Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Maybe if i leave the cover slightly open it might be easier to open the USB port?
    But then you run the risk of snagging the cover on something, ripping it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    I usually open the slider, and grab the bottom edge of the cover with my fingernail, then gently pull it open. Regardless of how you're opening it, however, this is a serious design flaw with the phone. The little piece of plastic below the USB port breaking off is a prelude to losing the entire cover, folks! Since I've got a Pre for a work phone as well, I'm going down right now and asking them to requisition a Touchstone for me...
    You open the slider? Now I see why that little piece broke. With the slider open it's easy to grab that little piece instead of the actual cover itself. After repeated bending it will give way eventually. Palm should make a little recess at the top of the cover so people won't be tempted to open slider and grab it from the bottom.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    You open the slider? Now I see why that little piece broke. With the slider open it's easy to grab that little piece instead of the actual cover itself. After repeated bending it will give way eventually. Palm should make a little recess at the top of the cover so people won't be tempted to open slider and grab it from the bottom.
    I really don't see how you can open it from the top. With the USB cover pushed all the way in, there's no room to slide a fingernail (well at least MY fingernail) in the top to open it. The only way I can open it with the slider closed is to put a fingernail inbetween the top and bottom and pull the cover out, but then that's the bottom of the cover.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Oh, and for those with experience - would this fall under the Pre warranty, or would I be using my TEP if I took it in and had it exchanged?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Just stumbled across this post. I have a crack extending from the lower edge of the USB port up toward and into the screen. I hadn't even looked at that little piece until I saw this. Mine is cracked inward in 2 halves. I have dropped my phone 3 times onto concrete with no immediate discernible damage, and once with the USB attached, so I just went ahead and asked for a new one under the TEP. I didn't try to see if Sprint or Palm would just replace it since I hadn't seen reports of THAT type of crack before and figured it was my own fault.
    I really don't see how you can open it from the top. With the USB cover pushed all the way in, there's no room to slide a fingernail (well at least MY fingernail) in the top to open it. The only way I can open it with the slider closed is to put a fingernail inbetween the top and bottom and pull the cover out, but then that's the bottom of the cover.
    I've got big fingers and clipped nails and I can still open it from the top. I use my thumb nail until it pops out far enough to grab with both fingers. At first it did feel a little tough but got progressively easier with time. Doing it this way puts very little pressure on the plastic parts around the port.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    My Pre developed a small crack below the USB port and it's growing towards the front of the phone. I took it in to Sprint and they ordered me a new one (they're out of stock). They promised to exchange it free of charge (I've had the phone for 50 days).

Definitely buying a Touchstone when the new Pre comes in.
    I got my Pre on 9/3 and this morning the port cover came off. I also noticed a hairline crack that starts at the port cover, which looks like it could move toward the screen. I hope Sprint will give me a new, NOT refurbished Pre today after work!
    The USB port has been a big issue... my first two Pre's cracked in this area. Either the little plug is putting too much pressure on the area surrounding the port or it's a design flaw.

I'm pretty sure that pulling and pushing the cover in and out only adds to the stress. I'd just pull it out completely to avoid future trouble.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Mine broke off as well... snapped on the corner and when I saw it I snipped it off with some scissors I had laying around. Useless piece of plastic = bye bye.

Consider it a lightweight modification
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Hey, that little piece on mine came off just today. I knew the USB cover would be a problem but I thought IT would break, not the body. Oh well, you can't see it and it doesn't appear to hinder the function so I guess its fine. Its just one of those things that I know is there so now its bugging me.
    My Pre has all three issues posted here (crack from USB door, missing USB door and broken horizontal plastic guide). I stopped at Sprint today; they are going to order a refurb phone at no cost to me. They are calling it "wear and tear" and since I have TEP it will be no cost to me. I post a note on this site as soon as I get a replacement. I hope I get a decent build, with no Oreo.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    This USB port cover is a big problem. My screen cracked from the normal force required to close the charge port. Had Pre since June, great phone. It still works fine.

Called for Advance Exchange under warranty from Palm - because though I mostly use the Touchstone, the crack is spreading - they sent me a replacement phone that booted to the four-color hardware test screen, which I sent back after grumbling at the customer service rep who diagnosed hardware failure - and I now await the second AE Pre.

When I do get a replacement that works I'm having Sprint service at the store cut the tether and remove the cover to prevent this problem.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I have a launch day Pre and my cover came off two days ago. Apparently, the little piece of plastic underneath the cover broke and that's all she wrote. I'd love to maybe glue the cover back and get a touchstone, but I have the 2600 extended battery and I don't believe the touchstone works with that (yet). So since I'm still using the USB I have to go with out the cover. I have the warranty, but I don't want to have to pay $100 for shoddy craftmanship and run the risk of possibly getting a worse phone (Oreo, headphone jack issues, etc.) I guess I'll stick it out for as long as I can.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Oh, and for those with experience - would this fall under the Pre warranty, or would I be using my TEP if I took it in and had it exchanged?
    Technically, it would be physical damage, but with a bunch of Pres and how little the piece is, Service and Repair would exchange at no charge. It depends on the actual tech though. If its been a bad day they could list it as PD. This is the exact reason i got a TS, dont have to worry about that stupid door unless im using a data cable.
    Last edited by NxTech3; 10/19/2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Touchstone should come with it, and they should bump up the cost just to cover it. I'm paying 149.99 anyway since I'm in Canada though. For the longest time it was the same price of the iPhone.
  16.    #36  
    It turns out that when I started this thread I didn't really know where the piece came off from. Now I do. The remainder came off tonight, and that was what was keeping the post of the usb plug from coming out completely.

I see now the piece originally ran across the bottom of the usb port, and curved up the left side. The good pic is from precentral's photo gallery, which shows it intact.

My usb plug still snaps in, but it seems like it's only a matter of time until I lose it. My two Touchstones will help.

I may try for an exchange at this point, but I'm not sure of the outcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by galavanter; 10/22/2009 at 06:48 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12