Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This tiny piece came off my Pre today. It is not from the plastic usb port plug, but from the Pre body itself, apparently where the usb plug was making contact. I'm not sure what that says about the quality of the plastic body.

The good news is that I can hardly tell (such a little sliver), and the usb port plug actually now goes in and out much easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/08/2009 at 05:14 PM.
    Mine broke off weeks ago. One side had snapped off at first and I tried to save it, kept pushing it back in. After awhile though I said screw it... I seriously doubt it will have any adverse effects.
    I honestly think that not much thought went into how thin that plastic was because they really want people to use the touchstone for charging so they concentrated on that... who knows really though.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    On a related note, my USB port has "sunk" into the body of the phone. So now I have th oreo-sliding issue and the sinking USB port. Has anybody else had their port move around?
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Get a Touchstone. I was completely against it at first, but after trying it out, I have purchased 2. One at home and one at the office. Life has been Zen since.
    Quote Originally Posted by av1atrx View Post
    On a related note, my USB port has "sunk" into the body of the phone. So now I have th oreo-sliding issue and the sinking USB port. Has anybody else had their port move around?
    Awe man! I have that same dang issue. I swear I am starting to HATE the oreo effect! It gets in the way of getting to the power button too.

Oh well, guess there is nothin' for it except to hope that there are newer, sturdier models in before my 30 return window is up.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    The frailty of the usb port cover is what convinced me to get a touchstone. That coupled with Best Buy's recent "2 for 1" touchstone mistake made it a no-brainer.

The touchstone is outrageously priced, but very useful and well-designed.
    The exact same thing happened to me, I never figured out where it actually came from, sounds like you did, explain if you can. About 3 days later I opened the usb port and the door got stuck in a flipped position, wouldn't budge, finally I twisted a little too hard and it snapped and came off, that was fine with me, but a few days later I noticed a small crack stemming from inside the port, it kept getting bigger so I exchanged my device. Horrible design.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Get a Touchstone. I was completely against it at first, but after trying it out, I have purchased 2. One at home and one at the office. Life has been Zen since.
    I bought one two days before this piece came off (while charging in the car).
    If Zen means hearing the charging ding ding notification over and over once the Pre reaches 100% and I'm trying to sleep, I think I'll start going to Confession again.

I must have got a bad one and will exchange it. It is a very nifty accessory and I hope they come out with a vehicle TS soon. The metal battery cover adds some heft, although I was disappointed to find I could still push on it and it would give. I don't appreciate being able to squeeze my smartphone and have it squish.

Mistermarc it came off the body. I unplugged the usb cable in my car, exited, and was about to push the plug in when I felt the piece. It was hanging by a thread and I yanked it off. I had to look ever so closely to tell where it came from. It came from the Pre body, parallel to the horizontal (longer) end of the usb plug, on the side closest to the Pre screen.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/08/2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    No scratches on mine, had since launch
    Quote Originally Posted by jhilman View Post
    I honestly think that not much thought went into how thin that plastic was because they really want people to use the touchstone for charging so they concentrated on that... who knows really though.
    If they wanted everyone to use Touchstone for charging, they should have charged less for the Touchstone kit and included a second AC adapter + USB cable.

I'm not willing to pay the $100 entry fee for the Touchstone, and apparently many other people aren't either. They really need to lower the price; the adoption rate would go through the roof if they did. It's really cheap to make!
    I agree, you pay for a $500 phone and you get one USB charger, and no case ( i dont consider the pouch they included a case). So you drop the $$ on the latest and greatest phone and then you have to pay another 100-150 to get a case and touchstone and still need pay another 30 to get another charger since the touchstone does not come with one....Thats just Palm not caring about its loyal customers....

Just yesterday I lost the little plastic piece under the USB port....didnt look like it was doing much there, so I helped it out a bit and removed it....If they are going to put in such a small flimsy piece of plastic, why even include it at all....

I am not returning it as I am already on my 4th Pre.

Mike
    I actually had a piece of the mirror on the back break off right behind the USB port. I keep my pre in the sleeve all the time and baby the friggin' thing after my first one got a chip on the screen. I have no idea how a piece of the mirror broke off but there it was sitting on he inside of my sleeve. Bizarre.
    My Pre developed a small crack below the USB port and it's growing towards the front of the phone. I took it in to Sprint and they ordered me a new one (they're out of stock). They promised to exchange it free of charge (I've had the phone for 50 days).

Definitely buying a Touchstone when the new Pre comes in.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    same thing happened to my bro, maybe he should get a touchstone
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Yup, this happened to me as well - that small piece of plastic suddenly showed up on my desk last week and I was puzzled about where it came from, as it looked like it came from the actual plug piece, but the plug piece worked fine. But now my entire USB cover is GONE. No idea where it went - I checked my pockets for it and no luck. The small little piece of plastic that the USB cover tether fits into (the piece with the hole) is gone as well, so now there's a gaping hole looking down into the phone. I would say that this is definately a warranty issue, no? I mean, it's not like I abused the cover, I just opened and closed it a few times a day to charge up the phone and connect to the computer!

And to make things worse, I'm leaving for a weekend getaway to the beach later today. Looks like I'll need to put something in there to seal up the phone - any ideas what I can use until I get the time to hit the Sprint store on Sunday?
    How are you guys opening the port cover? I use my fingernail from the top and gently pull it open. I checked around the egdes for any signs of wear and tear/ breakage and there's none. Granted it's only been a couple weeks of owning it but I constantly charge it or hook up to the computer to install homebrews. Also how does one sink the port cover into the phone? It would take a decent amount of pressure to do that.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I usually open the slider, and grab the bottom edge of the cover with my fingernail, then gently pull it open. Regardless of how you're opening it, however, this is a serious design flaw with the phone. The little piece of plastic below the USB port breaking off is a prelude to losing the entire cover, folks! Since I've got a Pre for a work phone as well, I'm going down right now and asking them to requisition a Touchstone for me...
    ouch
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Maybe if i leave the cover slightly open it might be easier to open the USB port?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast