Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    People WILL ***** and moan about any and everything
    You want Palm to Copy Apple's approach? The Pre isn't the Iphone.
    they are for different audiences and they are used in different ways.
    This isn't a direct response ad, Marketing isn't show and tell, marketing is selling a concept and an image to a potential consumer. eventually Palm will show off features but it has to sow the seeds of desire first.

Should geico turn into progressive with their show and tell ads? no
    Abstract marketing works for geico, let palm do what they do
    Directly showing off the phone or its features is an apple copyright now?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    what do you want them to do? "there isnt an app for that" ad?
    Exactly! When they have no apps, what is there to advertise, other than synergy? Even some of the basic functions it's STILL lacking. Palm needs to get cracking on some of these appz quickly if they want to stay afloat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Exactly! When they have no apps, what is there to advertise, other than synergy? Even some of the basic functions it's STILL lacking. Palm needs to get cracking on some of these appz quickly if they want to stay afloat.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Isn't it true? That's what makes iPhone so successful. A simple commercial that advertises their appz, what the phone can do and voila, instant revenue!! No one cares about some chick with a bunch of monks, like some heal the world commercial.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    We have a lot of marketing and software dev geniuses here. Why don't you write to Palm, if you haven't already, and tell them what to do.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    We have a lot of marketing and software dev geniuses here. Why don't you write to Palm, if you haven't already, and tell them what to do.
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out they have no "material" to advertise. No apps= no adverts, simple!!
    Isn't it true? That's what makes iPhone so successful. A simple commercial that advertises their appz, what the phone can do and voila, instant revenue!! No one cares about some chick with a bunch of monks, like some heal the world commercial.
    I think the mainstream should know what the Pre can do starting with its browser. With synergy and multitasking, they can go in a lot of directions. Apps aren't as important. But even so, Palm could pick 2-3 to show off in featuring its app catalog. While they don't have 50k apps, they do have one app that apple can't do. Pandora in the background for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    No offense Jewel, but some of us have been leaving feedback with Palm for years. Engadget pretty much summed up a lot of thoughts and had to write a letter to them to wake them up.

They woke up and innovated a great OS but in many ways it's still the same Palm when it comes to audience focus, execution, and marketing. It didn't just start with the woman and Chinese dancers in prison garb commercials. Palm has been putting out bizarre commercials for years. "Multitasking" for the Centro. Santa Claus?

It's not just Palm, but the others don't come close either. Apple can make it sound like they've "invented" certain things because others don't do this.

Wouldn't it be sad if Apple gets its synergy and multitasking act together and then has people thinking they invented that too? Palm, you have it now, do some bragging.. The Pre and webOS are the stars..you don't need all the extras.
    Exactly! When they have no apps, what is there to advertise, other than synergy?
    What? The phone does other things besides apps. A number of Apple's commercials have nothing to do with apps. All some in this thread are saying is that the commercials should show what the phone can do. Not how a app works. Kind of pointless right. But for your way of thinking apps are what makes a phone work I guess.

Even some of the basic functions it's STILL lacking. Palm needs to get cracking on some of these appz quickly if they want to stay afloat.
    Once again I'm lost trying to understand your logic. You said that some of the basic functions of the phone are still lacking. Then you turn around and say that Palm should get cracking on some appz so that they stay afloat. What? So not fixing as you said some of the basic functions that are still lacking will not keep them from going under but getting some appz will? Uh, ok.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I actually like the ad campaign. Palm isn't exactly in the position to have a rush of people wanting the phone who arnt prepared for it's lack of (in some peoples' opinions) prime time status. Once we get closer to the app store being finalized and certain more obvious features being ironed out, there will be more and more natural buzz about the pre.

The commercials speak to access and potential to me, something that is incredibly important, but not obviously so to a traditionally non smartphone user who decides to try and iphone 'because it looks easy'. I don't feel palm get's this demographic's dollar in mass nor can it afford to; the chances of these people being scared off due to some snag with the nacent pre as a result of not being qualified accurately (something the iphone commercials do simulate) is higher than Palm can risk.

How many stupid threads do we have on here about 'omg guys should i go back to the iphone oh my god!??' And this is a PRE FORUM, meaning that these are generally internet literate people who have at least SOME semblance of problem solving ability or at least know how to go about solving their problem. People joked about it, but there was a reason palm/sprint had that employee instruction pack about properly qualifying customers-the closer the pre gets to fullproof, the better it will be for your average customer-in large part, the iphone is already there, but a large part of that is do to it's limitations. When you can only do so many types of things, it's much harder to screw them up.

These palm commercials instill wonder which is perfect for now. Palm simply can't afford to attack Apple or Blackberry from the front. Too many things are missing that limit it's appeal to hardcore casual users and hardcore business users.

But Palm can keep a low profile, lurk within strike distance, and, when things are perfect, catch it's opponents by the tail.

You stay quiet, maintain a lower profile, and grab them by the tail.
    Last edited by Stihl; 07/08/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    I actually like the ad campaign. Palm isn't exactly in the position to have a rush of people wanting the phone who arnt prepared for it's lack of (in some peoples' opinions) prime time status.
    So you're saying that they've intentionally crappified their commercials for fear that too many people would want one? Interesting theory.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    What? The phone does other things besides apps. A number of Apple's commercials have nothing to do with apps. All some in this thread are saying is that the commercials should show what the phone can do. Not how a app works. Kind of pointless right. But for your way of thinking apps are what makes a phone work I guess.

Once again I'm lost trying to understand your logic. You said that some of the basic functions of the phone are still lacking. Then you turn around and say that Palm should get cracking on some appz so that they stay afloat. What? So not fixing as you said some of the basic functions that are still lacking will not keep them from going under but getting some appz will? Uh, ok.

Look the phone is boring. Other than being able to multitask and dont get me wrong I love being able to do that, this phone is just basic. I was able to do so much more with my 700P. Notifications were not there, forwarding of texting not there, taking video not there. Even non smart phones have those capabilities.

And yes Appz are what make the phone more interesting, it's the allure of being able to perform certain functions with certain appz.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out they have no "material" to advertise. No apps= no adverts, simple!!
    so phones are just mini app machines? that's the only reason people buy smartphones fail...
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    so phones are just mini app machines? that's the only reason people buy smartphones fail...
    Nope they're mini-laptops/PC's. Do you not install appz on your computer? I want to be able to take video, forward text, run the same appz I had on my 700P without having to resort to some "classic app" that may or may not run it. I for the love of God please some notifications.

Sure you can just as easily go to Ebay and or craigslist website on your browser but it's much easier and faster to run the app to parse the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post

These palm commercials instill wonder which is perfect for now. Palm simply can't afford to attack Apple or Blackberry from the front. Too many things are missing that limit it's appeal to hardcore casual users and hardcore business users.

But Palm can keep a low profile, lurk within strike distance, and, when things are perfect, catch it's opponents by the tail.
    Ok I can see that as a marketing strategy....During the introductory stage produce commercials that bring in the techie early adopters and the people looking for something new and different...lay down the seeds and get the phone out there in the wild but on more of a low-key underground level...work out the bugs with the phone and flesh out the app catalog....pull in another carrier or two...

then this Christmas hit the general public with the "real" ads that go after Apple and
    Blackberry!!!

they're doing it more like a campaign where it starts off abstract and gets more real as time goes on like the microsoft vista ads.....they started off very stupid with Bill Gates goofing off with Jerry Seinfeld....but then they got super serious with the "laptop hunter" ads which point out the price differences between PC and Apple....

I guess thats why these marketing fools go to college lol!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Nope they're mini-laptops/PC's. Do you not install appz on your computer? I want to be able to take video, forward text, run the same appz I had on my 700P without having to resort to some "classic app" that may or may not run it. I for the love of God please some notifications.

Sure you can just as easily go to Ebay and or craigslist website on your browser but it's much easier and faster to run the app to parse the data.
    Lets all throw our Pre's away people! it's doesn't have apps!!!!
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

it's been out for barely a month and can only do the following:
    It makes calls, has a sync-able calender, synergy, a full browser, a music player, 30 apps, tasks, memos, maps, navigation, a camera, picture viewer, sms, mms, plays videos, plays music, sprint tv, alarm clock, calculator, aim,google talk

Wow, the pre sucks...
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It makes calls, has a sync-able calender, synergy, a full browser, a music player, 30 apps, tasks, memos, maps, navigation, a camera, picture viewer, sms, mms, plays videos, plays music, sprint tv, alarm clock, calculator, aim,google talk

Wow, the pre sucks...
    He did say that the phone was basic. The phone sucks b/c it is basic and has no apps? I lost Leke at appz.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wow, the pre sucks...
    You have mentioned nothing new other than synergy, and MMS. Whoa!! Lets all throw a party now!!

For many people certain appz are important. the 30 they have currently is not really cutting it. I can be patient and wait a bit longer granted the phone has been out a month. BUT Palm did have iPhone G1 and BB as a platform to have been able to crank out plenty more appz than that.

My theory is that they are relying more on homebrew apps to satisfy us users, IE the "supposed" SDK leak was not a leak at all, but a clever plan to get the appz developed.
    You have mentioned nothing new other than synergy, and MMS. Whoa!! Lets all throw a party now!!
    Palm is marketing to the masses, not us. We might take the browser for granted for example. The mainstream only knows the iphone's browser looks fantastic because they show it off. They've no clue the Pre has a similar one.

So i think Palm does need to show the browser. But they can do it in a way that shows multitasking off as well like having Pandora playing in the background.

The integrated messenging app? Show it off. That's huge. Tie in notifications.

There's any number of ways to do this without looking like Apple. But the Pre (webOS) is the star of the commercial.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    So you're saying that they've intentionally crappified their commercials for fear that too many people would want one? Interesting theory.
    This forum is filled with people 'in the know' and even we have people who need to exchange pre's often, have pre's that dont meet their perfect needs (but they are willing to wait until apps and updates flesh that out), and we have people who just up and return the phone.

Palm cannot afford tarnishing it's brand in mass. It cant afford the phone not being a success. The pre is selling out everywhere, which is a good problem to have; when the wii was selling everywhere, I only saw commercials for the ps3 and 360.

No where did I state or imply that lower quality adds were being run for fear of demand that is too high. But if shipments arent even in order, and there are some qc issues, and some growing pains with the OS, why full throttle the add campaign right now?

Btw, cardfan is right I think in the commercials we will begin seeing as things ramp up. Supposedly, with the woman from the first commercial set demonstrating features that set the phone apart from the competition.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast