Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this on G4 Attack of the Show.

They mentioned that Pandora agreed to terms on royalty, but also mentioned that free usage will now be capped at i think they said 40 Hours a month

They said if u want unlimited u have to subscribe to the premium service

Plus they had a Pre in the video for Pandora
    Not surprised. They almost shut down not too long ago. THey need ot make more money then they are currently doing.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I think Pandora has a great service and I'd be willing to spend a little for a subscription. Especially considering I listen to it every day without commercial interruptions.
    I thought that they were looking at putting in audio advertisements. One way or another, they have to make some money.
    Not a problem either way. A few ads or a subscription is the least one can pay for such a nice service.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Love the service but I don't think I'd want to pay for it. I could deal with a commercil every few songs. Service is pricey as it is. Don't need to be adding even more costs.
    If they do this they better let me skip more than 6 songs per hour. My understanding was that I was putting up with this limitation to force me to listen to new music that I might eventually like and use their gateway to purchase somewhere.

If they limit total time or add advertisements or require a subscription fee, they better remove that limitation. Also, stop playing trance when I asked for techno or hard house.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Just saw this on G4 Attack of the Show.

They mentioned that Pandora agreed to terms on royalty, but also mentioned that free usage will now be capped at i think they said 40 Hours a month

They said if u want unlimited u have to subscribe to the premium service

Plus they had a Pre in the video for Pandora
    I think you will all be able to handle the 99 cent fee for overage if you don't want to subscribe.

This was actually a GOOD thing, otherwise they might have had to close.

The revised royalty rates, however, are "quite high" and will force Pandora to make some adjustments, he said. Users will now be limited to 40 hours of free listening per month. Those who go over 40 hours will be given the option to receive unlimited access for the remainder of the month for 99 cents. They can also upgrade to the subscription-based Pandora One.

"In essence, we're asking our heaviest users to put a dollar (well, almost a dollar) in the tip jar in any month in which they listen over 40 hours. We hope this is relatively painless and affordable--the same price as a single song download," Westergren wrote.
    Internet Radio Reaches Deal on Royalty Rates - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    If they do this they better let me skip more than 6 songs per hour. My understanding was that I was putting up with this limitation to force me to listen to new music that I might eventually like and use their gateway to purchase somewhere.

If they limit total time or add advertisements or require a subscription fee, they better remove that limitation. Also, stop playing trance when I asked for techno or hard house.
    That limitation was placed on by the record companies.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    .99 cents is more than fair. I think i'm going to pay for the Pandora One service even though i don't come close to the 40 hours per month.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    $12/year for Pandora unlimited? Absolutely, I'm all over it. If they had added commercials I'd be done with it.
    $12 a year is cheap as hell. Does anyone know at what bitrate the music on Pandora is broadcasted at?
    I don't even see where you can subscribe to anything on the site. Is there a different site than Pandora.com?

Edit: See it under Account. But it is listed at $36 per year. They certainly don't advertise it on the site well.
    $36 a year is for commercial free unlimited listening. $12 is the commercial supported version if you go over 40 hours a month. ($0.99 extra each month you go over).
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    And I just tried it for the first time today. Doubt Ill ever hit over 40 hours/mo though.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    And on an unrelated yet important note, I think the FCC and infinitely wise elected officials should aim their laser beam of justice™ at the Music Industry, instead of dicking around with cellphone exclusivity issues.
    Still dirt cheap and if prevents them from closing, then go for it. Glad they found a compromise.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I love Pandora but I'm not willing to pay $12 a year for commercial radio.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    eh... I listen to Pandora about max 30 minutes to 1 hour a day.
    I guess the cap, unless it's lower than 40 hours/month, isn't bad.
    I may be in the minority but i don't see the need to pay for internet radio like Pandora when there are more where Pandora came from. Sure it's nice to play a particular type of music or artist but when there are literally thousands of free internet radio stations all over tuned.mobi or shoutcast or AOL radio, why go for a paid service?

Me personally i get by fine with the dozens of stations i have bookmarked from shoutcast and streamcenter, plus i even have an app that streams my music library from my PC at home over the interwebzz to my Treo Pro.

Now, even at 40 hours, i'm fine with it. The few times i use Pandora a week would see to that. Of late i've been hearing the same songs over and over again that i use it less now.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast