Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Hello,

I am a podcast nut, on my iPhone I'd listen to them every time I was in the car, which is about 1.5 hours every weekday. I recently got my Pre sync'd with iTunes, added my podcasts. Today I stopped at Best Buy on the way to work. After I was done at the store I plugged my Pre back into my aux cable, found the podcast and clicked play. Sadly it started over.

Any way to prevent this?
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Haven't used it for a podcast yet other than streaming Palmcast from this site. But can you simply leave the card open with it paused?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Considering how much effort they put into hacking the Pre to work with iTunes then it's a gigantic omission that severely breaks the player for podcast/audiobook listeners. No bookmarking and no Scrub Bar. So you essentially need to memorize where you were at and then hold down Fast Forward as it skips through the track. It's a pain that gets even more annoying when you're trying to skip just a few seconds and the Pre skips the entire track forcing you to restart the process.

BTW, since the WebOS Defense Force will probably jump on this "non-issue" then I'll save them time and post their standard excuse. "Well, in 2007 the iPod didn't have a scrub bar either so just be patient and stop trying to have discussions on this discussion board."
    Agreed, this is one of the most glaring omissions in the feature set for this phone. Fortunately (for the adventurous), this awesome community has come to the rescue!! Check out the Media Player Patch over at predevwiki. com, it adds bookmarking to the media player. It does require rooting your pre, but the instructions are very step-by-step, and it works like gravy. It automatically places a bookmark whenever you skip, pause, or close; shows the bookmark with a red line, and skips to the bookmark from the beginning of a song. Second best thing i've done to my Pre (after installing Pandora), and pretty much makes me happy - at least, until someone writes a better music player from scratch. Cause we all know this one blows.
    This is a big pet peeve of mine as well...

what's worse is that the video player will jump-back to where you left off...even if you close the video player card. Palm, why not the music player too?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eproteus View Post
    Agreed, this is one of the most glaring omissions in the feature set for this phone. Fortunately (for the adventurous), this awesome community has come to the rescue!! Check out the Media Player Patch over at predevwiki. com, it adds bookmarking to the media player. It does require rooting your pre, but the instructions are very step-by-step, and it works like gravy. It automatically places a bookmark whenever you skip, pause, or close; shows the bookmark with a red line, and skips to the bookmark from the beginning of a song. Second best thing i've done to my Pre (after installing Pandora), and pretty much makes me happy - at least, until someone writes a better music player from scratch. Cause we all know this one blows.
    I'm using this patch as well. LOVE IT!! Huge thanks to my friend drnull for writing it. I recommend you all give it a try.

This and the patch for downloading files in the browser make my Pre a usable podcast listening machine.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I'll need to check out rooting my phone then, because I really can't be without my podcasts!!!
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    I use google.com /reader/i to listen to my podcasts streaming directly.
    I set up my podcast links (exporting the .opml from itunes), then in google reader i click on "See original".
    This will then usually bring up the player and I can scrub. Granted it doesn't remember where you were, but scrubbing does exist.

baldric
    There is a scrub bar, kinda, it's just a little hidden. When you're playing your track, hit the "list" button, the one that looks like three lines of text. You'll be taken to a playlist view. Here, you can position yourself in the track by using FF and REWIND buttons, and you get to see the time value of the position. Not the best system, but better than the album art view.