Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm thinking of getting the Pre. I read the posts and see the love/not so love relationship with the phone. I'm worried about the slider and the screen concerns. I also see that there might be reception issues. I don't want to offend anybody, but can someone give me their thoughts? If I have problems with the slider, do I have to to go through Sprint insurance to get it fixed? Is there a better batch of Pres? Thanks
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    You have 30 days where you should be able to exchange it without hassle. Also it has a 1 year warranty that comes into play for defects.

I don't think it has been found there is one batch better than another, kind of luck of the draw. I can tell you I have a launch day pre built in May and my gf just purchased a pre with a build date of 6/24 and neither have had any issues with hardware, screens are fine and sliders work great.

When I first got it I was worried it would be delicate but I've found it to be pretty solid. Granted I've only owned it for a month, but that is my experience.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    When I went to the Sprint store, they said that if the screen cracks within the 30 days, if I don't have insurance I have to pay for the repair. I can't just return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    When I went to the Sprint store, they said that if the screen cracks within the 30 days, if I don't have insurance I have to pay for the repair. I can't just return it.
    Well yeah, you didn't mention if you were to damage it. The exchange option is only for manufacturer defects.

If you cause damage to the phone yourself then only option is insurance of some sort.
    Although I am among the minority that received defective units on launch day (my issue had to do with resets, and all three I have now had in my possession worked fine with regard to the slider and screen), overall I think you will be very happy with the Pre (although you may miss some older PalmOS/Treo features if you owned one of those devices; hopefully those featured will be added by Palm and/or third parties). Plus, as was mentioned earlier, you have 30 days to return it if you don't like it or if there are any manufacturer's defects. FWIW, I have owned Palm devices pretty much since they debuted in the mid-90's and I have NEVER had any significant issues before the Pre. Experience leads me to believe they simply had some bad units in the early shipments. Not good, but it does happen.

My recommendation? Go for it.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    (Knock on wood)

I personally don't think the Pre is as delicate as some of the posts would seem to imply. No doubt there is a percentage of defective ones out there, but I think that number is small. My hunch is that some of those who are having problems (and my heart does go out to them) are simply louder than most of those who aren't, which is understandable. One of the timeless axioms of word-of-mouth advertising is that while a happy customer will tell a few people, an unhappy one will tell EVERYONE.

For what it's worth, I got my Pre on day one (camped out at Best Buy in the wee hours, the morning of June 6), and I've had no hardware troubles to speak of. I even managed one day to slam it pretty hard into a couple of machines at the gym, and then into the floor, and it came out completely unscathed. I don't know if the Pre really is that tough, or if the stars just happened to be aligned exactly right that day, and I don't want to find out. But evidence suggests it doesn't need to be babied.

My slider does do the Oreo twist thing a little bit, but so do all the floor units at both Sprint stores in my area, so I just assume it's normal. It's nothing to make me feel like the mechanism might break. The amount of play hasn't increased at all.

Actually, I should probably mention that I do have one relatively minor hardware issue. I can see some light-bleed around the edges, where the screen internally meets the housing. It started out as two little dots of light at the lower corners on the first day, and grew to defined lines around the perimeter within a few days after that. It's noticeable in a dark room, but almost impossible to see in a brightly lit room, so when I took the Pre into the Sprint store, they couldn't figure out what I was talking about.

The young kid behind the counter proceeded to tell me that if the touch screen were defective, I'd need to file an insurance claim. Obviously, that makes no sense at all. A defect is a warranty issue, not an insurance issue. But there was quite obviously no reasoning to be had with this pimple-faced manchild, so I left the store, and decided that if the light-bleed gets bad enough to really be a problem, I'll seek a warranty replacement through Palm. Sprint's customer service, I'm sorry to say, can be more than a bit idiotic at times.

The good news is the lines haven't gotten any bigger since those first few days. I don't think the screen is actually defective or loose. I think the paint on the underside of the clear chassis (assuming it is paint) just shrunk a little after curing. I'm keeping an eye on it, but so far, it doesn't seem worth the hassle of replacing the device.

My advice, if you think the Pre might be for you, is to go ahead and give it a whirl. You can always return it within 30 days if you don't like it. Minor headaches aside, I really love mine. I'd never go back to my Treo after experiencing the Pre.
    I got mine on launch day and it has been great. I was also a bit worried about the build quality since we seem to so easily equate weight with quality. I have found it to be solid. The keyboard takes a little getting used to, as does ANY change in keyboard. I switched from an ATT Tilt. I can't speak to Sprint/insurance issues, as I'm a brand new Sprint customer, but I have had no complaints with the slider.
    If you are concerned about Sprint coverage you might explore that a little further. Have you looked at coverage maps online and such? Do you know other people in your area that have Sprint? That was my biggest concern, but I have been quite pleased with my coverage so far.
    The operating system is just amazing - I could rave all day about it.
    Sadly, my lovely pre does have the wonky slider. However, the device itself works great. My local Sprint Corporate store was and is fine with me exchanging the phone within the first 30 days. So, I will wait till I am near the end of my 30 day purchase window and stop by to see if there are devices sans the wobble.

THAT said, if there are not any pres without the wobble I am not sure what I will do. I may opt to return my pre at that point and revert to my old phone and retry the pre in a few weeks.

For the most part, I am really sold on this device. I LOVE my pre. It meets all of my daily work needs. And I haven't had the signal issues that some others have experienced. I haven't had one dropped call and if it wasn't for the slider's wobble, I would boast that I have a perfect device.

Oh, and one bit of advice: I wouldn't let someone else's experience with the pre get in the way of my owning one. Get one and you will see why so many of us love this device
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Is there a way to " boost" the reception of the phone? Does it automatically go into " roaming" to get better reception or is that something I need to set on the phone? Has anyone ever had there phone seperate?
    The default setting for roaming is "automatic".....the other option is "sprint only" and something else i think...

but try the phone out for the 30 days to test out the reception in your area...
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Well yeah, you didn't mention if you were to damage it. The exchange option is only for manufacturer defects.

If you cause damage to the phone yourself then only option is insurance of some sort.
    The problem with this is two-fold: It seems many of the screens that cracked did so because of a manufacturer's defect. Sprint / Palm replaced some of them, but forced others to use their TEP.

And once you use your TEP, Sprint will no longer honor the 30 day return, because you're not returning the phone you bought.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Welllll I DID IT ! I got one today. Theres a little play but real cool. Now if you guys can give me tips and tricks then I can REALLY open her up.
    Awesome, congrats. The forums here are full of info. Hopefully within a few more weeks we'll have a more organized forum with less NEW THREADS REPEATING THE SAME STUFF! :-)
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm on my 5th Pre (LOTS of defects in the first 4, ranging from yellowish screen blotches that wouldn't go away, chip in the screen out-of-box, dead pixel and bubble under the screen, etc.) but i have to say the 5th one is the charm.

At least from my experience they seem to have steadily improved on build quality since i picked up my first one on launch day. The initial problems were with yellowish blotches, but those disappeared by the 3rd Pre, and the hardware screen imperfections (chips, bubbles) have also disappeared for my 5th and hopefully final Pre.

They're getting it right which is impressive considering the phone has only been out for a month. I would just check the serial number to see when it was made and make sure it was manufactured later than July 1st if you can.

Also, i'm pretty picky about my phone (i was first in line and paid full out-of-contract price for it) so it's not like i'm an easy person to please when it comes to my phone. A lot of people on here are the same, so i wouldn't fret too much about it when you buy it.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    How do I check when my phone was made?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    enter ##786# then scroll down to warr. date
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    Welllll I DID IT ! I got one today. Theres a little play but real cool. Now if you guys can give me tips and tricks then I can REALLY open her up.
    Palm Pre Tips & Tricks
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    post deleted
    Last edited by roor; 07/08/2009 at 08:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Mine says warr date 7/1/09 IZ DAT GUD?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast