Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    You have mentioned nothing new other than synergy, and MMS. Whoa!! Lets all throw a party now!!

For many people certain appz are important. the 30 they have currently is not really cutting it. I can be patient and wait a bit longer granted the phone has been out a month. BUT Palm did have iPhone G1 and BB as a platform to have been able to crank out plenty more appz than that.

My theory is that they are relying more on homebrew apps to satisfy us users, IE the "supposed" SDK leak was not a leak at all, but a clever plan to get the appz developed.
    lol be paitent, please you arn't going anywhere. You obviosuly got the pre for more than just apps and the lack thereof won't make you leave and get the jesus phone..who are you kidding. If apps are the most important thing to you then why not get the iphone? and if they are very important then get some other device that balances the pre's strenghts with the availability of apps. If they are important but not the most important thing in a phone/are willing to wait like a person who bought the phone knowing its limitations then you will sit back and wait like the rest of us pre owners
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm has absolute control of what goes in the app catalog or what app can be installed on your Pre.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-devel...eement-altered

Applications Can Only Be Distributed Through the Palm Application Catalog. Developer acknowledges and agrees, that absent a separate written agreement with Palm, Developer may not distribute any Application except as allowed by Palm's formal approved distribution process and channel (the "Application Catalog").

The days of going to a third party site, downloading a palm app and installing are over. The app won't be available unless Palm approves it. Of course we'll have our own version of hacking but that's not the point.
    That is not a physical limitation of the device, but rather part of the current SDK. I do not see this as "reneging". The device can still have sideloaded apps installed, and the SDK is not yet final.

Judging whether or not Palm is "reneging" based on the current SDK would be tantamount to saying that Palm would not allow people to talk about their Apps, since that was part of the original SDK.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm is marketing to the masses, not us. We might take the browser for granted for example. The mainstream only knows the iphone's browser looks fantastic because they show it off. They've no clue the Pre has a similar one.

So i think Palm does need to show the browser. But they can do it in a way that shows multitasking off as well like having Pandora playing in the background.

The integrated messenging app? Show it off. That's huge. Tie in notifications.

There's any number of ways to do this without looking like Apple. But the Pre (webOS) is the star of the commercial.
    I agree with you on this. Show off the multitasking and let's be honest they are competing with the iPhone. Rub it in the the iPhone fanboyz what they CAN'T do.

All while DEVELOP MORE APPZ
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Lets all throw our Pre's away people! it's doesn't have apps!!!!
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

it's been out for barely a month and can only do the following:
    It makes calls, has a sync-able calender, synergy, a full browser, a music player, 30 apps, tasks, memos, maps, navigation, a camera, picture viewer, sms, mms, plays videos, plays music, sprint tv, alarm clock, calculator, aim,google talk

Wow, the pre sucks...
    But does it have a compass? Yeah, huh, see?!? It sucks!
    Nope they're mini-laptops/PC's. Do you not install appz on your computer? I want to be able to take video, forward text, run the same appz I had on my 700P without having to resort to some "classic app" that may or may not run it. I for the love of God please some notifications.

Sure you can just as easily go to Ebay and or craigslist website on your browser but it's much easier and faster to run the app to parse the data.
    I'm not even sure what appz are. Sleepy apps or something?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm not even sure what appz are. Sleepy apps or something?
    Portable razor app. That would be kind of cool but I'm afraid it would get whiskers in the slider.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    lol be paitent, please you arn't going anywhere. You obviosuly got the pre for more than just apps and the lack thereof won't make you leave and get the jesus phone..who are you kidding. If apps are the most important thing to you then why not get the iphone? and if they are very important then get some other device that balances the pre's strenghts with the availability of apps. If they are important but not the most important thing in a phone/are willing to wait like a person who bought the phone knowing its limitations then you will sit back and wait like the rest of us pre owners
    I got the Pre because of the potential it had. I currently own a iPod Touch (jailbroken), so I've been able to pay around with so many appz, particularly utilities. And I have to admit the iPhone is a fun device. I find myself always on my iPod Touch either playing mafia live, or using the various appz that I've downloaded.

As per my Pre, well it's just there...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That is not a physical limitation of the device, but rather part of the current SDK. I do not see this as "reneging". The device can still have sideloaded apps installed, and the SDK is not yet final.

Judging whether or not Palm is "reneging" based on the current SDK would be tantamount to saying that Palm would not allow people to talk about their Apps, since that was part of the original SDK.
    I agree. This seems very specifically intended to limit what the early access developers can do with the apps they develop. Palm wants apps to go through them for testing at this point before going onto anybody's Pre, it's that simple. And, it makes perfect sense.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    People WILL ***** and moan about any and everything
    You want Palm to Copy Apple's approach? The Pre isn't the Iphone.
    they are for different audiences and they are used in different ways.
    This isn't a direct response ad, Marketing isn't show and tell, marketing is selling a concept and an image to a potential consumer. eventually Palm will show off features but it has to sow the seeds of desire first.

Should geico turn into progressive with their show and tell ads? no
    Abstract marketing works for geico, let palm do what they do
    you do what works. if you're selling hamburgers everyone shows pictures of the big juicy burger. that's how it's done. Sorry. Yeah copy apple's approach. it sells product.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    you do what works. if you're selling hamburgers everyone shows pictures of the big juicy burger. that's how it's done. Sorry. Yeah copy apple's approach. it sells product.
    Wrong, you show the big juicy burger being eaten by a hot bikini model. That appears to be closer to Palm's approach. Look at the cute, if not a little creepy, girl and forget about the phone.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I got the Pre because of the potential it had. I currently own a iPod Touch (jailbroken), so I've been able to pay around with so many appz, particularly utilities. And I have to admit the iPhone is a fun device. I find myself always on my iPod Touch either playing mafia live, or using the various appz that I've downloaded.

As per my Pre, well it's just there...
    you got the pre for the POTENTIAL <---- (key word) and yet you sit here and complain that that potentioal hasn't come soon enough (1 month)
    you are full of fail sir. full of fail.

and why not get an iphone?
    If your pre sits there and you use the itouch all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Wrong, you show the big juicy burger being eaten by a hot bikini model. That appears to be closer to Palm's approach. Look at the cute, if not a little creepy, girl and forget about the phone.
    what is that Carl's Junior? First none of the broads in their videos are "hot." And they not exactly McDonalds or Burger King or any leading burger Joint. Even so they still showed the burger and the features of the burger that is how good it will taste. Palm does nothing. shows an albino chick standing talking hippie gibberish. Then she pokes a map and the commercial ends. That's horrible. And even by your standard it's not a hot chick and a phone.

And this they don't have apps is weak. It's not good to have no apps but for commericals apps are an add on and most companies stick to features that are available out of the box and for free as you can't advertise that a phone has some fancy game then have everyone buy the phone and realize it cost 15 bucks more to get the game. Thus not all but most apple ads stick to core features, even when it added games it didn't advertise the game it advertise that you could play games. But now it's advertising core features mostly, video recording, voice dial, copy and paste, etc. All a prospective palm buyer knows is it has a touchscreen and you can look at google maps. They don't know much of what it does.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    you got the pre for the POTENTIAL <---- (key word) and yet you sit here and complain that that potentioal hasn't come soon enough (1 month)
    you are full of fail sir. full of fail.

and why not get an iphone?
    If your pre sits there and you use the itouch all the time.
    What is the fail, other than the lack of basic functions to at least enjoy the phone with? No Video, forward of text, or notifications to bloody know if I missed a call? ya I think Palm FAILED on that one.

Trust me the phone would have been a complete fail had it not have a twitter, or facebook app.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    What is the fail, other than the lack of basic functions to at least enjoy the phone with? No Video, forward of text, or notifications to bloody know if I missed a call? ya I think Palm FAILED on that one.

Trust me the phone would have been a complete fail had it not have a twitter, or facebook app.
    Again Potential sir, you mentioned potential (existing in possibility)
    all those things will come.. yet you complain when you knew dam n well those things weren't available at launch, thats why you are full of fail.and the Pre does not have a facebook application
    what are you talking about?? do you even own one?

First off, the phone does notify you when you miss a call. In fact it is so absolutely intrusive I find it kind of annoying. Second, the iPhone took three operating system iterations, and three hardware iterations to bring video. If palm has it up there sleeve they are ahead of the game.

I am not even going to touch the ability to forward text messages, at least webOS 1.0.x came with some ability to copy and past, as well as notify you of incoming messages. Something the iPhone just barely got and still basically sucks at.

This is a NEW DEVICE. I saw you mention your old 700P. You are aware that the PalmOS was created and dropped I believe in the year 2002. Far from a baby operating system.

Did you not know it didn't have these things before you purchased it? Wow. Amazing.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Who forwards texts? Hardly a phone-killing issue. No video recording? Aw, so I can't make crap cell phone videos? Man, I am screwed. Like someone else said, wait a while and it will probably come to the phone. The iPhone took 2 years and multiple software/hardware releases to get video recording. No notifications? You mean pressing one button and immediately seeing how many missed calls, voicemails, texts, emails, and calendar notifications you have is too hard?

And the Pre is basic?? What other phone can run Pandora in the background while letting you surf the web in a full HTML browser and still allow you to quickly switch to the SMS app while not interrupting anything else you were doing at the time? The iPhone can't do it.

And for the love of god, please stop saying "appz".
    Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    And the Pre is basic?? What other phone can run Pandora in the background while letting you surf the web in a full HTML browser and still allow you to quickly switch to the SMS app while not interrupting anything else you were doing at the time? The iPhone can't do it.
    Definitions for the "Me Generation"

• basic
      -adjective
      My required functionality of a given device, application, or process.
    • fail
      -idiom
      Any entity which does not contain basic functions (see "basic")
    • universe
      -noun
      Me

Quote Originally Posted by erod550 View Post
    And for the love of god, please stop saying "appz".
    Yes, please, stop writing appz. You instantly lose a great deal of credibility when you use "appz" in any argument. What's wrong with good ol' "apps"?
    I just saw it on G4...unfortunately can't find it on Youtube.

Its the same girl but its just her kinda talking but with her back turned then turing to face the camera every once and a while.

Hard to explain but just wanted to give a heads up.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast