Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To shane112358,

You get hardhouse, trance is considered techno. Maybe not where your from, but in most places in the world refer to house/trance/progressive under the 'techno' general genre. You can be more specific... Like 'breakbeat' or 'jungle'. Works fine.

It would be funny for me to say 'rock' and wonder why steve miller and pearl jam are being played. Grunge rock would be more along the lines for my pearl jam.
    $12 isnt bad.
    But I have a Zune, mp3 on the Pre and sprint radio.
    40 hrs on Pandora, I dont think i will hit that limit
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I would like an online feature that tracks / monitors your usage if they decide to implement a limit. I would think that would only be fair. IMO.
    Got an email about it as I do go over the 40 hours because I'm streaming it all day at work. In the email they said that only 10% of users ever go over 40 a month. So it should be business as usual for 90% of users. For $12 a year, its well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    I would like an online feature that tracks / monitors your usage if they decide to implement a limit. I would think that would only be fair. IMO.
    They will have that or so my email said. It should be coming soon.
    Meh, I'll stick to my Napster account, thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I may be in the minority but i don't see the need to pay for internet radio like Pandora when there are more where Pandora came from. Sure it's nice to play a particular type of music or artist but when there are literally thousands of free internet radio stations all over tuned.mobi or shoutcast or AOL radio, why go for a paid service?

Me personally i get by fine with the dozens of stations i have bookmarked from shoutcast and streamcenter, plus i even have an app that streams my music library from my PC at home over the interwebzz to my Treo Pro.

Now, even at 40 hours, i'm fine with it. The few times i use Pandora a week would see to that. Of late i've been hearing the same songs over and over again that i use it less now.
    I think the issue facing pandora is something that the entire industry has to deal with...What I want to know is why is Radio exempt?
    Online Radio Stations Strike Royalties Deal With Music Labels
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Have I missed Ads on the Pandora for Pre or are these set to start?
    I wouldn't mind paying for Pandora, as long as in exchange, I get to skip as many songs as I want, whenever I want. As much as I do enjoy the service, I absolutely hate it when it tells me I've skipped too many songs, so I either have to listen to the current piece of crap that has absolutely no business being "related" to the title of my channel, or else I have to switch to a different channel, and wait for the same thing to happen again. If paying means I can have more control, I'll pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    To shane112358,

You get hardhouse, trance is considered techno. Maybe not where your from, but in most places in the world refer to house/trance/progressive under the 'techno' general genre. You can be more specific... Like 'breakbeat' or 'jungle'. Works fine.

It would be funny for me to say 'rock' and wonder why steve miller and pearl jam are being played. Grunge rock would be more along the lines for my pearl jam.
    sorry to threadjack, but I disagree. If you go to a club in detroit, LA, NY, Denver, Houston, Miami, Germany, Tokyo, Seoul...and they are playing trance, and you say "hey this is great techno music!" you will get anyone not too busy spinning glowsticks to stand up and say WTF. The opinion that all electronic music is techno is only perpetuated by people who don't really listen much or appreciate the genre. Electronic music is to techno as rock is to grunge. Trance is a whole different branch, like metal is to rock. Sorry for the rant!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I may be in the minority but i don't see the need to pay for internet radio like Pandora when there are more where Pandora came from. Sure it's nice to play a particular type of music or artist but when there are literally thousands of free internet radio stations all over tuned.mobi or shoutcast or AOL radio, why go for a paid service?

Me personally i get by fine with the dozens of stations i have bookmarked from shoutcast and streamcenter, plus i even have an app that streams my music library from my PC at home over the interwebzz to my Treo Pro.

Now, even at 40 hours, i'm fine with it. The few times i use Pandora a week would see to that. Of late i've been hearing the same songs over and over again that i use it less now.
    THose stations will be affected sooner or later as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    If they do this they better let me skip more than 6 songs per hour. My understanding was that I was putting up with this limitation to force me to listen to new music that I might eventually like and use their gateway to purchase somewhere.
    They don't have a choice about the 6 songs per hour, it is mandated by your friendly music industry (via congress?).
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    sorry to threadjack, but I disagree. If you go to a club in detroit, LA, NY, Denver, Houston, Miami, Germany, Tokyo, Seoul...and they are playing trance, and you say "hey this is great techno music!" you will get anyone not too busy spinning glowsticks to stand up and say WTF. The opinion that all electronic music is techno is only perpetuated by people who don't really listen much or appreciate the genre. Electronic music is to techno as rock is to grunge. Trance is a whole different branch, like metal is to rock. Sorry for the rant!

QFT
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    And on an unrelated yet important note, I think the FCC and infinitely wise elected officials should aim their laser beam of justice™ at the Music Industry, instead of dicking around with cellphone exclusivity issues.
    How about doing both.
    I got an email about this today at work...

Hi, it’s Tim -

I hope this email finds you enjoying a great summer filled with music from Pandora.

I’m writing with some important news. Please forgive the lengthy email; it requires some explaining.

First, I want to let you know that we’ve reached a resolution to the calamitous Internet radio royalty ruling of 2007. After more than two precarious years, we are finally on safe ground with a long-term agreement for survivable royalty rates – thanks to the extraordinary efforts of our listeners who voiced an absolute avalanche of support for us on Capitol Hill. We are deeply thankful.

While we did the best we could to lower the rates, we are going to have to make an adjustment that will affect about 10% of our users who are our heaviest listeners. Specifically, we are going to begin limiting listening to 40 hours per month on the web. Because we have to pay royalty fees per song and per listener, it makes very heavy listeners hard to support on advertising alone. Most listeners will never hit this cap, but it seems that you might.

We hate the idea of capping anyone's usage, so we've been working to devise an alternative for listeners like you. We've come up with two solutions and we hope that one of them will work for you:

Your first option is to continue listening just as you have been and, if and when you reach the 40 hour limit in a given month, to pay $0.99 for an unlimited number of hours for the rest of that month. This isn't a subscription. We'll charge your credit card for just that one month and you'll be able to keep listening as much as you'd like for the remainder of the month. We hope this is relatively painless and affordable - the same price as a single song download.

Your second option is to upgrade to our premium version called Pandora One. Pandora One costs $36 per year. In addition to unlimited monthly listening and no advertising, Pandora One offers very high quality 192 Kbps streams, an elegant desktop application that eliminates the need for a browser, personalized skins for the Pandora player, and a number of other features: Pandora One.

If neither of these options works for you, I hope you'll keep listening to the free version - 40 hours each month will go a long way, especially if you're really careful about hitting pause when you’re not listening. We’ll be sure to let you know if you start getting close to the limit, and we’ve created a counter you can access to see how many hours you’ve already used each month.

We’ll be implementing this change starting this month (July), I’d welcome your feedback and suggestions. The combination of our usage patterns and the "per song per listener" royalty cost creates a financial reality that we can't ignore...but we very much want you to continue listening for years to come.

Please don't hesitate to email me back with your thoughts.

Sincerely,
    tim_signature.jpg

Tim
    Founder

I listen to it work around 6 hours a day, so my 40 hours will be gone quick. I know its not expensive, but Slacker radio is still free....
  16.    #36  
    Did not realize it was only a buck a month.

Not greedy at all.

If u are using something more then 40 times a month u can pay about 2.5 cents per each hour u use it, not bad at all
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkofalltrades View Post
    $12 a year is cheap as hell. Does anyone know at what bitrate the music on Pandora is broadcasted at?
    192kbps for subscribers.

I listened to 20 hours between today and yesterday .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'd pay for many things instead of dealing with ads and tracking. Unfortunately, scores of cheapskates dictate the terms.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    i dont really mind the ads i get now. wish pandora had a broader selection of music within the same genres. Sometimes the same song plays within an hour or two
    I wish they had a 320Kbs stream but 192 is definitely worth paying for if you can use it everywhere. I think 36 bucks a month is more than reasonable, yeah there are lots of free internet radio stations but the damn commercials suck, plus the radio stations it picks i find are quite good.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast