Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So far I have dropped it twice form about 5ft high (being stupid on the threadmill) and not a single scratch or dent on it. no case on it, just the bestskinsever shield.

Anyone have great outcomes after a spill? or has it been bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    So far I have dropped it twice form about 5ft high (being stupid on the threadmill) and not a single scratch or dent on it. no case on it, just the bestskinsever shield.

Anyone have great outcomes after a spill? or has it been bad?
    Dropped mine from about 4 ft onto my concrete garage floor getting out of my car. Was afraid to look at it, but lo and behold there was no damage. No scratches on screen or case. Borders on the miraculous!
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I've dropped mine 3 times, was scared each time....Only 1 little scratch on the back of the PRE on the touchstone back cover!!! I'm not sure if it hit the screen or not but I do have an invisible shield on it and not a scratch on the front.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Dropped mine also. Getting out of the car it caught on my seat belt and hit the pavement. Slight marks on the top left edge where it meets plastic, but still working fine.
    I've dropped mine four times, and I crapped my pants each time..

The first time was onto concrete; when it hit the ground, the back took the biggest hit and there are some hardly noticeable scratches near the camera area. The plastic for the flash is scratched, but it hasn't affected my picture-taking abilities.

The second time was onto carpet. Like edgar, I was also working out (ellpitical, in my case). Nothing happened... cushioned surface, so makes sense.

Third time was onto a marble floor. Unlike the first two times, this one wasn't from a significant height. No scratches this time.

The fourth (and most frustrating) one was when I was sitting in my desk, with my phone on the edge. I got a text message and the vibration caused the phone to fall to the ground. This time it fell face-first onto the ground, and I have two very tiny dents on the plastic surface for the touchscreen. I would hardly notice it, but being an anal-retentive Pre owner still in love with his relatively new phone, it pains me to look at it. Oh well.

What I think is worth noticing (aside from the lack of scratches/dents) is that the phone itself has proven to be rather sturdy. All those falls and the sliding mechanism hasn't loosened, no increased wobbling between the two halves of the phone, nothing falling off or coming loose.

Good job, Palm.
    Wow, this is good to know and given the slider issues, I'm glad to hear it. Right now I'm babying it big time, but as my 700p and Centro can attest, it's time will come.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    I've dropped mine four times, and I crapped my pants each time..

The first time was onto concrete; when it hit the ground, the back took the biggest hit and there are some hardly noticeable scratches near the camera area. The plastic for the flash is scratched, but it hasn't affected my picture-taking abilities.

The second time was onto carpet. Like edgar, I was also working out (ellpitical, in my case). Nothing happened... cushioned surface, so makes sense.

Third time was onto a marble floor. Unlike the first two times, this one wasn't from a significant height. No scratches this time.

The fourth (and most frustrating) one was when I was sitting in my desk, with my phone on the edge. I got a text message and the vibration caused the phone to fall to the ground. This time it fell face-first onto the ground, and I have two very tiny dents on the plastic surface for the touchscreen. I would hardly notice it, but being an anal-retentive Pre owner still in love with his relatively new phone, it pains me to look at it. Oh well.

What I think is worth noticing (aside from the lack of scratches/dents) is that the phone itself has proven to be rather sturdy. All those falls and the sliding mechanism hasn't loosened, no increased wobbling between the two halves of the phone, nothing falling off or coming loose.

Good job, Palm.
    Dude! Stop dropping your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    This time it fell face-first onto the ground, and I have two very tiny dents on the plastic surface for the touchscreen. I would hardly notice it, but being an anal-retentive Pre owner still in love with his relatively new phone, it pains me to look at it. Oh well.
    Use some toothpaste and gently polish with cloth or Q-tip. It worked great for scratches in my watch face!
    Quote Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
    Dude! Stop dropping your Pre.
    +1

I have not drop mine *knocks on wood* but this is my 2nd Pre, so time will tell; the 1st one, my daughter dropped it from about 4 feet onto pavement surface, boy, I did not breath for what it felt like eternity The back took the hit, a hardly noticeable scratch, but nothing else happen to it, phewww was I glad And finally breathing of course

Also, this 2nd Pre finally has protection, I installed (for the first time in my life) a set of bestskinsever a few hours ago (like around 9pm last night), the corners were the harder ones but so far they seem to be almost perfect, not bad for a first timer
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Almost dropped mine today, it was some slow motion movie type shi... I was walking home after seeing someone, and was skipping the next song in Pandora, and I don't remember exactly why but it flew out my hand up in the air a bit. I fumbled around with it a bit before I got a solid grip on it.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Dropped mine on launch day 6 hours after I got the phone. Standing in kitchen polishing it with a microfiber cloth it slipped out and fell hard on tile floor. Got a small crack on lower left corner of the front section. Phone works great though so no TEP until I start seeing some new hardware revisions. Have my preorder in for the new Seidio Surface case and holster combo so at least that will cover my baby's boo boo.
    dropped twice before i got a case. once hit a rug and no biggie, second time a kitchen floor that is not hard and nothing. Boith actually were not drops but people hitting it while it was on a table and the phone slide off the table. Now that I got a case I dont worry as much.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I dropped it from 5 ft on a tiled floor.
    No issues.
    This little phone is sturdy !!!!
    Ditto... Really really hard drops... can't give exact number, but really hard... No problems.. Interestingly... I have power off problems and when they get bad, I take the battery out and put it back in really good and I'm good for a few more days... I'm waiting for newer release and I'll just complain then and try to get a new one...
    I dropped mine onto the concrete from about 5 feet. Lol, I tried to catch it, which actually caused me to fling it a little harder than it would've fallen on its own. It got a few scratches on the upper left/back corner, but it's fine otherwise. hehe, I was in a bad mood for a little while after that...
    oh man, I cringed reading each of these. Still haven't dropped mine yet... it's only a matter of time. Glad to see so many favorable outcomes.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    I have dropped mine too and I have yet to get a good case and screen protector. However the screen still looks great, but there is a few marks on the outer casing. Overall however I am impressed, but it makes me cringe thinking about it too.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Dropped mine while in the E.R. - slid out of my hand and thunked on the floor. No damage, no scratches. Wasn't really freaked out at the time due to the pain medication I was on. By the way, this is a great phone in an emergency. Allowed me to contact the right people very quickly, by using the universal search, and is very easy to operate when in pain. My blackberry had a tendency to decide that it needed to either reset or or lose signal at random times (when in need, usually). My WinMo phone just took time to work - and required a certain amount of focus (and it was easy to hit the wrong button, and fixing that mistake could take several steps).
    The Pre, on the other hand, very simple to use. And tough - didn't scratch or dent or whatever. Even landed screen-down.
    ive dropped mine twice....1st time at my friends house without the invisible shield it was a 2ft drop landed on the touchscreen...but nothing happened i was so scared...2nd time was when i had the invisible shield on...3-4 ft drop and nothing...no scratches or anything
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I gently tossed my first Pre about 5 feet, from the chair I was in to the couch my wife was sitting on. I didn't think anything about it, as I've thrown my Treo around thousands of times (worse than that). HOWEVER... that caused the screen wobble (oreo I think you're calling it?) and really frustrated me.

I took it to Sprint, simply inquired about the battery problem (shutting off when closing) and they quickly replaced it. The new phone (Manuf. 6/17 I think) had resisted 6 ft. treadmill drops and accidently punting across the room. Still no problems, no wobble (oreo?), only two minor screen scratches that probably came from being in my pocket.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast