1.    #1  
    I know that is has been said before that to insert a hard pause into a number, put in a "p" for a hard pause, or put in a "t" for a quick pause.

But if you don't want to open up the keyboard to add in your pause, i found a way to do this right on the touchscreen dialer. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, so I apologize if this is a repeat tip

It is accomplished by pressing and holding the # or * keys. Press and Hold * and the * turns into a t... Press and Hold # and the # turns into a p!

Simple enough!
    I never understood what a hard pause is or what it's used for. Could someone please explain? Thanks.
    at my work we use these pauses to input our account number directly when calling to a third party. for example, in our clinic, we use a third party translating service for our non-english speaking patients. when we call in, they ask for our 15 digit account number no one in our office knows so it is programmed into the phone to dial the account number after it dials the phone number. However, since there is a period where a greeting comes on, we put in a hard pause so that it delays enough for the account number to be transmitted. hope that made sense as it is somewhat confusing to explain.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rajun asian View Post
    I never understood what a hard pause is or what it's used for. Could someone please explain? Thanks.
    On my treo 650, there was an option for this in setting up speed dials. I used it for voicemail: [the voicemail number] [pause] [the passcode] this saved me having to enter the passcode each time I checked VM. I've been too lazy to see if this can be done on the Pre. Anyone?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkat View Post
    I've been too lazy to see if this can be done on the Pre. Anyone?
    You just set it directly in the contact phone number, and then set a speed dial entry for it. So I have my number set as 123-456-7890p99999 where 123-456-7890 is the number and 99999 is the pin. So, I set that contact to a speed dial key of V (for voicemail), so when i press and hold V (or 9 in the dialer), the first set of numbers dials, then there is an on-screen button to dial the rest of the numbers when you are ready. You can also use the "t" to just used a timed delay, but I like waiting to punch it in.

make sense?
    Yeah I've been meaning to research how to program additional digits but have been too busy. Thanks for the tip OP. Now I can program my FREE voicemail retrieval!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rajun asian View Post
    I believe a HARD pause waits for you to press the keypad before the rest of a number string is sent, and a SOFT pause pauses the number string for a pre-determined length of time (1 second, 3 seconds, whatever) and then proceeds to send the rest of the number string.

Correct?
    ^correct.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    This is a great tip and a must for many users. The first place I saw it was about a month ago:
    how to insert time/hard pause in phone number

does anyone know how to insert hard pause in phone number ?
    Issue solved:
    Enter "t" for a Timed Pause in a dial string.
    Enter "p" for a Hard Pause in a dial string. Touch the remainder of...

This is now on page 2 of the Tips and Tricks:

Phone
    ►Make a Call - Tap Phone from the Quick Launch bar. (p. 24)
    ---► Insert a Pause - Enter "p" for a pause in a dial string.
    ---► Timed Pause - Enter "t" to insert a Timed Pause in a dial string.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks to all, this is awesome. to access my home voice mail I have to call a 10 digit number, then dial my home phone number, then my pin. This works perfectly, now I just hit one button and bingo, I'm in. Can't thank you enough!!!