Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wifes Pre was randomly shutting down when ever she was sliding out the keyboard. I told her to go to the local Sprint store here in Lincoln to swap out a phone since this is a known issue. Well the Sprint store knew all about the problem and said that Palm has sent out new batteries because the original ones where made a little small causing a bad connection. So she just gave us one of the new larger batteries and now the problem is not happening.

Just thought this would help and didn't see any other posts about it.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Yeah I was having the same issue with random crashes and they replaced my battery no hassle and now my phone works like a dream. I would definitely suggest lookin into this if anyone is having the same trouble...much better than wedging paper into your battery compartment.
    My friend was having this issue as well, and got a new battery.
    Palm is sending me a battery, but I am doubtful that it will solve my problem. I got to keep my battery from my exchange and my previous pre never had this problem. Even using the old battery in my new pre I get the slider shutdown. Is it possible my battery compartment is too big?
    How do u guys keep stuff from ur exchanges?

when i exchanged with radio shack they guy went through all the stuff, he was like, Plug check, cable, check, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post

when i exchanged with radio shack they guy went through all the stuff, he was like, Plug check, cable, check, etc....
    That's total BS... they are supposed to exchange your defective product even if you don't have the box. and you have 90 days to do so as well. RadioShack was giving me a hard time about exchanging my pre because i didn't have the box at the time. the employee insisted that he couldn't exchange it with out the box. so i had contacted the district manager of the store for some help and sure enough i was right.
    I had a launch pre and it would turn off with the battery I had and another I tired. I kept the battery whem I exchanged and my launch battery doesn't shut off with my new pre
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I agree with Emceesquared. When I replaced my Pre I was given a brand new unit still in the box and did not have to return anything else. Sprint only requires the defective unit be returned.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    OP, did you get to keep the old battery?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    It is likely not an "all batteries are too small" phenomenon. All products have tolerances, and it is likely a "if the battery slot is on the high side of the tolerance, and the battery itself is on the low side of the tolerance, then there could be an issue". So palm has an adjustment made in the manufacturing, or just makes sure that all the replacement batteries going out are not on the low side of the tolerances, and problem solved.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Palm is sending me a battery, but I am doubtful that it will solve my problem. I got to keep my battery from my exchange and my previous pre never had this problem. Even using the old battery in my new pre I get the slider shutdown. Is it possible my battery compartment is too big?
    I read a tip somewhere, that if you have this problem, Cut a piece of paper the size of the battery and lay it on top b4 you put the cover on. It tightens up the connection.
    I had the same problem. They gave me a new battery, which worked just fine. They told me to keep the old one. I got home, tried the old battery and for some reason it no longer crashed! I've been using the old "bad" battery for a week now without one shutoff. Keep a second charged battery in my bag, but haven't had to use it yet.
    just curious....are the defective batteries like the centro batteries? what if original pre's were sent out with centro batteries (labeled as pre battery).
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I took my wife's second Pre to a Sprint store 6 days ago and told them what was going on with the slider/crash thing. I requested they let me try different batteries in the phone because my wife didn't want to get another replacement phone (as she would lose her call and SMS history and bookmarks and settings all over again). The store was incredibly busy so the rep handed me 3 batteries which appeared identical to the one that came with my wife's Pre and asked if there was anything else he could do for me. I told him this was perfect and I left with all three batteries in hand.

I charged and tested each one. All 3 crashed the phone including my own Pre's battery. I returned to the Sprint store on Sunday with the batteries and her Pre and talked to another rep about everything that had happened so far. It was day 30 of our new contract so I wanted to get things squared away before time ran out. The phone went back to the repair/replacement techs for half an hour and a tech came out with a new Pre and sat down for a chat.

The tech said he had reviewed my account and seen that I had returned my first Pre as well as my wife's first Pre for the slider/crash issue and now I was back with her second Pre with the same problem. He said a Palm rep had stopped in 2 days earlier asking the techs what kinds of problems they were encountering with Pres. One of the problems mentioned was the slider/crash issue. The tech said the Palm rep told him it was a known problem and the Sprint people needed to continue replacing the Pres that had that problem. I asked the tech about the TEP insurance I had and what would happen if this new Pre crashed tomorrow. He said that kind of defect was covered under the TEP and there would be no deductable to replace the Pre with a refurbished unit if one was available and a new one if a refurbished one was not.

I also asked the tech if he had noticed that in my wife's Pre, the three battery contacts do not touch the battery evenly. The little 'box' they extend out of is crooked and when jolted, the third contact would lost connection with the battery. He said he hadn't noticed it but would go take a look at that after I left. My first Pre also had the crooked contacts.

That's my most recent battery/slider/crash/replacements story... we both still love the Pre though, or else we would have cashed out a few phones ago
    my first pre had the same problem. when i took it to the sprint store, they had the repair tech take a look at it. they gave it back working fine, but they didnt tell me what they did to fix it. once back to my car i took off the back cover to see they had taped a few pieces of paper to the back of the battery. i went back in the store and the rep told me this was the "official" palm fix and they would not return the palm for this reason. after complaining to the manager, he said they were expecting a shipment of correct sized batteries and he would call me when they came in.

on my way home i called sprint and they told me this should have been exchanged. she promptly called a few stores near me and put in a work order to exchange my pre. got it exchanged the same day. i really feel like going back to that sprint store and having another talk with that manager.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frza View Post
    my first pre had the same problem. when i took it to the sprint store, they had the repair tech take a look at it. they gave it back working fine, but they didnt tell me what they did to fix it. once back to my car i took off the back cover to see they had taped a few pieces of paper to the back of the battery. i went back in the store and the rep told me this was the "official" palm fix and they would not return the palm for this reason. after complaining to the manager, he said they were expecting a shipment of correct sized batteries and he would call me when they came in.

on my way home i called sprint and they told me this should have been exchanged. she promptly called a few stores near me and put in a work order to exchange my pre. got it exchanged the same day. i really feel like going back to that sprint store and having another talk with that manager.
    When I replaced my wife's Pre the first time, I was given quite a hassle as well. They also tried to "repair" it and brought it out to me twice claiming it was fixed, at which points I opened and closed the slider and it died. They finally sheepishly replaced that one. The primary difference I could see between that exchange and my other two easy exchanges was that for the other two, I had contacted Sprint's telephone support first and had them put notes on my account instructing the store people to just swap out the phone.
    I went get my battery checked out and the repair guys DID CONFIRM that palm gave out DEFECTIVE BATTERIES. we compared the old and new one and the old battery is missing two grooves...thus it would slide around.
    for lack of camera, i can only describe it:

if you look at the battery with palm logo facing you, look at the top it should say "rechargeable li-ion battery...." the two 'legs' sticking out on each end, should have a groove in the middle. the old battery lacks this groove on the 'legs'.

i asked to keep the battery but he said he has to send them back since they are defective.
    I too am in lincoln and was having the power off issue with the slider. I walked in slid the phone open and closed a few times, showed the tech that I had already tried the paper trick. He pulled out a new battery, slapped it in and almost a week later I still haven't had a single issue.

They didn't even log my issue in the computer... Come to think of it...

Anyway this seems to be fixing this particular issue... Don't put up with it its an easy fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post

Both times I exchanged my Pre, I had to have the box. They took everything out of the new box and put it (except for the replacement phone) in my old box.

I did not get to keep any additional stuff for my troubles.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    just curious....are the defective batteries like the centro batteries? what if original pre's were sent out with centro batteries (labeled as pre battery).
    No the Centro batteries actually work.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast