Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Howdy y'all from my Off-Grid utopia in the very center of Texas. I am typing this on my laptop powered totally (right now) by solar power which is stored in batteries which happens to be the topic of this new review. This could get awkward because I think I am at about 11 posts or so and I don't know when PreCentral is going to let me post links. So we'll see...

Ok, if you haven't yet read my Off-Grid Pre Review, please do so here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html

As background for my current review, you should read the review of the latest Palm Pre commercial by some nitwit at PCWorld:

Assigning Blame for That Weird Palm Pre Commercial - PC World

So here is the way this deal works... Some IPhone autobot gets the memo from Apple headquarters:

TALKING POINTS!

1. The Pre doesn't have very many apps! That sucks! IPhone has millions of apps no one will ever know about or use, and you probably only will ever regularly use a couple of dozen, but STAY ON MESSAGE! Millions of useless apps is better than less than that!

2. Bad build quality! If you torque your Pre from side to side like some ham-fisted butcher trying to twist off a shank bone, it begins to feel loose and "oreo-y". Also, it has sharp corners that can be used by careless drunks to shave or give Columbian neckties! Bad. Bad. Bad. build (Note, do not mention that Pre has a removable battery, or that it doesn't melt and/or turn pink if you accidentally becomes SUMMER, or that Pre owners get a whole month to return and exchange phones with legitimate problems)

3. Battery life sucks! Stick to this one even if it is no longer true and if it hasn't been true since 1.0.2. Just keep repeating it. And whatever you do, do not point Pre owners to any readily available advice about extending battery life. Also, don't let them know that you can buy a replacement battery with extended life (Replace a battery? Who would want to be able to do that? What a silly idea).

So next, said autobot writes a review of a commercial that basically goes like this:

1. I didn't like the commercial.
    2. Did I mention the talking points?

Ok, so here is my review of the Palm Pre battery life as I have experienced it in my Off-Grid life here in hot Central Texas...

On the morning of the day I read the stupid PCWorld Palm Pre commercial review, I woke up at around 7 a.m. in West Texas at my parents house. A neighbor who had just moved here from Canada and I drove the four hours in order that he could get his mini-van through customs. Don't ask me. I just went to help. Anyway, it turns out that Customs was closed on Friday, so we ended up staying and not leaving until Tuesday. I left the Pre on the touchstone overnight on Monday night so when I got up at 7 a.m. the phone was 100% charged.

I utilize all of the battery saving tips that are ubiquitous on the Internet and on sites like PreCentral (which is why I scoff and laugh at people still claiming to get 4 or 5 hours of battery life on their phone). I turn on the Wi-Fi if there is a strong Wi-Fi signal (like in my cabin), and I turn it off when there is not (like usually when I am driving around). I keep the GPS turned off unless I am using it. I multi-task a lot, but I close unused or unnecessary cards when I am not planning on using them any time soon. I keep my "cards" open down to about 3 or 4. I adjusted my phone settings so the email is checked only every 30 minutes and I have the screen go off fairly quickly. In addition to that. Immediately upon finishing a task, if I am not going to be using the phone, I hit "off" with my thumb to make sure the screen goes off.

I used the phone quite a bit in the morning because my wife, children, and a few of the folks in our community were texting me. I was also using the Pre to check weather for the drive home, and reading the news. Every so often I would check email. Texts were coming in almost constantly. We hit the road heading home at about 9 a.m., and we stopped in Slaton 45 minutes later for a coffee, where I checked email, texts, weather, etc. on the Pre while my buddy got the coffee. I used the GPS location two or three times in the next two hours, along with checking mail and sending/receiving texts. We stopped in Abilene to go to Sam's Club and to eat lunch. My wife and children were texting me grocery lists, etc. and I used the Pre to read the news, check email, etc. while we were at the restaurant. There was standard usage until we got near home, then I was texting quite a bit to see if there was anything else anyone needed at the store before we made it home. When I got home I had a lot of work to do, so the Pre stayed in my pocket (a few texts here and there) until around 7 p.m. At this point I had about 34% battery life left after 12 hours. I got online with the Pre and was reading Tweets on Twitter when I came across a Tweet about the stupid commercial review from PCWorld.

So get this, 12 hours after I took the Pre off of the Touchstone, I was surfing Twitter, I minimized and multi-tasked by opening up a web page to read the nitwit's commercial review. The commercial review had a link to the video of the commercial, so I minimized that web card and opened up the video link and watched the commercial. All this time I am getting texts from neighbors who are going to come over to say hi and sit on the porch later in the evening. With those four cards open, I switch over and tell the Pre to check my email.

Now... with all that actual multi-tasking going on (real multi-tasking, not fake multi-tasking) 12 hours after I charged the phone and after a full day of heavy usage, what do you think crossed my mind when Mr. Nitwit Apple Hack Spokesman says "The commercial doesn't stop half-way through, for example, which would symbolically illustrated another life, the Palm Pre's battery life, which Wired.com described as 'puny'". TALKING POINTS!!!

I don't have the new extended life battery, and frankly I don't need one. I really don't know what these people are talking about, but I can tell you this... Apple is pushing a lot of people very, very hard to keep spewing the Talking Points memo verbatim. You know, after my very honest and unsolicited review of the Pre as an Off-Grid tool, I was accused of everything from Hypocrisy to being a paid shill for Palm. Still, to this day I haven't even received a T-Shirt for all my hard work. I wonder what Apple is paying these clowns who are writing these stupid reviews for PCWorld and other periodicals, because I think I am getting the short end of the stick here. I did get a bunch of people following me on Twitter (mbunker) but I would rather they send me a new Palm Pre for my wife, since she just smashed her Samsung Highnote in the back door of our van. Get that Palm? Somebody Tweet them, and also tell them this...

MORE APPS NOW so the APP fiends can go nuts and shut up the IPhone nitwits.

Thank you for your time,

Michael Bunker (Salty Off-Grid)

P.S. Right now it is 1:15 on Wednesday. Had a fully charged Pre at 8 a.m., heavy usage, and I'm sitting at 84% after over 6 hours. What are these people talking about?
    Very nice. As far as your question about what Apple is paying the faithful: it's nothing, and that's the irony. All Apple has done is let them into the club, which is enough for some folks.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    You tell 'em Salty! And you should DEFINITELY be getting at least a free Pre from Palm. I mean, they give em out to their "real reviewers." I would call you a real reviewer who's keepin' it real.

My only disagreement with you is the whole oreo-twisting thing. See, my beloved pre twists really quite badly (i.e.: gets in the way of the power button and the screen "skates" along with my gestures). And that is with very, very light and gentle use. I couldn't find a replacement that was any better so I kept my original one. I'll try to swap it out for a more stable slider before my 30 days is up.

So, I think that Palm does need to get tighter on the QC insofar as the sliders go. But I still love the pre and think it is the best phone out there.

Just wait till we get some more apps! I see all of this negative Apple-centric publicity as evidence that the pre has the iPhone by the app for the gonads. There is an app for that, afterall, isn't there?!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  4.    #4  
    Wynand32,

Got your PM. PreCentral forums doesn't allow me to respond to a PM until I have 15 posts, and I think the last one was 13! Anyways thanks for the Message. I guess my view is that if there is someone that is having a legitimate battery life or hardware issue, then they ought to (within the thirty days) go swap out the phone until they get one that works properly. I can tell you that it has not been an issue with me since day 3 or 4 and I appreciate that Palm and Sprint let me return the unit until I get a perfect one for up to 30 days. Thankfully I have not had to do that and have had no issues at all.

Michael
    @ Salty,
    Great article/review. I would love to know what your settings are at for your battery to last that long. When you said "P.S. Right now it is 1:15 on Wednesday. Had a fully charged Pre at 8 a.m., heavy usage, and I'm sitting at 84% after over 6 hours. What are these people talking about?" I couldn't even sniff that with my pre now. I will be at 65% to 70%. Thanks and I can't wait to read your next article/review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Off-Grid View Post
    Wynand32,

Got your PM. PreCentral forums doesn't allow me to respond to a PM until I have 15 posts, and I think the last one was 13! Anyways thanks for the Message. I guess my view is that if there is someone that is having a legitimate battery life or hardware issue, then they ought to (within the thirty days) go swap out the phone until they get one that works properly. I can tell you that it has not been an issue with me since day 3 or 4 and I appreciate that Palm and Sprint let me return the unit until I get a perfect one for up to 30 days. Thankfully I have not had to do that and have had no issues at all.

Michael
    Thing about replacing the phone is 1) I can't verify that the battery life is due to the actual hardware and 2) other than that and some very-hard-to-notice stuck pixels, my Pre's pretty nice.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7.    #7  
    skineejay,

Brightness is at about 10%
    Turn off after: 1 min.
    Advanced Gestures: off
    Get Email: 15 mins.
    GPS: off
    Wi-Fi: on Full Wi-Fi signal, two bars Sprint Signal

Currently 2:47 Palm Pre at 73%
    My Pre has gone from 6:30A to now (3PM) and I'm at 73% with light/moderate use. Not too shabby for 8.5 hrs eh?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    My battery life has been getting progressively better.

And doesn't the iPhone have a lot of fart apps? I guess that puts it over the top...
    Quote Originally Posted by thegeester68 View Post
    My Pre has gone from 6:30A to now (3PM) and I'm at 73% with light/moderate use. Not too shabby for 8.5 hrs eh?
    In addition,

Brightness approx 20-25%
    WiFi on in good spots, off otherwise
    Screen off after 30 seconds
    Bluetooth off
    GPS has been always on, but I might change that to see what additional battery life I can get.
    GMail set to as it arrives and Yahoo/AOL every 30 mins.
    Have 300 plus contacts in Facebook and over 170 in Google
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    skineejay,

Brightness is at about 10%
    Turn off after: 1 min.
    Advanced Gestures: off
    Get Email: 15 mins.
    GPS: off
    Wi-Fi: on Full Wi-Fi signal, two bars Sprint Signal

Currently 2:47 Palm Pre at 73%
    Wifi makes all the difference in battery life. When I am at home- wifi is on.

Monday I left the house at 9:00, 96% battery, it had been off the charger since 10 sunday night. When I got in my truck I turned off wifi. I drove 50 miles to a clients office and stayed there till about 12:30. During that time I had downloaded a pdf from email, sent out about 15 emails and 50 text messages. I even snapped 3 photos.

From there I went to lunch then to about 3 more clients. Sending probably another 50 text messages and some more emails. During lunch I caught up on the weekends licd.com and read through the weekend engadget and palm pre.

Got home around 1800, turned on Wifi and had dinner. Used pandora while I swam for half an hour. I put the phone on the charger around 2200, my battery was around 15% +- 5%.
    I also had a talk time for the day of atleast 2 hours if not 2.5 hours
    If I am correct that is 13 hours and only 85% battery drain.

For the Record
    Bluetooth off
    Wifi on when available at home
    GPS always on
    Brightness is lowest
    Email as arrives
    Screen off after 30s

My battery gets eaten like crazy when my signal changes a lot. However I can make a full day without charging the battery. I usually don't, but on weekends i generally don't charge until bed.
    This is not a complaint because I love my palm pre, but I wish I can get more life out of my battery. I believe I adjusted all of my settings and still it is an issue, and that is why I ordered an extra battery. I changed brightness of screen, turned off gps, adjusted email notifications, and using wifi while home, is there something that I have missed?
    Quote Originally Posted by tasnapper View Post
    This is not a complaint because I love my palm pre, but I wish I can get more life out of my battery. I believe I adjusted all of my settings and still it is an issue, and that is why I ordered an extra battery. I changed brightness of screen, turned off gps, adjusted email notifications, and using wifi while home, is there something that I have missed?
    How long have you had your Pre and how much battery life are you getting currently?
  14.    #14  
    Shockingly, I am online with Sprint considering canceling service altogether because Sprint is wanting to gig me for $150 for a replacement for my wife's smashed Samsung Highnote. Frankly, these people ought to be giving me another Pre, but apparently they don't see it that way. Stay tuned for updates.

Salty
    Just out of curiosity...why are you expecting a Pre to replace the smashed Highnote? Let us know if they oblige...
    I habe had the pre since June 17th, and a little over 2 hrs and down to 75%. I'm thinking that my signal with wifi & sprint is weak and that is why my battery drains quickly.
  17.    #17  
    Oh no, I never asked for a Pre. I am saying here, among friends, that frankly with the amount of work and help I've given Sprint and Palm that if they were smart they would give me a Pre. Frankly I told the Sprint guy I would take a dixie cup and a string. I don't care. I just don't want to pay $150 for their "cheapest phone" when we all know that that is not the case. I never asked Sprint for anything except to cancel all my service, which so far they have not been willing to do. And if they asked if I was happy with paying full price for a replacement phone I said, "No I am not". So I don't want anyone to have the impression that I asked Sprint for anything other than "whatever they could do for me". Which so far, is nothing.

Michael (Salty Off-Grid)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Michael, how much time is left on the contract for your wife's phone? I can't believe they're not willing to work with you (although I do believe it). You might want to call Sprint's customer retention line @ 1-888-211-4727 and tell them your story. I hear they're the ones who are best to deal with for such situations. Good luck! I hope Sprint doesn't drive away someone who has been such an advocate for Palm, and transitively for Sprint up until now.
  19.    #19  
    Nullity, Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. Oh, and how do I get one of those pictures of jumping out of an airplane only without having to actually jump out of an airplane, because that would be cool.

Michael
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Nullity, Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. Oh, and how do I get one of those pictures of jumping out of an airplane only without having to actually jump out of an airplane, because that would be cool.

Michael
    You're welcome. And thank you for the excellent articles you've written about the Pre- you've undoubtedly brought more people to the cause!

As for the photo, I highly recommend:

1. Hitting Google Images with a search for "aerial image".
    2. Apply scotch tape liberally to your face to simulate the effects of 120 MPH wind, then snap a photo with your pre.
    3. "Borrow" a copy of Photoshop and mix it all up!

Not quite as much of a rush as the real thing, but in most company you can tell the story as if it had really happened and nobody can call you out for lack of their own personal experience. Plus, it is about $300 less expensive this way and you don't have to be saddled by some dude in a funny helmet, either! Win-win.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast