Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ... if you don't want to hear creaks!

On my first Pre, I removed my battery cover to see what was under there... big mistake! After I replaced the cover, it would not stop creaking and clicking on the right-side of my keyboard. I had to replace my Pre for signal issues anyways, but I don't think I could have lived with it.

My second Pre has the "Oreo" effect which I immediately contacted Best Buy about, and I am awaiting my replacement. So I decided to remove the battery cover on this one, knowing it was going back to see if I could remove/replace the cover without issue. No luck, creaks are back and annoying the heck out of me! This time it is towards the bottom, when I hit spacebar especially.

Moral of the story: DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BATTERY COVER!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane350 View Post
    Moral of the story: DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BATTERY COVER!
    Meh, I've removed the back cover of 4 Pres. None of them changed after putting it back on.

Brett
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I had the EXACT same issue...
    If you remove it without damaging it, you won't have a problem. Go slow and gently pry around the edge.
    You kinda have to take it off if you get a touchstone. No other way to swap it.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I've removed it a couple of times myself and the phone is still as solid as the day I bought it (which, fortunately, was pretty good.)
    I much prefer the touchstone required back.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyandthesets View Post
    You kinda have to take it off if you get a touchstone. No other way to swap it.
    exactly.

I've removed mine a few times, had to do a battery pull, still sounds fine to me.
    me too... creaks like crazy.. but i realized that it's actually not the cover.. it's the hardware underneath the battery .. if you take the cover off ... you can push on teh hardware and it will squeak.
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Hahaha! That's ridiculous. There goes your removable battery feature. I've taken mine off and placed it back on many times without any issues.
    Do what the other guy did and just crazy glue the sucker down...never hear anything ever again.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    I remove my battery cover every day to awap out for my secondary battery. No problems
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I can't count how many times I've removed my back cover and I too have had no issue.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
  14.    #14  
    Maybe I should have done this as a poll...

Maybe I just was unlucky 2 out of 2 times? Either way, I will not be removing my cover no matter what once my replacement is in.

ps - Are you sure you guys hear nothing? I work in a dead-silent office so this is why it annoys me so.
    I just hear creaking when I type on the keyboard but it doesn't bother me as practically all my Palm keyboards creak in one way or another. The battery door creaking is nothing compared to that.

Not opening the battery door is definitely not an option due to my touchstone and the rare battery pull.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanmanc View Post
    I can't count how many times I've removed my back cover and I too have had no issue.
    This is my finding as well. Be careful prying gently after you push the little indent in on the bottom of the phone.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Don't they pop the battery cover when you buy it so they can scan the bar code under the battery?
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    I have not had an issue with removing the back cover. I do the occasional battery pull along with my touchstone installation and pulling the battery for my BSE install.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Polen View Post
    Don't they pop the battery cover when you buy it so they can scan the bar code under the battery?
    They didn't at Best Buy
    Mine creaks at the top after opening the cover to reset the phone. =T
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast