Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I love my Pre. No problems since 8:36 am on release day.

Second, I'll be flying to France for three weeks near the end of the month. I wondered if any other Pre users had been to Europe with their Pre and what I could expect...

1 - The charger that came with the Pre is an international charger with an adapter that will work in European outlets, right? No problems charging the device, I'm hoping.

2 - I know that my phone coverage will be absent, so i plan to set the device to 'airplane mode', and then go back in and turn on WiFi independently. (I've tried this here and it works.) The question is, and this may sound naive, but are there any other consideration I should make before accessing any WiFi networks in Europe? Does it work the same? Are there language issues?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    1. You should have no electrical problems charging, but you will need an adapter to make the plug fit the wall.

2. Should be no issue with wifi working as far as I have experienced.
    I just got back from Europe (multiple countries) - yes, it works fine to charge it w/an adapter, and yes it works fine on wifi there as well (at least the wifi hotspots I used).
    I was in Europe for 2 weeks as well. You'll have no problems. I didn't bring my wall adapter out of fear. I charged with my computer..

WiFi is fine and easy, but in France you'll likely have to pay for it many places except McDonalds. Many places you can connect, but then have to open a web browser and pay (lots of times there is no english on those sites).

There was a couple places, like the airport, that had agreements with other company's for logging into their wifi. Sprint was on their list, but I had no idea what to use for username and password. It might be worth trying to call them to see if you can get one?

Eastern europe is much better about having lots of free wifi everywhere.

Also, forget about GPS working without a cell signal. No geotagging photos.
    So if I understand correctly, you're carrying a phone but not using the phone features? Or are you using the wifi to make VOIP calls? Just curious. Thanks
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoman View Post
    So if I understand correctly, you're carrying a phone but not using the phone features? Or are you using the wifi to make VOIP calls? Just curious. Thanks
    Yes, I'm carrying the phone (although after ten-plus years of Palm devices, I still think of it as more of a PDA than a phone). It will be usefull at the airport for calls when departing and arriving, on the flight for entertainment (music and movies), for taking quick snapshots of the trip (I won't bring my Nikon to the beach in France), and if I can access WiFi (as it appears I will) I can keep up to date on email.

The Pre, to me, is much more than a phone. For so many years I had a Palm PDA (Palm Vx, Tugsten T3, Sony Clie, Treo 650 and 755) and before the Treo, I carried the PDA and a phone. the Treo simply integrated a phone into what I already had and used daily. The Pre isn't quite the Treo, as a PDA, but it does enough PDA-stuff for me to love it.

I just wish it had a few more quickie games to waste time with - that checkers game just doesn't do it for me.
    That helps. I guess keeping the phone disabled and only using wi-fi avoids extreme charges for data while roaming. I've roamed with At&T before with a phone and had a couple of $100 phone calls as a result. But I've heard the data charges can increase that by an order of magnitude.
    Rhoman, it's not to avoid charges it's because Sprint phones don't work overseas. AT&T phones do because it's a different technology.
    yep. i just got back from europe. phone charger works fine on the higher voltage -- just pop in a plug adapter and you're good to go. wifi works just the same as it does here (when it's free!).

have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartre View Post
    .... for taking quick snapshots of the trip (I won't bring my Nikon to the beach in France)....
    Are you going to Nice?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    Rhoman, it's not to avoid charges it's because Sprint phones don't work overseas. AT&T phones do because it's a different technology.
    I have heard there are SOME places in Europe, like in the Balkans, that CDMA is used so your Sprint phone can work. Even still, the roaming charges aren't worth it. In the yucatan my sprint phone worked, at $2 a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I have heard there are SOME places in Europe, like in the Balkans, that CDMA is used so your Sprint phone can work. Even still, the roaming charges aren't worth it. In the yucatan my sprint phone worked, at $2 a minute.
    Don't get his hopes too high Any CDMA coverage is going to be extremely limited in Europe.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    See if skype was available you'd be able to make VOIP calls. I'm hoping Fring would jump on board and create something.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Are you going to Nice?
    We're actually staying a friend's place in Antibes. We went to Nice three years ago and loved it, so we'll probably drive over for a day. We also plan to drive over to Monte Carlo and Cannes during our stay.

Most of the time, though, my plan is to do nothing. hang out at beach or pool and soak up the sun and do nothing. Nothing.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    See if skype was available you'd be able to make VOIP calls. I'm hoping Fring would jump on board and create something.
    That would be perfect - but I can't imagine it happening in the next week or two... I'll be happy if they give us just a few more apps to play with before I leave. (Maybe better track management in the music player?)
    If you could hack the GPS part of the Sprint Airave - you could just plug that in and have your very own local sprint network :-)

It doesn't seem like it'd be rocket science to fake a GPS signal through its antenna cable. But - it's beyond me.
    So, just to confirm, for international use in general, can you make phone calls and use data over WiFi for free (as in counts towards your minutes usage without roaming charges)? For making a phone call to the US from an international location over WiFi, there would not be any additional roaming charges right? So you could just put the phone in airplane mode and turn on Wifi?
    My old stomping ground I used to live in Juan-les-Pins and then Antibes. Beautiful part of France. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Sartre View Post
    We're actually staying a friend's place in Antibes. We went to Nice three years ago and loved it, so we'll probably drive over for a day. We also plan to drive over to Monte Carlo and Cannes during our stay.

Most of the time, though, my plan is to do nothing. hang out at beach or pool and soak up the sun and do nothing. Nothing.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie10 View Post
    So, just to confirm, for international use in general, can you make phone calls and use data over WiFi for free (as in counts towards your minutes usage without roaming charges)? For making a phone call to the US from an international location over WiFi, there would not be any additional roaming charges right? So you could just put the phone in airplane mode and turn on Wifi?
    ... If you have some sort of VOIP software (like Skype) you could make airtime- and roaming-free calls over WiFi. Currently there is no such software available
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Also, forget about GPS working without a cell signal. No geotagging photos.
    Was this with airplane mode on or off. From what I understand, airplane mode specifically disables GPS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast