1.    #1  
    Hey guys! I am thinking about switching from an Apple Iphone (ATT) to a Pre with Sprint. But I have a few questions for the experts before I jump into a contract.

1. Is it true that while I am browsing the web, all my calls will go to voicemail?
    2. I've been reading alot about how the Pre feels flimsy or cheaply made, any truth to this?
    3. Is there any way that I can listen to Sirius (Specifically Howard Stern) on the Pre?
    4. Has there been any date thrown out yet by Palm as to when more apps will be coming? Specifically Facebook, Myspace, News, PocketTunes.
    5. Has anyone used the airave? How is it? Does it help with voice and data? Or just voice?
    6. Why would you recommend the pre over the iphone?
    7. Is it worth switching to Sprint to get this phone?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    1. Is it true that while I am browsing the web, all my calls will go to voicemail?

No.

2. I've been reading alot about how the Pre feels flimsy or cheaply made, any truth to this?

In my personal experience, no. I know 5 people who have them, only 1 had an issue and that was with the battery.

3. Is there any way that I can listen to Sirius (Specifically Howard Stern) on the Pre?

Unsure

4. Has there been any date thrown out yet by Palm as to when more apps will be coming? Specifically Facebook, Myspace, News, PocketTunes.

I think the SDK is coming out in August. Expect the apps to flow after that.

5. Has anyone used the airave? How is it? Does it help with voice and data? Or just voice?

I have heard good things about the Airave. I believe it does both voice and data.

* WEBOS
    * Synergy
    * Multiple apps open at once
    * Better size and feel
    * Touchstone
    * Less expensive monthly plans than AT&T
    * Physical Keyboard
    * Just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure others will add to this list.

Honestly, I think it depends on how important the apps are to you. If you can't live without all the iphone apps, I'd wait. Personally, I'd give it a couple of months...let the SDK come out. Let them tighten up the build quality. Let them patch a few bugs. I don't think you'll be disappointed in a switch then.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    - That's only when not using 3G EVDO. That used to be true of the older CDMA 3G implementations. EVDO does away with that. It allows the data to be paused, the call to come through and for the user to choose to take the call and halt the data stream or ignore the call and continue the data stream. This is a network issue not a phone issue. It's the same for Verizon. It should also be noted that since the phone is wifi enabled as long as you are near wifi you won't have to worry about data pausing since it won't be using the CDMA network.

- It's not glass and metal like some other phones. There are some reports of built quality issues, light leaks, stuck pixels, loose batteries, but it sounds like newer shipments are much improved in this regard.

- Not currently. The Sirius app for the iPhone was only just recently announced. The current web access requires Windows Media Plugin which doesn't exist for the Pre yet.

- Palm just opened the doors to more developers. New apps should be rolling in soon and the SDK will be released to everyone by the end of Summer. There are already people doing homebrew, as of July 7th there are a little over 20 apps in the homebrew category and 30 in the official catalog. The Pre already comes with a decent media player and you can get Pandora from the app catalog as well as stream media from a variety of internet streaming sites like Soma.fm and others. There are a couple of dedicated news apps already like the AP and NY Times apps. In homebrew there's a Dilbert and Garfield app for comics. Personally I think it's a little silly to have dedicated apps for websites unless they offer some sort of offline capability so meh to Facebook, Myspace and News apps.

- The airrave is useful if you live or work in an area with spotty coverage. The airrave is a femtocell device that hooks up to your broadband internet connection. As far as I understand it does not provide EVDO data speeds and is primarily designed for improving voice calls. It would make sense if using the airrave to get a broadband wireless access point. The phone could then use the airrave for voice and the wireless AP for fast internet connectivity.

- Ease of use/Intuitiveness (WebOS UI)
    - Synergy/Synchronization
    - Multitasking
    - Speed (not processing speed but use and network speeds)
    - Notifications beautiful, beautiful unobtrusive notifications
    - Ergonomic form

- It depends on what you are using right now. If you are new to smart phones then I'd say yes. If you are on a crappy smart phone (I'm talking about you T-Mobile Shadow) or a "semi" smart phone (still talking about you T-Mobile Shadow) then the answer is yes. Mainly because all those nice features that crappy smart phones tell you they have but are impossible to use day-to-day, the Pre makes easy (contacts, web browsing, MMS/SMS, GPS, e-mail, tasks)
    -If you are currently on an iPhone and happy with it or on another smart phone that you are happy with then you might wait until the app catalog starts to fill out in a month or two. If you're happy with the iPhone and you have your favorite apps already then wait until those developers port over to the Pre and then switch and you'll be happier.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this. I've owned an iPod Touch for the last year and loved it because of a few select apps. It's now very frustrating for me to go and try to use my iPod because it there's no gesture area and switching between applications is suddenly just very frustrating. Despite the fact that the Pre doesn't have those select apps (excluding Pandora) the iPod has sat unused for the last 4 weeks.
    I agree. If you don't hunger for synergy and multi-tasking i'd wait. Let it mature. Also Sprint is way cheaper if that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by UsinMyIllusion View Post
    Hey guys! I am thinking about switching from an Apple Iphone (ATT) to a Pre with Sprint. But I have a few questions for the experts before I jump into a contract.
      Generally speaking, no. If you're not in an EVDO area, this will happen.
      Not at all in my opinion, but that's also very subjective. I thought it would as well, and was surprised at how "solid" the plastic feels. I was also (even after owning it for a couple of weeks) worried about scratches and dropping. Mine looks brand new (no scratches), and I've heard it survives drops very well.
      No Howard Stern, the Pre is *****-proof. OK, seriously, no way I know of to listen to Sirius radio yet. No reason they couldn't do this ("they" meaning Sirius); but I haven't heard anything that makes me think they will.
      The SDK will be out publicly at the end of the summer. In the meantime, Palm has substantially increased the number of recipients of the SDK (I've hard tripled), and eased some of the restrictions. I wouldn't be surprised to see dozens more literally any day now.
      I have it, and it's great. It only helps with voice. As a matter of fact, it could denegrate data, since it would force the connection from EVDO to 1x. However, reality is that I always use the Pre WIFI when I'm at home, so the issue is moot.
      I probably wouldn't, a phone is just too personal a choice to tell others what they should do. That said, getting away from ATT's network and pricing, and Apple's control would be two reasons.
      Can't really answer that one for you. Check the pricing based on what you want the phones to do. I have had relatively few problems with Sprint in the 6 years I've been with them, but YMMV.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    3. I believe some people are streaming SiriusXM from their home using Orb.
  7.    #7  
    A few more questions:

8. How is the email? Is it push?
    9. How is Sprint tv and radio?

I'm sure I'll think of more eventually. Thank you to all the people who have answered me so far.
    8. How is the email? Is it push?
    If you email supports it, yes. Gmail and IMAP Idle both push.

9. How is Sprint tv and radio?
    Like it has been. Channels have been removed. Sprint TV only streams over Cell data, so you don't get a good quality if you are using WiFi at home, but have crappy cell data there. I'm in that situation.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    The pre is plastic, but not like...take out fork plastic. The iphone definitely feels more substantial, but, as someone who has used the iphone, treo, and touch (even that was sort of 'significant' although not weighty), the pre is a refreshing change of pace. I think people conflate 'cheap' with 'not the feeling I was expecting.' This isnt phone that you will put in your pocket and be aware that it is dragging your pants down (if only a bit in the case of the treo and iphone) for instance.

There is push email. Sprint tv I honestly havent used.
    One neg is the small memory size on the pre. 8gb is just not enough for my use. But for other people I am sure it's adequate.