Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    yeah saw it...that turning movement and the extreme pallor to her face make it a little eerie ( saw it with sound turned down )
    Someone already beat you to the thread.

Heres the Link

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pre-ad-tv.html
    Merged. Also still can't find the video online
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    Someone already beat you to the thread.

Heres the Link

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pre-ad-tv.html
    Anybody got a link? The links in the thread point to the old ad with the red dressed people in the field (released before the Pre even came out).
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Merged. Also still can't find the video online
    I couldn't find it either and if I can't find it, it's not there.

I finally found the article that referenced Palm's advertising campaign. There are five ads altogether, but only 3 that will be shown on TV, the rest on the web. There target audience isn't the hysterical "appZ" types, but women. Me! I'm their audience, and I give the commercials my personal blessing. They're creating mystique and calmness in a life of scheduling and work and family that creates chaos. We don't need no stinkin' fart apps and we haven't got time for games.

In the week before the release of the new Palm Pre handset on Saturday June 6, Palm started generating buzz when it launched its first ad, "Flow," for the $200 smart phone on Facebook. In just three days the Web ad attracted 11,000 "fans" Palm hopes will become customers.

The target? Women who currently don't use or don't like the BlackBerry, made by Research in Motion, or the Apple iPhone. In the "Flow" ad a serene blonde, surrounded by hundreds of orange-clad dancers, taps her fingers over the Pre's touchscreen. "My life, like all our lives, is made up of so many other lives," goes the commercial voiceover, which also includes a woman making references to children, friends and a job.

The ads are supposed to show how easy it is to use a Pre, which features a cover and a slide-out mini keyboard. It's also aimed at attracting regular folks to the gadget. The BlackBerry's image is corporate, and iPhone users are young and tech-savvy; many U.S. women--only 38% have smart phones--are alienated by those brands, says Scott Hancock, Palm's director of marketing and communications. "We just want to be known as a brand that will make people's lives easier."

Palm plans to roll out at least five ads this month as part of its estimated $75 million campaign. All will run on the Web. Its first TV spots--there will be three of those--are set to air on June 22, the day after Palm takes over the YouTube home page.

Palm Revs Up Marketing To Pitch The Pre - Forbes.com
    I did a quick Youtube search for some of the other videos (saw one of them on Tuesday watching Conan), but found an old (apparently unaired) Palm ad I found interesting.

Yes, it seems in addition to doing many of the things the iPhone does long before Apple did, Palm also did "there's an app for that" long before Apple did. (It's a joke, don't all the iPhone lovers attack me for that. )
    So far I've seen two ads, "Facebook" ad with the singer and the the "Flow" ad with the Chinese dancers.

splendAd - Sprint - Palm Pre - Facebook - Dooryway commercial

The Facebook ad feels self-conscious and overly hip. You have the gigantic blocky Facebook page flying through space as a woman sings inside it. And while the song by itself is cool, the lyrics, "I want to feel you...I've got to shake you off...I watch the doorway...You get right under my skin...You get right under my skin!" and overall tone seem to suggest an obsessive, turbulent relationship. Now I may be revealing more about myself than I realize but the whole emo-chick who'll crash your car, make you get a tattoo of her name, and then write a nasty song about you after you break up suggests an instability and chaos which would seem to be the opposite of what Palm and Sprint would want the ad to convey.

The Palm Pre Flow Ad and behind the scenes : Palm USA

I was fairly ambivalent about the Flow ad at first but I find myself liking it more and more. While surrounding a blond goddess figure with a legion of worshipful Chinese dancers might seem like an odd cultural message at first, it really is more about appealing women than anything else. And on closer inspection, this ad does something that the other one does not. It actually shows the woman using (albeit far too briefly) the Pre's apps. We see her making appointments in the Calendar, looking at pictures of her baby, using email, launching Pandora with the Wave Launcher, and flipping through each of these applications with the cards which she flicks off the screen as the commercial comes to an end. All the while she is talking about her life and relating it to how we all live our lives interacting with other people as the commercial uses these applications to illustrate her points and the dancers' movements reinforce them.

So the ad does exactly what its critics want it to do, it shows off what the device can do. It's not as simplistic as "there's an app for that" but it isn't trying to be. It does three things very well:
    1. It is eye catching so people are less likely to fast forward past it.
    2. It has the feel of a mini-movie making it more likely that people will want to watch it again and again.
    3. It shows the device and its apps in use even if it can be justly criticized for not doing this enough.

The ad's artsy touches also serve a useful purpose in that they create a "Zen" feel (newbies to Palm products should Google "Zen of the Palm" and see what comes up) which implies bringing order to chaos. (Notice this is exactly the opposite feel to that of the chaotic Facebook ad which I criticize above.) Combined with the voice over and dancers, it creates a powerful and memorable brand.

Ultimately however I think the most effective ads for the Pre are the ones that don't mention it at all. The "Here's what's happening now on the 'Now Network'" which Sprint aired before the Pre debuted. They didn't mention the Pre by name but they all ended with the mock up of the Pre. The implication of these ads are that the Pre can do anything that is shown in the commercial and fits the frenetic lifestyle which it depicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I did a quick Youtube search for some of the other videos (saw one of them on Tuesday watching Conan), but found an old (apparently unaired) Palm ad I found interesting.

Yes, it seems in addition to doing many of the things the iPhone does long before Apple did, Palm also did "there's an app for that" long before Apple did. (It's a joke, don't all the iPhone lovers attack me for that. )
    Yes but you'll notice that they didn't actually show a Palm device in the ad. A missed opportunity if ever there was one.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Yes but you'll notice that they didn't actually show a Palm device in the ad. A missed opportunity if ever there was one.
    YES! well spotted that is the advert Palm needs to re-air (almost as it is) now, tomorrow and for the next few months. PERFECT.

Just add a few shots of people in those scenes using a PRE (but keep is far enough away from the device so that a user can't tell what it is). Also don't introduce visibility of a phone until the last third of all the scenes

Change the part about 1,000's of apps. Update the scenarios so that they apply to functionality/apps that are currently available on the PRE

Finish the last segment with the a picture of the PRE and seeing the side swipes (no fingers just see the screen doing this) and the slide out keyboard (then slide it back). Then end the scene with the Palm logo the statement and the PRE

There is some poetic justice in re-airing this as is. It is almost like saying Palm - we knew the future !

PERFECT!
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Test of load for my new Avatar please ignore.
    Last edited by as147; 07/09/2009 at 08:10 AM.
  11.    #91  
    Hey everyone, its musika again. I didn't know this thread got so popular!

Anyway, I caught the ad again, apparently there are many of these with different situations, but heres the one I saw

I recorded it on my Macbook Pro in Photo Booth so the video is BAD QUALITY, but here it is:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I also sent the news to Dieter a few days ago and I'm about to send him the video. Thanks everyone!

Dylan Seeger- 14 years of music
    www.twitter.com/dylanseeger
    Last edited by musika; 07/09/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musika View Post
    Hey everyone, its musika again. I didn't know this thread got so popular!

Anyway, I caught the ad again, apparently there are many of these with different situations, but heres the one I saw

I recorded it on my Macbook Pro in Photo Booth so the video is BAD QUALITY, but here it is:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I also sent the news to Dieter a few days ago and I'm about to send him the video. Thanks everyone!
    I just posted your post on Twitter so I bet we'll get a bunch of hits! THANKS! It's certainly odd.

Twitter / JoshH347: The "creepy Palm Pre comme ...
    Palm Pre Wallpapers
    Free backgrounds for your Palm Pre!
    Pick from hundreds of beautiful and artistic pictures to show off your new Pre!

Follow me on Twitter: @joshh347
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh347 View Post
    I just posted your post on Twitter so I bet we'll get a bunch of hits! THANKS! It's certainly odd.

Twitter / JoshH347: The "creepy Palm Pre comme ...
    Thanks!

Dylan Seeger- 14 years of music
    Dylan Seeger (dylanseeger) on Twitter
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I posted it on YouTube so everyone can view it! I hope thats okay!

Palm Pre Wallpapers
    Free backgrounds for your Palm Pre!
    Pick from hundreds of beautiful and artistic pictures to show off your new Pre!

Follow me on Twitter: @joshh347
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    That is a sweet TV musika.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    That is a sweet TV musika.
    lol thats the crappy upstairs one, i could have shot it from the projector or the flat screen but i didnt feel like it lol
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

This commercial is VERY good at making Palm look good, not their products.
    What would make me want a phone really bad is seeing a couple things.

You know how that AD showed different people doing different things? Well, if they were holding a Pre and it showed those people how THEY were using and abusing Palm Pre's capabilities.
    For example, that guy who was driving the car... He could have looked at his Pre to see that turn by turn GPS that Sprint offers.

Or a guy with an umbrella in one hand and a Pre in the other hand watching the other guy get soaked wet when it is raining.
    Or the lady in that boat using the messaging features cause it says "whisper to a friend" or whatever.

Or the guy who has "Manage your Accounts" could have been holding a Pre showing off Synergy.

Hopefully somebody gets my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh347 View Post
    I posted it on YouTube so everyone can view it! I hope thats okay!

I finally saw this ad on TV and was very disappointed. It felt so listless and devoid of energy. Worse, it had an air of smug self-satisfaction that evokes the worse stereotypes about the users of a certain rival handset maker....And the Pre doesn't appear until the very end and for barely two seconds. Even though the ad appears to be a follow up to the Flow ad (same actress with the same clothing, hair, and makeup), its production values were much lower. The colors were too bright and looked over-exposed, making the ad look cheap and drab.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Ultimately however I think the most effective ads for the Pre are the ones that don't mention it at all. The "Here's what's happening now on the 'Now Network'" which Sprint aired before the Pre debuted. They didn't mention the Pre by name but they all ended with the mock up of the Pre. The implication of these ads are that the Pre can do anything that is shown in the commercial and fits the frenetic lifestyle which it depicts.
    Yes! Perfection would be tying the Pre in this ad with more than a picture at the end. All they need do is add a voice over the pic of the Pre saying something like: "Introducing the Pre, the exclusive smart phone of the Now Network. The Pre gets Now. The only smart phone to multi-task."
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast