Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. #41  
    I am very hesitant about working on the Internet; as a result, I have no interest or reason to look at Google's "OS." We also speak of retraining for open source - which in the MS world hints a bit toward Open Office and similar programs. I started years ago with WordPerfect and frankly find it to be the best word processor out there. I also used Quattro Pro. When I started occasionally using Microsoft Word the problems were taken care of via the help file and that was only on a rare occasion. When I went with Open Office there was no learn time involved, as most functions are identical. There are some things Open Office does not handle as well as Word and there are some things Open Office does better than Word. Since going with Open Office on the lap top, I have had no reason to do Word or Excel or Power Point or...
    Last edited by bclinger; 07/13/2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: more rambling
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Google hasnt dropped anything on MS... They dropped a bomb on webOS and anyone who thought it was going to make it as a netbook OS.

    Read their plans for this 'new OS' and see if it sounds familiar...

    I hope you are wrong. Intel has been working for some time with Google on this. Come to think of it , who wants the windows / office / combination ?

    Majority of the non business customers of PC (kids, retired folks and internet junkies ) don't need Windows.
  3. Obscura's Avatar
    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I am very hesitant about working on the Internet...
    So hesitant that forum posts are delivered via postal mail.
    Obscura
  4. #44  
    Really? What a remark.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I hope you are wrong. Intel has been working for some time with Google on this. Come to think of it , who wants the windows / office / combination ?

    Majority of the non business customers of PC (kids, retired folks and internet junkies ) don't need Windows.
    Given 96% of Netbooks sold run Windows XP it appears a large number of non business users of PCs either want or need Windows. Even in the Markets where Apple competes, they still hold an 88% market share.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Given 96% of Netbooks sold run Windows XP it appears a large number of non business users of PCs either want or need Windows. Even in the Markets where Apple competes, they still hold an 88% market share.
    Most netbook users run windows because they have no other choice. (those half *** linux ditros don't count)
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  7. #47  
    I believe chrome os has a great chance at succeeding. This will give people a choice. You can buy a computer with all the bells and whistles running windows for $600 bucks or you can get a chrom os netbook for a couple hundred bucks. In addition to it being cheaper it will also be easier to use. Everyone seems to know how to use a browser these days.

    I know at least 5 people personally who only want e-mail/web content. They don't want the complexities of windows. They would be completely happy with chrome os.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8. mokei's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #48  
    Though it is starting to make revenue on some of it's enterprise apps, Google's revenue still predominantly comes from selling adds via tools like Google AddSense. We all probably read about how Google Android is now also AddSense enabled, yay... or not. They crank out some great technology in persistent beta in hopes that they can figure out a way to monetize them so they can create other streams of revenue, but the persistent beta allows them to pull it out of the market if they can't. I hope they can figure out ways to monetize their innovations outside of add placement or we may see the market begin to find their model disagreeable.

    Mosaic/Netscape was a larger than life innovator with quite a fan base at one point also. In fact, with Netscape Communicator they tried to become a browser based desktop briefly before their AOL demise. Google is a lot more than diverse technically than Netscape ever was, but their continued impressive growth and darling status on wall street will require new streams of revenue.
  9. SharonW's Avatar
    Posts
    402 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
       #49  
    It's pretty cool to see my thread turned into a long-running intelligent discussion. Let me add this to the fire (consider it another bombshell):

    Windows 7 A No-Go For Business, Survey Says

    Almost 60% of IT managers surveyed said their companies have no plans to adopt Microsoft's latest OS.


    In a blow to Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s hopes that Windows 7's release will motivate business customers to upgrade their corporate software, a new survey claims that the majority of enterprises have no plans to move to the company's latest operating system for their desktops and laptops.

    59.3% of the 1,100 IT administrators that responded to a survey by management tools vendor ScriptLogic said they have no plans to deploy Windows 7.

    42.7% of survey respondents said time and resources required to implement a new OS were the biggest barriers to deployment, while 39.1% cited application compatibility as the biggest hurdle.

    34% of those surveyed said they would likely deploy Windows 7 by the end of 2010, while just 5.4% said they would move to the OS right after it debuts later this year.

    Having largely shunned Vista, Microsoft's current OS, most businesses are still running Windows XP—which will be fully eight years old when Windows 7 debuts on Oct. 22nd. The Vista flop, combined with survey results that show tepid corporate interest in Windows 7, raises questions about Microsoft's ability to innovate in the enterprise market.
    More here:
    Windows 7 A No-Go For Business, Survey Says -- InformationWeek

    Boy the days of lining up for the newest Windows release are LONG, LONG gone.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Most netbook users run windows because they have no other choice. (those half *** linux ditros don't count)
    Really, why not. What will Chrome do differently?
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Really, why not. What will Chrome do differently?
    Differently than Windows or the other Linux distros?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    It's pretty cool to see my thread turned into a long-running intelligent discussion. Let me add this to the fire (consider it another bombshell):

    More here:
    Windows 7 A No-Go For Business, Survey Says -- InformationWeek

    Boy the days of lining up for the newest Windows release are LONG, LONG gone.
    I think it is a bit early to start relying on these figures. I saw that survey and don't believe there have been many others out yet. Certainly this is more to do with the economic climate than the perception of the O/S.

    The O/S is obviously becoming less important but due to the large dependency that still exists between O/S and applications there will be a point (and I believe Windows 7 1 year on will be it) where there will be a significant move to update Windows on corporate PC's. Many shops are still on XP and the software providers will at some stage (Gartner predicts last 2010) start to drop support of their latest applications on XP. This will create momentum in the market to move.

    The problem will be that by delaying the work of remediating their applications from XP to Vista they will still have to do that work but it will be a slightly bigger jump. This assumes that the support for XP isn't extended (again).

    I think MS are caught in a bind they can't realistically get out of here. The dangerous precedent may be set that organsiations don't renew their software support contracts to save money. Some companies just won't be allowed to do this due to the market they are in but many will.

    The only hope for MS is that the economic climate returns quickly (in the next year or two) otherwise they will be faced with significantly reduced revenues because the only other way out is to significantly drop the price of their two cash cows - Office and Windows. The problem is however that many companies have now sweated their PC fleet into 5 years and more rather than renew the lease. This makes much of their fleet incapable of running Vista, W7 or Office 2007. The only way out of that is to agressively accelerate their development of WAVE 14 (Office 2010) which removes the need for locally installed versions of Office and uses a browser instead (thus reducing the impact on local PC resources).

    WAVE14 for now will not be as functional as needed by many office users. So message to MS put more developer $ behind Office 2010 as the cloud/subscription model may be your only saviour.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

    Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions