1.    #1  
    I was just sent two phones by tech support that were supposed to be new but to my horror were in the small box and the sku shows RECP100HK1. I was upset but tried them out. I was able to get the warranty date code from the activation screen by using the place call and calling customer support then touching "add call" and dialed ##786# and on both phones the recon status was no

can anyone else confirm this?

However both are going back because one has a gap on one side and the other had several dead pixels, saw a very bright spot above the Palm on the boot screen.

My guess is that they are using new phones because there hasn't been enough time to refurb any. Then they save money on packaging and not including any accessories or battery.
    That, or they didn't set whatever flag shows the phone as refurb.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    This is not true. The recondition status in ##786# is inaccurate. I have a phone that I know with 99% certainty is refurbished (it came in an envelope without accessories or a battery and a Sprint rep told me independently that it's refurbished), yet it shows recondition status as no.

Further, reconditioned/refurbished phones currently suffer from a major problem receiving MMS messages.

Brett
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    This is not true. The recondition status in ##786# is inaccurate. I have a phone that I know with 99% certainty is refurbished (it came in an envelope without accessories or a battery and a Sprint rep told me independently that it's refurbished), yet it shows recondition status as no.

Further, reconditioned/refurbished phones currently suffer from a major problem receiving MMS messages.

Brett
    I have had two phones (not pre) that both showed the recon status and date.

We don't know for certain that it is or is not accurate, but I would trust the info in the phone over what a sprint rep tells me. My phone also came in a small box just like the refurbished phones I have received in the past, no accessories or battery, and the box was labeled as reconditioned.

I personally think they are packaging new phones in the refurbished boxes and as soon as they get some refurbished they will start using those.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    I was just sent two phones by tech support that were supposed to be new but to my horror were in the small box and the sku shows RECP100HK1. I was upset but tried them out. I was able to get the warranty date code from the activation screen by using the place call and calling customer support then touching "add call" and dialed ##786# and on both phones the recon status was no

can anyone else confirm this?

However both are going back because one has a gap on one side and the other had several dead pixels, saw a very bright spot above the Palm on the boot screen.

My guess is that they are using new phones because there hasn't been enough time to refurb any. Then they save money on packaging and not including any accessories or battery.
    I got my 2nd replacement straight from Palm 2 weeks ago and it was refurbished. I was told it would be new then I was told it wouldn't be new, when I went into the info. it had over 700 calls on the lifetime counter. but I must say it is way better than my first 2 Pre.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post
    I got my 2nd replacement straight from Palm 2 weeks ago and it was refurbished. I was told it would be new then I was told it wouldn't be new, when I went into the info. it had over 700 calls on the lifetime counter. but I must say it is way better than my first 2 Pre.
    does it show refurb status yes and a date?

mine were shipped from sprint, maybe the ones from palm are refurbs.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Why does it matter if a Phone is a refurb? If a phone has defects send it back. But if it looks good and works why would it matter if it had been refurbished?
    My phone had over 800 calls on the lifetime counter when I got it brand new on launch day. My 2nd phone is the same, and it was new in box. That is not an uncommon occurance. My current phone's lifecalls is 031838. I don't think that number is accurate considering I've used the phone for only 62 minutes.
    Calls counter includes the data calls, not just phone calls. As it makes data calls when setting up you will likely never have seen it at 0.

The real question is what is the RECONDDATE and RECONDSTATUS when you look using ##786#?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Why does it matter if a Phone is a refurb? If a phone has defects send it back. But if it looks good and works why would it matter if it had been refurbished?
    I always preach this myself..

Not sure why some go crazy over a refub...its not the end of the world, andit works exactly the same
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I always preach this myself..

Not sure why some go crazy over a refub...its not the end of the world, andit works exactly the same
    This is more curiosity for me, I'm not going crazy and would have taken it if it was good, but they had defects so they went back.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bockscar View Post
    does it show refurb status yes and a date?

mine were shipped from sprint, maybe the ones from palm are refurbs.
    Yes it does show it is a refurb with a date
    if they are saying its new yet has 700 calls in history it should be a problem. If they say it is a refurb then I don't have an issue with it so long as it is in good condition.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    It matters because refurbished Pres could not receive picture messages... This problem was specific to refurbished Pres.

They now can, but for quite some time, they could not.
    Well I bought my phone from Best Buy and Ive switched twice and Ive only gotten Brand New Phones, New straight out the box.
    They dont sell refurbished phones and they dont fix the broken ones all they do is ask for your old phone and charger and give u a new one.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I was told by a Sprint repair center that they do not refurbish this phone, and every exchange is new. When you get the phone in the small box, its new. They just don't give you another charger, another case, etc.

That may change, but for now there will be no refurbished pre's.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    if they are saying its new yet has 700 calls in history it should be a problem. If they say it is a refurb then I don't have an issue with it so long as it is in good condition.
    I wonder how the lifetime calls are measured? Is it # of calls, hours, minutes, seconds? Is this just for the phone or does your history with sprint somehow upload to the phone upon activation? My phone now shows 26049 for three weeks of use and I probably have less than 300 minutes of total use.
    My phone just came from Asuiron (launch day pre was stolen)... brand new liftimer=0 Lifecalls=20

kinda weird... So the calls must also include data retrieves. The Pre also came in a box w/ all the accessories and recondstatus=no

cliff notes: brand new from Asurion
    It matters because refurbished Pres could not receive picture messages... This problem was specific to refurbished Pres.

If you quoted Pupator correctly (which you should have and not take snippets of his post),

He stated " If it the phone has defects, send it back"
  20.    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    If you quoted Pupator correctly (which you should have and not take snippets of his post),

He stated " If it the phone has defects, send it back"
    He did nothing wrong in his post, he quoted pupator's entire post and addressed the question why it matters if its a refurb. There was a problem with refurs and picture mail, if you would take the time to read his first post and click the link and read the other thread you would have known that. He did what was right and sprint fixed the problem on their end so there was no need to take it back.