Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre had the Oreo issue going on, some sever scraping on the keyboard and a dead pixel. So I took it in, and they swapped it out again without a question.
    The only bad news is, this Pre seems to have the identical Oreo problem my previous Pre had. This was new enough to have firmware 1.03 on it.
    That's fine, I have no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, no other issues. I put my Invisible Shield on it today, and figured SCREW IT, I am fixing it myself.

I told my friend who works for Sprint I was going to do this and he asked me how so he could fix his. :P

All in all, a not too shabby replacement trip. Considering this one isn't scraping and again no dead pixels.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    i had the oreo issue with my first pre, i went around town to like 5 different sprint stores looking for one w/o the oreo. couldnt find one that was worth trading in, (my oreo was scary rediculas btw, i was scared the phone was going to break when i used it, and the kids at the sprint store told me its 'normal'. i wouldnt have it. eventually i ended up at a coorprate store and went into the repair center to see if it was a simple fix, maybe a loose screw, they ended up switching out the device all together, they had a brand new one shipped that day with no oreo effect, since then my pre has been secure.
    Can you ##786# it and see what the warranty date is? I'm holding off on replacing mine as well due to the fact that 3 other phones that were opened at the store all had the same build quality issue. My sister is planning on getting hers this weekend so I will see how hers is and decide whether or not to swap mine at the same time too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    My Pre had the Oreo issue going on, some sever scraping on the keyboard and a dead pixel. So I took it in, and they swapped it out again without a question.
    The only bad news is, this Pre seems to have the identical Oreo problem my previous Pre had. This was new enough to have firmware 1.03 on it.
    That's fine, I have no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, no other issues. I put my Invisible Shield on it today, and figured SCREW IT, I am fixing it myself.

I told my friend who works for Sprint I was going to do this and he asked me how so he could fix his. :P

All in all, a not too shabby replacement trip. Considering this one isn't scraping and again no dead pixels.
    Sprint employees can't get Pre's yet, can they?

The type of slider they decided to use is why the "oreo" problem exists. The only way they can fix it for now is in a new revision of the casing of the phone... There are 2 tabs that stick up from the bottom part of the phone that are meant to keep the phone solid, but phones that have a little too much play easily go over these 2 tabs, so the only solution I can think of is making the tabs taller.
  5. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Sprint employees can't get Pre's yet, can they?

The type of slider they decided to use is why the "oreo" problem exists. The only way they can fix it for now is in a new revision of the casing of the phone... There are 2 tabs that stick up from the bottom part of the phone that are meant to keep the phone solid, but phones that have a little too much play easily go over these 2 tabs, so the only solution I can think of is making the tabs taller.
    no but we can deff use them on our non employee plans
    then convert when the time is right
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I just exchanged my Pre again yesterday because of the Oreo effect. The new Pre (second one I looked at in the store) has a much more solid slider, however, it now has the screen issues my other did not!

Now I have a large distortion line down the right side, light leaking through the black around the edges, and one stuck pixel (only visible when in black). *sigh* not sure if it's worth exchanging again and having to setup my phone all over again (hacks etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    I just exchanged my Pre again yesterday because of the Oreo effect. The new Pre (second one I looked at in the store) has a much more solid slider, however, it now has the screen issues my other did not!

Now I have a large distortion line down the right side, light leaking through the black around the edges, and one stuck pixel (only visible when in black). *sigh* not sure if it's worth exchanging again and having to setup my phone all over again (hacks etc).
    Ha! I have a situation very similar to yours. My Pre's "oreo effect" is very slight. I also have no dead pixels. But I DO have some light leakage. It only becomes really noticeable when the phone is hot.

These forums have scared me away from exchanging for another though. I can deal with the light leakage... I just don't want to exhange for one that is much more janky than mine.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Ha! I have a situation very similar to yours. My Pre's "oreo effect" is very slight. I also have no dead pixels. But I DO have some light leakage. It only becomes really noticeable when the phone is hot.

These forums have scared me away from exchanging for another though. I can deal with the light leakage... I just don't want to exhange for one that is much more janky than mine.
    Keep it, there are too many with dead pixels and other more annoying issues. I think all/most Pres have the "oreo effect" to some degree, so if yours is slight, consider yourself lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Keep it, there are too many with dead pixels and other more annoying issues. I think all/most Pres have the "oreo effect" to some degree, so if yours is slight, consider yourself lucky.
    Isn't it just so sad that we have to consider ourselves lucky when our defective pre is somehow less defective than the other defective pres?!

I'm in the same boat. Kept my original pre with a wonky, horrible slider rather than exchange it at the corporate store where we checked six brand new boxed pres and each one of them had worse slider issues than mine.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    My new Pre is fine except one stuck pixel (only visible on the bootup screen). I'm trying to decide if I care enough to exchange it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    My new Pre is fine except one stuck pixel (only visible on the bootup screen). I'm trying to decide if I care enough to exchange it again.
    Only one dead pixel that you can only see at bootup? No way I'd exchange. Hang on to that one.
    My phone has some "oreo effect", but it is only noticeable when the slider is closed. When the slider is open (access to keyboard) there is no problem at all.

Is this what others are experiencing?

I must be pretty lucky, because I think mine has relatively little oreo effect, I don't have any dead or stuck pixels and no light leakage or heat problems.....based on everything I've read, I shouldn't even consider replacing it.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post

These Sprint CS Consultants are too nice! He said I could come in today and exchange again. I think im too anal to ignore these new issues! ahhh.

Im so close to perfect, and like others said, it appears we're all exchanging one issue for another.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Have you tried using the stuck pixel video on youtube with your screens backlight turned all the way up, set to 3minute shut off? That actually seems to fix stuck pixels fairly well on the Pre.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    These Sprint CS Consultants are too nice! He said I could come in today and exchange again. I think im too anal to ignore these new issues! ahhh.

Im so close to perfect, and like others said, it appears we're all exchanging one issue for another.
    Absolutely true. I mean I got lucky as I ditched a dead pixel and the scraping I was getting on my keyboard. Screen's still perfect, and besides a little oreo effect when the slider is close it's perfect.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Can you ##786# it and see what the warranty date is? I'm holding off on replacing mine as well due to the fact that 3 other phones that were opened at the store all had the same build quality issue. My sister is planning on getting hers this weekend so I will see how hers is and decide whether or not to swap mine at the same time too.
    My warranty date is 06/23/2009. So fairly new. My previous was from May.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Have you tried using the stuck pixel video on youtube with your screens backlight turned all the way up, set to 3minute shut off? That actually seems to fix stuck pixels fairly well on the Pre.
    Just tried it and it did not fix it yet. The stuck pixel is the least of my worries. Im more concerned about the distortion and light leakage. Perhaps I'll deal with and and exchange through TEP (with no deductible) at a later date.
    Mine is 6/22/2009... So it looks like I missed it by a day lol. I'll have to see this weekend what my sister's pre is like.

My warranty date is 06/23/2009. So fairly new. My previous was from May.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    if your phone isnt perfect, return it and get another, and another, and another until you are satisfied, dont leave the sprint store with a phone that you have problems with.. hell you paid like what, 380$ for the thing after tax? you have every right to be picky.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    if your phone isnt perfect, return it and get another, and another, and another until you are satisfied, dont leave the sprint store with a phone that you have problems with.. hell you paid like what, 380$ for the thing after tax? you have every right to be picky.
    Well I checked 3 of them, and they were identical in every way. Kind of disappointing but, I told him I would try again and he said fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast