Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Okay, so this is only loosely tied to the Pre, but I think it highlights the evolution of things to come which the Pre has embraced. I think Palm and Google are on the right track and are the new wave of innovate-alution.

It's all in the cloud.

Google Drops A Nuclear Bomb On Microsoft. And Its Made of Chrome.

In the second half of 2010, Google plans to launch the Google Chrome OS, an operating system designed from the ground up to run the Chrome web browser on netbooks. Its our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be, Google writes tonight on its blog.

...Google says the software architecture will basically be the current Chrome browser running inside a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. So in other words, it basically is the web as an OS. And applications developers will develop for it just as they would on the web. This is similar to the approach Palm has taken with its new webOS for the Palm Pre, but Google notes that any app developed for Google Chrome OS will work in any standards-compliant browser on any OS.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    w00t! That just made my day. Smack 'em down Google.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    w00t! That just made my day. Smack 'em down Google.
    So, so cool, ain't it? Even the blind should now see why the sync system of the Pre hooked up first with Gmail, etc. Like minds. Web OS's rule! All goes back in my memory to Marc Andreessen and his early initiatives in cloud computing.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Not sure about this. I don't see any potential beyond basic netbooks users. It's basicly just a browser (only) that boots quicker than Windows. But when my pc isn't on, I'd just flip open the Pre to lookup something up on the web.

I mean, the browser experience is fine for a phone. But on my pc I want to run advanced tools like Adobe CS4. I don't see that coming to Chrome OS any time soon. And even the boot up time. I don't mind pushing the power button, go pee, and have my pc on for the rest of the day. If I did, I'd use the sleep function..
    Very WoW news m8, nice find.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    IMO, Google and Microsoft are not terribly different animals (except that Goggle usually does what it does better than the competition, for now) and I'm not a fan of either. Also, call me old fashioned but just about the only idea I like less that doing everything in the cloud is putting all my eggs in one cloud.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Not sure about this. I don't see any potential beyond basic netbooks users. It's basicly just a browser (only) that boots quicker than Windows. But when my pc isn't on, I'd just flip open the Pre to lookup something up on the web.

I mean, the browser experience is fine for a phone. But on my pc I want to run advanced tools like Adobe CS4. I don't see that coming to Chrome OS any time soon. And even the boot up time. I don't mind pushing the power button, go pee, and have my pc on for the rest of the day. If I did, I'd use the sleep function..
    Well, if you look at Google's whole philosophy, much of it entails apps on the web for free. The same type of apps that Microsoft deems pay-me-for-this software. Additionally, web storage versus buying ever increasingly huge hard drives is one helluva plus. Which isn't to say you don't have back ups at home, but the tracks have already been laid with photo storage sites. It's becoming a natural experience to store on the web. I suspect most consumers don't need or use massively intensive applications.

With the universe of computer users and computing devices exploding, many people don't have the need for intensive applications. I have a netbook and still want a Pre. I am also typing this now on a PC with Windows because ultimately I prefer a larger screen and keyboard. I also have multiple external hard drives for storage of large video files and applications.

However, I'll bet you that the masses are quite happy with the netbook basics outside of gaming, and even that is online in many iterations requiring only a good video card, the only thing netbooks lack.

Lastly, we don't know what this OS will be capable of. Who would have thought that we'd get what we have with the Pre now 15 years ago? And already they're calling it and the iPhone, mini computers.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I'm with bruba on this one. Might be nice for those people who only uses their computer as an expensive email machine (like my parents), but for advanced users this certainly won't be a substitute for Windows.

And as far as using web storage for everything, I hope that NEVER happens. Personally, I will be holding onto my own physical drives for as long as I can. As long as it is stored on my machine, I have control over what happens to my data and who has access to it. Uploading digital photos is one thing as that's something you generally want to share with people over the Web anyway. But to upload critical documents for work or school and have to trust the cloud? No thank you.
    Good luck google but its alot tougher to build an operating system as opposed to a browser...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Google doesn't have to build the operating system...they are using Linux as the basis for Chrome/OS so they already have a very capable OS...kindof like MacOS. They are very cloud-centric, but I'm sure Chrome will allow for local storage and computation...

Matt

PS - I love my Pre...don't miss my iPhone all that much even!
    good luck. that android thing hasn't exactly taken off yet. regardless the fact is businesses don't change O.S. without a lot of thought and testing and though a few consumers may like it it's unlikely to dent the business market with is huge.
    Epic Fail

1) If Google really thought this would work then why didnt they use this strategy for their Android o/s?

2) When Netbooks are getting faster and operating for longer why would I now just want to compromise all that with a cut down o/s.

3) When I use my netbook I will be seated - so a 30 second delay for me not picking up my email will not kill me. When I am using my phone I will most likely be mobile so I want it instantly.

4) Chrome looks like a rehashed version of Web/os for the desktop which is just dumb. People want more interaction with their computers this is where the o/s shines.

5) Anyone who thinks the o/s is dead should look at this forum - the most exciting aspect of the Pre is its o/s. What have so many people asked for? Can we get deep access to the o/s and not just web apps.

6) The best of both worlds is local storage and online backup either on your own cloud or that of a service provider.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Google appears to put a lot of stuff out there to see how well it resonates. If they get traction then lights are Green for Go. They have astronomic funding and few restrictions / financial oversight over what they do with that money i.e. they are very good at futurescaping.

By the way MS announced its version of the web based OS today also. That is no coincedence. Can't recall the name though.

Things are definately going to the cloud and significant data security issues exist but that hasn't stopped companies adopting this model. They have put mitigation in to reduce that risk where possible i.e. don't put any company data up there that if compromised will bring your company down etc

However something else that is missunderstood Google apps uses Google gears to provide local (offline) processing capabilities also.

I think cloud computing will work in many increasing instances but as with many things it won't completely (or even in this case significantly) remove our dependence on the current nature of the O/S for the next 5-10 years
    I am not a fan of either company but the way in which Google collects private data with its opaque privacy policy worries me more than MS monopoly as I can just swap that out by installing Linux - but how do you get back your private data from Google who don't even say what they use the data for.

Once it's in the Cloud you can never be sure that it will be deleted or used appropriately. If the data is on my PC or my own backups I have total control.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Good luck google

It will be a three way next gen PC battle between
    APPLE , GOOGLE and MICROSOFT
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    OK, this 'new web OS' is really Linux, so it is not so new. If all that you do is so connected to the 'cloud', what happens when you cannot connect? Do you lose your data? Your apps? This whole 'cloud' computing thing is great-as long as you are connected. What if you are somewhere that you cannot connected? Cell service and internet service are still not a given. And what's going to be the cost of maintaining your stuff in the 'cloud'? Look, google is not the savior people think it is. It is company out to make money just like Apple and Microsoft and you can bet that if you don't pay up front for their service, you will be bombarded with ads. Count on it.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    The purpose of Google Chrome OS is to allow software developers to charge you a monthly fee to use their software.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    “a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel.”
    Sweet, now my netbook can take forever and day to boot just like my phone!

The more you implement cross platform apps, the dumber and crappier the apps get. Cross platform development is always a compromise in features and usability.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    I already run the Chrome browser on my Windows XP Netbook so I am not really sure what this buys me. I know what it costs me (the ability to run Windows Apps).

Right now Windows XP has 96% of the netbook market which suggests to me that the ability to run Window application is still valued.

Even if I was a MS & Apple hater, why wouldn't I just use a regular Linux distro with Chrome or perhaps Android. Seems to me that this is an example of Google just throwing stuff out and seeing what sticks.
    Not that this is related, but I think this is kind of funny

google - Bing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast