1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I'm about to go to Radio Shack and exchange my phone (screen blotches, random shutoffs). What gets restored to the Pre when you log into the Palm Profile? Do your web bookmarks and stuff get restored? I know pictures don't.

Also, if I use WebOS Doctor, will it wipe out everything it needs to wipe out (personal information in the phone, etc)?

Lastly, what do I need to do when I'm there looking at the new one to make sure it's new and not a "used" one already, etc?
    I just completed this process at a Sprint store tonight and here is a summary of results.

Backup:

I had to download/install the 1.04 update. Replacement came with 1.03 out of the box.

You will lose your web bookmarks. They are not backed up to Palm profile and I'm not aware of a way to 'extract' them from the device before handing the old one over. I typed the URLs up and will reenter them by hand over time.

My email, contacts, IM, calendar configurations were restored. It took a few minutes for the sync to restore all of the related content (email messages in inbox, contact list, buddy list, etc.) but it all appears to be there.

I had to rework some of my contacts, however, as synergy linked some that I had 'unlinked' on my previous device. I was 'missing' some contacts until I found them linked under other contacts.

I had to reconfigure speed dials, my previous speed dial associations did not get restored on my new device.

The applications I had downloaded/installed from the app store were restored BUT the configurations within them were not (e.g. I had to reload the ticker symbols of the stocks I track in Express Stocks and I had to re-add the baseball team schedule to my calendar from the SportingNews app).

I had to rearrange my launcher and quick launch bar. The palm profile does not remember what icons you had on what page or in what order you had them. It resets to default, out of the box order.

I had to reconfigure phone sounds/ringtones (system sound was back to default level) after I restored my ringtones from the PC (via USB).

I had to reconfigure screen/lock to increase brightness a bit and change my wallpaper (after I restored images from PC via USB).

I had to reload my music from PC via USB (I use iTunes).

I'm sure I'll have to reconfigure my WiFi for home network (security key).

Make sure you force a backup before you hand the old phone over. Although it says it does a backup daily, the last backup date on my phone was 7/4 (not 7/6 as expected).

How can you ensure it is a new one:

Not sure these are best methods but I checked a couple of things. 1) I looked at how many time the slider had been opened. 2) I looked at the Reverse Logistics Support page (##7786# from phone app) to see A) what the warranty datecode was (6-28-09) and B) that the recondition date (reconddate) was blank and recondition status (recondstatus) was 'no'.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhawksr1 View Post
    How can you ensure it is a new one:

Not sure these are best methods but I checked a couple of things. 1) I looked at how many time the slider had been opened. 2) I looked at the Reverse Logistics Support page (##7786# from phone app) to see A) what the warranty datecode was (6-28-09) and B) that the recondition date (reconddate) was blank and recondition status (recondstatus) was 'no'.

Hope this helps.
    Good post. Unfortunately the RLS page does not accurately show refurbished status. Although that page said my recondition status was 'no' and the date field was blank, it arrived in a white envelope without accessories or a battery and a Sprint tech told me over the phone it's refurbished...

And I would definitely shy away from refurbished phones until this issue is resolved.

Brett
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    How do you see how many times the slider has been opened?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    X2. I tried to search, but it just seems there are so many threads, even search isn't great to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
    Well, I am glad someone else asked this question. I was beginning to this I was just an ***** for not already knowing.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
    Well, I am glad someone else asked this question. I was beginning to this I was just an ***** for not already knowing.
    Device info -> more info (at the bottom) -> Preferences -> Interactive Tests - > Hardware buttons -> Skip -> There you go!

Brett