Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That was pretty harsh. I wish I could say he was completely wrong, but there are quite a few small things that bug me about the Pre. I would even get close to saying that it is not functional. The Pre does many things very well including some that the Blackberry really doesn't do at all. I would call BB OS elderly because while it does work very well it isn't quite up with the latest things in technology.
    The ONLY things I miss about my 8830WE are the notification light, the spacebar, and the fact that if it was lost/stolen I wouldn't really give a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I think what it comes down to is how you intend to use your device. If you're looking for the WOW factor and don't use your phone for phone calls, messaging, or business purposes, you'll be perfectly happy with the Palm Pre.

If you actually need your device to function (strong vibrate, phone calls, battery life, functional email, etc.) the Pre is not the best option. I love Palm, but calling a FUNCTIONAL OS like RIM's ancient means that you're grasping at insults.

webOS is lacking in so many areas, people look for ways to justify keeping the phone.

I went back to my BlackBerry Curve and will be getting the Tour on launch day. The Pre has some major problems, you just need to decided what kind of user you are...
    I wish people would quit being so melodramatic. Sure, the Pre doesn't seem to work for you. That doesn't mean that the Pre isn't functional by any means. Let's call this what it is, and say it doesn't meet your needs, and not spout off BS about other people looking for ways to justify keeping the phone.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I wish people would quit being so melodramatic. Sure, the Pre doesn't seem to work for you. That doesn't mean that the Pre isn't functional by any means. Let's call this what it is, and say it doesn't meet your needs, and not spout off BS about other people looking for ways to justify keeping the phone.
    Hit a little close to home did I? Let's have a discussion on functionality in a phone...

What is your opinion on the functionality of the Pre? How does it do as a...
    Phone?
    Email platform?
    Messaging Platform (SMS, MMS, IMs, etc)?
    Calendar?
    Address Book?
    3rd Party Applications?
    Connectivity?
    Customization?
    Battery Life?
    Ruggedness of Design?

Now, I've been on these forums a LONG time, as have you, and have ALWAYS used a Treo, but after waiting forever to get the Pre, I realized Palm had abandoned it's faithful. They were trying to be the next Apple...

I wait for your answers to my questions...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Responses in bold.

Hit a little close to home did I? Absolutely not, you're just being ridiculous.

Let's have a discussion on functionality in a phone...

Phone?
    Better sound quality than my Treo, and absolutely no signal issues that some have had.

Email platform?
    Comparable to Chatter Email for my usage. Supports multiple Exchange servers too, which doesn't help me now but would've about a year ago.

Works entirely as advertised, I've had absolutely no issues using my Pre as my ONLY IM device since I've gotten it. I literally have not signed into Trillian Astra once since. Yahoo would be nice, not a need.

Calendar?
    Again is working perfectly for me, and I'm loving the public Google Calendars I can import. But then, I was already syncing my previous q9c to Google Calendar anyway... just without full functionality.

Address Book?
    Absolutely love it. Again, already had all my stuff on Google Calendar, and adding the extra from Facebook and then having IM contacts attached to that is perfect. I never browse through my address book anyway, always use the keyboard- there's absolutely no issues there for me.

3rd Party Applications?
    This is the single downfall of webOS right now. There just aren't enough third-party applications. What we do have is good, but of course I'd like more (more games, an IRC app, a few other things that would be nice), and it'll come. However, the base operating system covers what I need.

Connectivity?
    Not sure what you're referring to here, because it's my first device that has Wifi as well. Wifi has absolutely no issues with any network I've connected to, I've had great signal everywhere I go, and the Internet has been very fast. I've used a script to add tethering support through Bluetooth and Wifi as well.

Customization?
    You have to be kidding with this one, right? I've never seen any other operating system ever that was even close to this customizable. Pretty much the entire OS is visible in plain Javascript. Root your Pre and change whatever you want, I've made a bunch of little changes already.

Battery Life?
    Another pretty big shortcoming of the device, but it lasts just as long through the day on the stock battery as my 755p did on the stock battery. It doesn't come close to my q9c with it's extended battery (which was also stock), but I didn't expect it to. I'd love more battery life, but it does get me through the day, just barely.

Ruggedness of Design?
    I know this is an issue for many, but I have had absolutely no build quality issues. No stuck pixels, no light leaking or uneven lighting, very very minimal sidewards 'play' on it (not even 1mm), nothing. And I've even dropped it off the bed onto hardwood flooring twice.
    All in all, it's not a perfect device, no, but any issues that there are with it besides things I listed above are minor nitpicks for me, and all of them are software fixable (in fact tweaks on the Dev Wiki fixed many, if not all, of those nitpicks already). I would probably like more storage, but 8GB is just barely acceptable for me. The only other real hardware want is a d-pad for text navigation and moving through fields, but even that could pretty much be fixed through software. (A orange button and tap on the left or right side of the gesture area to move a single character at a time, and being able to use the same gesture to jump through text fields would go a long way in removing that need.)

Like I said, speak for yourself. It didn't work for you, but for many of us it is more than functional. I could never go back to either my q9c or my 755p after using this. I've also had absolutely no issues with the keyboard. After a short adjustment period (less than a day) it feels absolutely right. And I know the layout so well I set the display backlight to 0 using a tweak, which keeps the screen more than bright enough, and actually turns off the keyboard backlighting.
    I came from a 8130 pearl. I purchased me Pre on release date and after playing with it for about half an hour I realised......I hate my pearl....with a passion....I was on my back porch within 15 minutes of this thought with a broken muffler laying next to my slide door MUTILATING my Pearl. ,multi-tasking, AMAZING camera quality, great if not almost perfect browser, the synergy experience is GREAT, and I just can't tell you how happy I was to switch from that piece of junk. I'm very happy with my Pre. Make the switch and I promise you, you won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdaex View Post
    When listening to music, I have to unlock the screen every time I wanna switch songs... If I could hack the pre to have the volume up key switch tracks, like my BB did, I would be set with the world.
    You know you can click the button on the wired headset twice to skip tracks right? Although a button on the phone would be nice
    Took a little getting used to for me. I came from a Blackberry Curve 8330. Loved that phone. Sized rocked, keyboard was fantastic, camera pretty nice. It was a little sluggish, but I got used to it. Pre keeps be because of its browser, cards, and its future. I got used to the keyboard, but Curves keyboard wins hands down. I do like the Pres dedicated @ and "." buttons
    Hit a little close to home did I? Let's have a discussion on functionality in a phone...

Phone?
    Email platform?
    Calendar?
    Address Book?
    3rd Party Applications?
    Connectivity?
    Customization?
    Battery Life?
    Ruggedness of Design?

Now, I've been on these forums a LONG time, as have you, and have ALWAYS used a Treo, but after waiting forever to get the Pre, I realized Palm had abandoned it's faithful. They were trying to be the next Apple...

I agree totally...
    Palm pre is a great phone and I really wanted it to work for me but there are so many things that are left out in the Pre. Yes, it is new and updates will be coming however you cant guarantee that Palm is going to agree with what you feel is missing in the device needs to be added. I feel like...if they did...they would have added alot of the basics in the beginning. I am not a developer...so i don't know...maybe its not that easy.
    Some of my biggest issues are with the calendar...it's slower...it takes me twice as long just to see what i have going on during the day. No Agenda View?? thats pretty basic.
    Like said before...pre is a great device and I do believe that it will be huge in years to come...but for a business person who relies heavily on PIM...pre just doesn't cut it (right now) hopefully that will change.
  10.    #30  
    There are obviously some pretty strong opinions here, as well as a bit of disagreement. But that is exactly what I was looking for. This has made me feel much more comfortable making the switch as soon as my upgrade date rolls around.
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer up their own experience.
    If Linux doesn't have a solution, then you probably have the wrong problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
    There are obviously some pretty strong opinions here, as well as a bit of disagreement. But that is exactly what I was looking for. This has made me feel much more comfortable making the switch as soon as my upgrade date rolls around.
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer up their own experience.
    Glad we could help....so I take it you have decided to make the jump to the Pre then??
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    Glad we could help....so I take it you have decided to make the jump to the Pre then??
    Of course. I really needed a little reassurance more than anything else. Plus, I am giving the BB to the wife to replace her dying Samsung, so I will still be able to fondle it on occasion if I really start to miss it.
    Coming from Linux already, I am fairly sure it will only be a matter of time before I root the Pre and start snooting through the OS. I love the idea of being able to tweak everything to my heart's content. I mean, if it still works properly, you haven't tweaked it enough!
    If Linux doesn't have a solution, then you probably have the wrong problem.
    So the only direct responder so far to your quote is comparing a Treo to the Pre. Not what the OP was looking for. I have had an 8700, 8830 and 8330 most recently. I think I can give you a comparison to a Blackberry.

How does it do as a...
    Phone? It's good. Volume and Mic are excellent. Speakerphone is pretty good. All in all I would say both are a little better than on the blackberry. The interface is both better and worse. Better in that you can touch the screen, dial with big numbers - that have letters under them so you can use company directories and such. Plus the call list is easier to get to. On the worse side, I don't understand why you can't hold a speed dial button and make a call from within the phone app. You have to hit the bottom button to move phone to card mode and then hold the speed dial button. Strange. Plus if I am joining a con call and want to paste the passcode in, I am SOL. I can't get the paste to work in the dialer.
    Email platform? Again, pros and cons here. On the pro side it is easier to set up than a BB. HTML renders much better and there is more real estate on the screen for messages. Deleting with a swipe is nice (though kind of laggy sometimes). On the negative, it does not work with as many email systems and some of the features aren't there. I miss the spell checker for sure. I also miss the notification light, seeing the "new since last in mailbox" count instead of just an unread count. And I want to be able to mark all previous messages read and I can't.
    Messaging Platform (SMS, MMS, IMs, etc)?Unless you have a bunch of blackberry messenger buddies, it is far supperior. Threading messages (much better than a cluttered inbox), better looking, and merged IM/SMS is great. Plus you see inline pictures instead of having to open them separately. Much much better.
    Calendar?Some complain but I like it much better. I like the scrunched open time, it is easier to navigate, looks nicer and I can put multiple calendars on it. Makes the BB look like a Palm Pilot from 1998. The only missing feature is meeting invites. I could really use that and hope it will be added.
    Address Book?Again, way better on the Pre. Just as easy to search, includes multiple sources in a natural way (unlike the Facebook app) and I love getting photos for contacts out of facebook instead of having to take them myself. No one wants to pose for you phone's contact ID photo.
    3rd Party Applications?Blackberry has way more so far. However what the Pre has are way better. I looked forever for a Flightview type app on the Blackberry and went through a bunch that just didn't work. I finally found one but the ease of use on the Pre makes most apps much better. Now if we could just get a few thousand instead of 30....
    Connectivity?No problem. Wifi works very well. Signal is better with 1.03 but not quite as good as my BB was. But still pretty good. USB works well for drag and drop just like the BB. Media sync for iTunes is much better than the BB solution if you are interested in that.
    Customization?Well I haven't done any rooting so I don't know about that but the BB kills the Pre here. Aside from the fact that it is very non-intuitive and complex on the BB (like a bolt on feature usually is) the BB can do way more than the Pre. You can't change anything but the ring tone on the Pre. So far....
    Battery Life?Kinda sucks on the Pre. I can't make it through a day. I usually could on the 8330 but once a week I would get very low by 5 pm. The Pre needs some work on this front and I am charging at my desk and in the car to make sure I don't run out
    Ruggedness of Design? For me it is similar. Moving parts move so understand that. My BBerries all creaked and felt like plastic too so big deal.

They are trying to be the next Apple but that doesn't mean they "abandoned" us. I love my Pre and I have had a 650 and 700p plus 5 other PDA's from Palm It was time to move on from Palm OS (like way overdue).

So to answer the OP's question. I am keeping the Pre and looking forward to updates from Palm. I am not switching to the tour. I just can't go back to a scroll around and menu based OS that was designed for pagers and has been updated for phones. It is more mature than Palm OS (made for PDA's and updated for phones) but it is still not even close to up for the job on a modern device. Mature feature set but way too many scrolls, clicks, menu's, and more scrolls.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Business Owner's Review of the Pre

You'll find my main complaints on the phone in my review here. Palm has a LONG way to go on this device before it could be considered a real competitor to BlackBerry or Apple. It's got some great ideas (Synergy, Cards, etc.) but the battery life is HORRIFIC unless you turn everything off. Then again, if you have to turn everything off, you might as well not even have it!

Defending this as a 1.0 device is a pretty pathetic excuse as well. Palm knew what they were up against. Not having developers ready on launch day is inexcusable. Their lack of apps is pitiful, as is their track records for updates.

I loved Palm, but no longer. The last thing I wanted was another fruit phone. Gone is the customization and usefulness that was the hallmark of Palm products. They are more focused on flash and "wow" than actual functionality, which is fine, as long as people understand that.

Good luck on your decision. It's a very personal one, but make sure you're informed and not just blinded by the hype. Look at your actual usage patterns and make sure you can deal with the Pre's MANY shortcomings. If you can... you'll be a happy person. If you're like myself, who runs his business from his phone, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Good luck!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12