Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Google hasnt dropped anything on MS... They dropped a bomb on webOS and anyone who thought it was going to make it as a netbook OS.

Read their plans for this 'new OS' and see if it sounds familiar...
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Google hasnt dropped anything on MS... They dropped a bomb on webOS and anyone who thought it was going to make it as a netbook OS.

Read their plans for this 'new OS' and see if it sounds familiar...
    People thought webOS would become a netbook OS?
    We had constant threads here about "hey wouldnt it be great if we had a webOS folio mannnn" a month or two ago.
    The cloud concept is absolutely stupid in the western states in which I travel. I don't even have a phone signal, let alone web access, in southern UT, southwestern WY, and most of rural NM. For those areas, I rely on radio phones (PTT), but must still have access to EVERYTHING on my pda--not just the stuff that palm or sprint decides can work "offline."
    If that's truly what the huge companies think is the future, there are going to be some gigantic money-making opportunities out there for smaller companies to provide secure and "unclouded" communications/data/hardware products.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I hear you but cloud computing is not an all or nothing proposal. Each application will be written based on its use case. Its just that many corporates discovered the use case for office based applications could potentially benefit financially by leveraging the cloud. For more uses such as yourself (and even many office based apps) the ability to run with or without the network (on or offline) will be available. Think of offline email today. You are only connecting to the cloud (even if that cloud is your datacentre) to get updates but all the required data is also replicated to your device.

I agree and it is clear why Google are doing this and I have to say it is not a revolution technologically. The reason Google raises such high interest everytime it puts something out there is because it usually has the brightest and highest paid brains on the planet in its employ and has the financial clout to significantly affect the direction of technology. This last fact probably has more to do with the affect of Google announcements than anything else and as they are the one company above any other that have that sort of firepower.

Did anyone see their unified communications client a while ago (email, IM, web sharing etc). It was a fantastic concept but light years ahead of what most organisations will need, use or understand. They show their capabilities spin with it for a few years and then start putting small parts of it out there.

Like MS their time will come and in the meantime we just have more choices.

Here is an example our company went through recently.

Problem: How to save money in our technology budget on infrastructure
    Options:
    1. Open Source
    2. Cloud computing
    3. Don't renew vendor contracts (just keep the lights on only expenditure)
    4. Stop many projects

Impacts
    1. Opensource - massive retraining, upskilling of users and staff, comitted integration and skills set investments etc
    2. Cloud computing - If it can be invisible then seriously look at it, however be aware of increased WAN usage, data ownership/security
    3. Contracts - Issues around supporting the business but a serious option
    4. Business depends and expects certain SLA's

So number 2 looks best and as an example we looked at Google Apps to replace MS Office. But again the issue was the same as with opensource - training, upheaval, file format integrity etc etc

Alternative: Web version of MS Office. No significant retraining and can adopt in Pilot with minimal investment. Also can host services in the cloud without the users knowing i.e. email is a good starter.

The above is a very high summary of a portion of a larger scope of work but you get the picture.
    What will we do ? I don't know but you also have to consider that we are doing this mainly because of the current economic climate.

If the economy turns around and the business goes through a need for massive investment to react to the market competition how much momentum do you think we will be asked to put behind spending most of our time looking to tighten our belt!?

Also the MS types of this world when threatened are smart enough to know that they don't have to match the price of the competition they just have to narrow the price gap enough to not make it worth the effort.

Lots of things to consider lots of things going on. I like to keep things simple and flexible.

So we will probably take on one major thing and phase it to ensure the point of no return is as far down the process as possible.
    Last edited by as147; 07/12/2009 at 05:55 AM.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    If the data is on my PC or my own backups I have total control.
    People keep saying this, as if harddrives don't fail.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    People keep saying this, as if harddrives don't fail.
    Yes, hardware can fail, but the point is YOU still have control. If you are diligent, you will have backup mechanisms in place. Hard drives are very cheap these days and there absolutely no reason why you cannot backup your important data. You can even use-gasp!-a cloud based backup as well since it is always important to have your important data in multiple places. Heck, thumbdrives are cheap enough and big enough these days you can always use them to store your backup data. The point is that it is still YOU and not some monolithic company that has your data.
    Quote Originally Posted by geogray View Post
    Yes, hardware can fail, but the point is YOU still have control.
    No. The point is that if your harddrive fails, you DON'T have control. Otherwise, they'd never fail.

The point continues that you can back up data that's stored on the web just as you can back-up data that's stored on your local harddrive.

You acknowledge this below, but you also go on about monolithic companies n such. I wasn't speaking on that. I was responding to the statement of "total control."

But to address some of other issues: Computers get hacked. People forget to back-up. Local redundancies double the cost of storage.

I'm not saying anyone ought to do anything they don't want to do, but let's not underestimate the value of Google's approach by overstating the control we have over our local data.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Microsoft probably laughed when they heard this. Google is just trying to find a way to make money without using advertising. This is not a bomb...this is a single 9mm bullet fired at the army of Microsoft.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    At least Palm and webOS finally got a mention in an article about Chrome OS.
    ...any app developed for Google Chrome OS will work in any standards-compliant browser on any OS
    This could be huge
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Microsoft probably laughed when they heard this. Google is just trying to find a way to make money without using advertising. This is not a bomb...this is a single 9mm bullet fired at the army of Microsoft.
    From what I hear, Google's option will be free.

IF Microsoft's won't be, that could be explosive.
    This is like a bomb disguised as a birthday present. Google has really been dipping their hands in a lot of cookie jars lately and if they keep doing it, they could fail miserably. I am happy Google stuck to their guns of keeping their main search page simple. This is something other search engines did not do. If Google will stay by the motto of K.I.S.S. they should be just fine. But if they try to make it very elaborate to "overpower" MS, they will lose easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    From what I hear, Google's option will be free.

IF Microsoft's won't be, that could be explosive.
    Linux proves that "free" is not always "free" nor does it matter in the big scheme of things....

Google does nothing for free...

Far as the cloud OS, I still find it amazing, no one talks about Microsoft's recent strides into the cloud OS... of course, google makes a bigger splash... as all others before them. I remember the talk when AOL was to crush MS. lol

At any rate, competition is good... no great.

The only hope that google has over other OS is that maybe companies will port over to the google os after a number of years... maybe hardware vendors will make room for google... maybe software developers will as well... that will be the true test....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Obscura
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Linux proves that "free" is not always "free" nor does it matter in the big scheme of things....

Google does nothing for free...
    Google produces plenty of freebies... for the masses. If one or more of those things is competition for an item for which Microsoft charges, then that's a threat.

Simple.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Lets follow the money here folks. Google generates all of its revenue how? Oh that's right, through Ads. And how do you push great ads? By tracking how users surf the web. Take a look at the ads in your gmail account next time. If you have tech email subscriptions, then the ads displayed will be tech related. Now imagine a whole OS that does this.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Exactly Drake. Mark Cuban has written some great blog posts recently about "free"...How long google can survive on free before a better free comes? I actually like Bing a lot, and W|A is really cool. I used gmail before the Pre, but I am not attached to it in anyway. When a better free email comes along I'll switch to that.

I looked at their financial statements just now. Pretty interesting numbers.

Here is a W|A comparison between GOOG and MSFT .

Soon enough there will be a company that out-Google's google...just like Google crushed Yahoo rather quickly.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on this one. Google likes to get in the news and start stuff, but Android was also supposed to revolutionize cell phones and pricing and what not, but guess what? People still pay just as much for a phone that runs Android, and it's still something of a technogeek item. I have yet to see many normal people using it.
    Same with Chrome. It's nice and fast, but it still lacks some refinement.
    We'll have to wait and see how Chrome OS turns out, but I don't expect it to even challenge normal Linux distros.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Exactly Drake. Mark Cuban has written some great blog posts recently about "free"...How long google can survive on free before a better free comes? I actually like Bing a lot, and W|A is really cool. I used gmail before the Pre, but I am not attached to it in anyway. When a better free email comes along I'll switch to that.

I looked at their financial statements just now. Pretty interesting numbers.

Here is a W|A comparison between GOOG and MSFT .

Soon enough there will be a company that out-Google's google...just like Google crushed Yahoo rather quickly.
    Wolfram Alpha is pretty sweet, but I think it's a different breed of search entirely. It looks for information, not links to other places like web pages. Different use, but I'm excited to see what it can do it 5 years!
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on this one. Google likes to get in the news and start stuff, but Android was also supposed to revolutionize cell phones and pricing and what not, but guess what? People still pay just as much for a phone that runs Android, and it's still something of a technogeek item. I have yet to see many normal people using it.
    It was a hot item for "normal people" last year. My step-dad is rocking the hell out of one (beating the hell out of it, too, unfortunately) and he is far from a tech-head.

My mom's co-workers were nuts for it. I don't really know why, to be honest. I never saw a commercial that I thought would draw the masses, but somehow it made a mark.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast