Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    tried snapping a few pics of someone in class and the professor heard the damn noise.

How do i shut off the noise?
    Switch on the top of the phone. Turns all sounds off.
    wow do people even try to troubleshoot anything before posting?
  4.    #4  
    I meant if there was a setting to always turn the noise off without having to turn the switch?
    plug in headphones or headsets
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Yea REALLY
    I can see the OP's point. Honestly, the "shutter" sound is incredibly juvenile. There should be a way to shut it off without having to mute your phone. If there is, I haven't found it. Although, to be fair, I just started looking.

I tried to sneak up on our kitten the other day to get a covert pic of her. Anyway, the "shutter" sound scrared the cr@p outta her. Now, she thinks the pre is the devil
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Currently you must root your phone to do this. The how to is in the wiki. Here is the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    Please tell me that question was rhetorical.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Switch on the top of the phone. Turns all sounds off.
    I wish...

It may mute the camera, but unfortunately the "mute" slider doesn't silence videos or alarm sounds (& possibly other noises as well). Can't wait 'til some developer actually fixes the slider to make it a true mute slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I wish...

It may mute the camera, but unfortunately the "mute" slider doesn't silence videos or alarm sounds (& possibly other noises as well). Can't wait 'til some developer actually fixes the slider to make it a true mute slider.
    Actually, I like that the mute slider doesn't silence everything. I can silence calls while still being able to hear my alarm. It was actually a feature that I used to wish that I had on my 800.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I wish...

Actually, not keep it the way it is. If I forget to unmute after work, don't use the phone, fall asleep it better well wake me up in the morning with an alarm.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    IMO a silent switch should silence EVERY phone sound.

So the only way to make my phone completly silent is to turn it off?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    Actually, not keep it the way it is. If I forget to unmute after work, don't use the phone, fall asleep it better well wake me up in the morning with an alarm.
    Be more responsible.
    The mute switch is a perfect solution to the op's problem. Why would you want to go into some menu to specifically turn off the sound when you can simply flip a switch, take your pics, and flip the switch back.

It amazes me that people want a much harder drawn out solution to the existing one.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Actually, what we need as a separate volume control for each type of sound the pre could possibly make, with scheduling and some kind of optional ambient noise sampling. You would need to calibrate it so that the output is just the right amount of decibels above ambient that only you can hear it. This is of course based on the average distance between your pre and your head, whcih could be sampled over time using a bluetooth gps you wear on your head, which the pre compares to its own gps.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    I'll buy you an alarm clock like I have, to keep by your bed, if you let the mute switch mute everything!

The problem I have with the current setup is that various noises override the mute slider. Alarms do, appointments don't. Videos do, phone and messaging doesn't. Charger and camera sounds are muted, GPS voice turn directions aren't. It's bizarre! Which drunk engineer made the dos and don't list?!

The real solution is to allow the end user to make the choices in a control panel. A "Silent Sound Profile" and a "Regular Sound Profile." Everybody's happy.

I want to be able to go into a meeting, or church (or my family room where my wife's asleep on the couch beside me) and not worry about some stray sound chiming in.

I used to be able to go into a meeting and just slide one slider and know I was safe. Now I have to slide the slider, check various apps, and make sure that various apps I might launch during a meeting won't break the sound barrier.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The mute switch is a perfect solution to the op's problem. Why would you want to go into some menu to specifically turn off the sound when you can simply flip a switch, take your pics, and flip the switch back.

It amazes me that people want a much harder drawn out solution to the existing one.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

I have to agree with this. I really like the current behavior of the mute switch.
    I still have to wonder about people who want camera phones to be silent. The privacy implications are just too great, camera phones need sounds IMO, so people in the locker room can tell if you're sending a text or taking a picture. And that's just one example.

You don't need to be taking pictures in class anyway. Millions of people have successfully completed classes of all levels without ever taking pictures during lectures, you can too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast