View Poll Results: Palm says your Pre gets 12.5 days battery life. Who gets that much?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12.5 days? I can't consistently get 1 day from the standard battery!

126 62.07%
  • I usually get between 1-2 days out of the standard battery.

70 34.48%
  • I have no problems getting 3-4 days out of the standard battery.

5 2.46%
  • My Pre works great! I get 5-9 days from the standard battery!

0 0%
  • My Pre is better than great. I get 10-12 days from the standard battery.

0 0%
  • My Pre is perfect; I get the full 12.5 days.

2 0.99%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm says the Sprint Pre can get 12.5 days battery life here (under specifications-- 300 hours standby time from the standard battery). How many of you actually get the battery life promised?

Please answer the poll honestly so that we can get an accurate picture if the battery problems reported are real. Also, there have been reported problems with the battery meter accuracy. Please only post full run times that you have achieved. Do no extrapolate. For example, my Pre once stayed at 100% for more than 9 hours. If I extrapolated that would equal 38 days! But I actually only achieved 31 hours before the Pre ran out (See this thread). So only report times that you have actually achieved from full charge to empty.
    I'm sure "Standby" means Airplane mode
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    maybe 12.5 hours standby time in airplane mode.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    That figure is likely derived using a phone that has BT, WiFi, and GPS off, e-mail and chat turned off and 100% coverage sitting in a box unused for 12.5 days. Most phones have ridiculous statistics like that. The real measure should be average daily use and so phones should report 8, 12, 16, 24, or 32 hours tops because no one cares about stand-by time.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I doubt there are many people that don't use their device for a period long enough to rate the "standby" battery life. A better poll would be to ask if people are getting the 5hrs of talk time. Although, given this phones use of the web, I think that the numbers from Palm and in any poll might be misleading.

It would be hard to get any real useful data until Palm/Sprint get a real idea of how the device is being used. Once they have data on how the average person uses their device, they will be able to, more accurately, get a real handle on battery life.

Personally, I don't think I'd get 5 hours of talk time unless EVERYTHING else was turned off on the device. Although I haven't really tried.
    Who actually would go that long before throwing the Pre on a touchstone? I think most battery life whiners need to change the way they use phones (charge when possible) or carry a spare battery.
    Last edited by cardfan; 07/08/2009 at 09:52 AM.
    How can anyone honestly answer this poll without extrapolating? Has anyone actually tried keeping their pre in standby for even one whole day? That means no calls, e-mails, texts, wi-fi off, bt off, etc... so, yeah, airplane mode.

And, btw, Palm was smart enough to say "up to 300 hours of standby time."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    maybe 12.5 hours standby time in airplane mode.
    No. Standby time means phone radio on. (Everything else could be off).
    Is there anyone who's actually not used a phone long enough to see if standby time is accurate? Most battery tests in reviews don't even test that. It's all about talk, music, video, and internet (3G and Wi-Fi) battery times that really matter. But of course, a longer standby time does mean longer cycle since a lot of the time the phone is on standby between uses.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    12.5 days? maybe 12.5 hours with a good signal and minimal usage
    Yeah, I can't honestly answer this one. I do know that I can get about 5 hours of talk time like Palm claims. The Goat is not capble of leaving his phone in standby for 12 days.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    The 1980's Nissan 300ZX had a 19-gallon gas tank. It also had a faulty fuel gauge. People would drive it around until it showed almost empty and they would put 9-10 gallons in it to fill it up. If you told them the tank was really 19 gallons, they would fight you tooth and nail.

Makes me wonder how the pre battery meter works, because the more times I fully discharge the battery, the slower that meter drops the next time. Is the battery capacity increasing or is the meter getting smarter about reading the battery?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    Is the battery capacity increasing or is the meter getting smarter about reading the battery?
    The latter. Like laptops, it makes sense to occasionally drain your battery to the point of a forced shut-down so the meter will be properly calibrated to the reality of your battery.

Brett
    When i got the Pre i kept my blackberry "on" about a week later i picked it up and battery looked good. usually had to charge it everyday once or twice. In Standby (witch might as well be off) the battery will be great. meaning it's not used and the screen is off. Basically the time it will take for the battery to run out of power from the phone being on and NO use.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Who actually would go that long before throwing the Pre on a touchstone? I think most battery life whiners need to change the way they use phones (charge when possible) or carry a spare battery.
    Yes, it's our fault. We should all be wearing car battery backpacks rigged to touchstones when we're away from home. Or we should quit our jobs so we can always be around the touchstone.
    12.5 hours! I'm sure I can get that (and probably more) as long as I keep the phone completely turned off in a cool area. I wonder who is responsible for conducting such testing at Palm?!
    Who actually judges a phones battery life by teh standby rating?

Only way i've even come close to my Blackberry Curve's standby is if i literally do not touch it, don't receive messages, don't receive calls and have a good signal (aka when i don't pay my bill haha)
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    In airplane mode, I drop around 3-4% every 12 hours. That is easily 300 hours of standby.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I agree the touchstone is the way to go. Ever since I put one one my desk at work, I don't have to think about my battery life at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Yes, it's our fault. We should all be wearing car battery backpacks rigged to touchstones when we're away from home. Or we should quit our jobs so we can always be around the touchstone.
    Yep, its your fault.

Why does Palm make the battery removable?

Why don't you charge the phone at night, plug into the car when on the go, or use a touchstone at work? Carry a spare battery if you don't have access on the go?

It gets tiring reading posts how someone's Pre goes dead at their office at work. Plug it in..geez..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast