twice is also a cool feature that I miss from the Blackberry. Also, how can we mention the Blackberry without mentioning Blackberry messenger? That is one of the coolest messenger services around and is very useful. Other than that there are subtle differences between the two devices that make the transition more difficult (most notably the better keyboard on the Blackberry) but unless you are a power texter/emailer/IM, you should be good. Honestly the Pre is a better device for the general consumer who does not need to have his/her Outlook/Lotus info synched with the device.

I actually decided to return the Pre and go back to the curve before making the final decision to jump. My biggest issue was not with Sprint service or the Pre, but the fact that right now I am with Alltel/Verizon and between the 80+ million customer in the network and 20 My Circle contacts, and nights and weekends starting at 7pm, I rarely ever actually use any minutes. I need to figure out how I can get something similar to my circle on Sprint...
    I came from a Pearl 8130, and my friend came from a Bold, and we both agree, the Pre is the win.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdaex View Post
    I also came from a pearl.. . I dont know how people hate suretype, I was faster by leaps and bounds at suretype than I am w the pre so far.

Would I make the switch back to blackberry?
    HELL to the no.. this thing is awesome..

Things I dislike:
    When Im on a call and get a message, it still sounds the alert thru the speaker.. wtf?
    When I get a new text, it shows the notification even if Im IN that message thread.. I have to dismiss the notification
    When listening to music, I have to unlock the screen every time I wanna switch songs... If I could hack the pre to have the volume up key switch tracks, like my BB did, I would be set with the world.
    Agree with this post almost entirely. I never understood the hate that suretype gets. I'm sure I'll get faster with the Pre, but I was waaaaaaaaaay faster with Suretype on my Pearl than I am with the Pre, even after a month. And I am definitely not going back to the Pearl (or ATT, for that matter).

I've also noticed the (loud) txt sound when on the phone and the fact that you get a message notification for a txt even when you're in the thread. Good thing notifications are so much fun to dismiss...
    Coming from a Curve, the Pre is a whole 'nother world to me. I'd compare it to the same leap that I felt when I went from a dumbphone to a BB.

Things I miss the most, (Which luckily will probably be addressed with firmware updates.)

1. My freaking notification lights! Hurry up and make those useless LED's good for something!
    2. Spell check. I miss it so much.
    3. The BB had so many options. I mean, we can't even change our notification tones.

Things I DO NOT miss about my Curve.

1. Having to pull the battery all the freaking time because of major memory leaks that never got addressed.
    2. The web browser was useless... God I love my Pre.
    3. I HATE THAT STUPID TRACKBALL. Multitouch navigation is the only way to go.
    4. BB OS sucks. Seriously. It's a dying OS that they just patch up and make it look slightly more snazzy. RIM needs to wipe the slate clean.

I could go on all day about how much I love my Pre compared to my BB. My BB was really good to me and there is a lot I miss on it. But I promise I shed no tears when I sold it for 100$'s to a friend.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    One thing I like about my Wife's BB is setting notifications for everything. Including separate notifications if in a carrying case. Hopefully Pre will have an update that allows more user configurations for ringers etc. especially a notification light in the home button.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    I don't have a Blackberry, but one thing you might miss the trackball for is text navigation, both in a single field and navigating through multiple fields. The orange and swipe shortcut is only okay for that, and that's the only time I miss the d-pad of my older Treos.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I came from a curve, and just sold it on Ebay. No going back, don't miss it at all. This does what the BB did, and a lot more!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    The issues with the OS don't really concern me much. Being a long-time Linux user, I fully understanding the "growing pains" and the breakthroughs that come with each update.
    I find that I do quite a bit of texting these days, but I now have hopes that the keyboard changes won't be as painful as I was envisioning.
    The one thing I really hope will come in the future is the ability to store your login info for web sites. I log my mileage info online, and it is aggravating to have to login while standing at the pumps every time.
    I am pretty sure this is the case but am not 100% positive: The Pre allows cookies and stores log in information and passwords. (Only log in for security sensitive sites such as credit card, bank accounts).
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I think what it comes down to is how you intend to use your device. If you're looking for the WOW factor and don't use your phone for phone calls, messaging, or business purposes, you'll be perfectly happy with the Palm Pre.

If you actually need your device to function (strong vibrate, phone calls, battery life, functional email, etc.) the Pre is not the best option. I love Palm, but calling a FUNCTIONAL OS like RIM's ancient means that you're grasping at insults.

webOS is lacking in so many areas, people look for ways to justify keeping the phone.

I went back to my BlackBerry Curve and will be getting the Tour on launch day. The Pre has some major problems, you just need to decided what kind of user you are...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast