Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Went to walmart to exchange my pre. I had a few stuck pixels that are just getting annoying. I'm paying this money... I want my phone to be perfect.

I ended up going through 4 pres at walmart hoping to find one that was better. First had more stuck pixels than the one I have. Second had the oreo twist real bad. Third .. The slider stuck. I'd never heard that on these phones, but annoying. The fourth hadn't any stuck pixels that I noticed, but had the same oreo effect and a big gap between the slider.

Is QC really this bad or do they just hope people won't care because its a great phone? I love the phone. This just seems like horrible qc. I'm just not sure if I want to exchange it now.

Cliff notes... Went through 4 pres hoping to find a better one. QC is horrible.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Yes, you're being too anal. I wouldn't tolerate any stuck pixels, but the oreo effects and gap issues are inevitable. Over time you'll be victim to those problems. It's simple wear and tear.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    This is my first "slider" device, and I'm being as careful as I can with it without being outright gentle. So far, mine has held up quite well. Can I get some oreo twist? Maybe, but I don't do it intentionally. Is my slider loose? Not at all; still quite firm and springy. Keys are great, no dead pixels, and no bleeding light. Overall, it's been about what I expected from a slider. I never expected it to be as sturdy as any of my previous single-piece phones or an iPhone. The nature of the beast prohibits it from being so.

QC seems to be an issue, but I have owned only 1 Pre, and it's been quite impressive.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    We bought 3 Pres on launch day. We went through a total of 7 until we got 3 which are satisfactory. One of these 3 may yet go back, forcing us to try 8 devices.

QC is non-existent.

Brett

P.S. - In no specific order, problems included:

A large bubble under the screen
    A large discolored section on a corner of a screen
    An even larger discolored section...
    A device which could not charge a battery past %95
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I also had the sprint store call me today to say my replacement was in (for oreo problem) and the new one was worse...

I don't think the oreo problem actually will get worse than when it's made. if you take the battery out, you'll see where the sliders and rails meet at the bottom and I think it's just a manufacturing tolerance issue, not a wear n' tear issue.

-tim
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    The Pre is a poorly made device--it doesn't seem like Palm did any quality control.

Are you being picky? No. You paid for a device that works--not one with dead pixels and sliders that don't slide properly.
    Oh, I should have said in my original post pretty much what Zelgo said. We are paying top-dollar for these devices, and they should provide top-quality. Mine has done so for me, but if yours hasn't, then you should not be happy until you get a device that satisfies you. Our money doesn't grow on trees, and Palm should be more concerned with quality than they seem to have been so far.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    My latest handsets' build quality is perfect. No gap, no Oreo, all buttons align beautifully. Now if it weren't for the blotches on the bottom of the screen I wouldn't be exchanging it for the 5th time tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcalvi01 View Post
    My latest handsets' build quality is perfect. No gap, no Oreo, all buttons align beautifully. Now if it weren't for the blotches on the bottom of the screen I wouldn't be exchanging it for the 5th
    time tonight.
    Now you are being too picky. I have blotches too, but they go away after the phone cools down. I also have a couple stuck pixels, but I've learned to live with it. I don't see the problem with people who have serious QC issues exchanging their phone, but Sprint should clamp down on some of these exchanges with relatively minor issues.
    Last edited by smithwicks; 07/07/2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Now you are being too picky. I have blotches too, but they go away after the phone cools down. I also have a couple stuck pixels, but I've learned to live with it. I don't see the problem with people who have serious QC issues on their phone, but Sprint should clamp down on some of these exchanges with relatively minor issues.
    You're totally correct. I mean, when I buy a car, I'm the same way. If one door doesn't close all the way, that's minor. Or if a little water leaks in the windshield, it's all good, cuz at least the engine works, right?

I'm sorry, but when else would you pay $300 for something and allow for that much leniency. I don't think it's ridiculous to expect a top quality product, 1.0 or not, for the amount of money we pay out.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I'm glad I got mine on launch day. If I had read all these "poor build" posts beforehand, I'm sure I could've inspected it to death at the counter and found something wrong with it. Not to doubt there are definitely issues out there that warrant returns, but I have no problem with mine (yes there's a slight gap between the slider) and honestly have not even done a "bad pixel test". Maybe since I haven't noticed any, there are none. I'm happy with mine.

Am I too lucky?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    QC seems to be an issue, but I have owned only 1 Pre, and it's been quite impressive.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by aolbites View Post
    You're totally correct. I mean, when I buy a car, I'm the same way. If one door doesn't close all the way, that's minor. Or if a little water leaks in the windshield, it's all good, cuz at least the engine works, right?

I'm sorry, but when else would you pay $300 for something and allow for that much leniency. I don't think it's ridiculous to expect a top quality product, 1.0 or not, for the amount of money we pay out.
    I guarantee you if you go outside and LOOK for a defect on your brand new car you can find one. Do you really think the paint is perfect? Did you inspect every inch of it before you took it home? Would you take it back and call it a piece of junk if it wasn't perfect?

Palm has definitely produced some devices with issues, but if you're looking to find them, and expect to find them, you're going to find them.
    This is sad. I have device that's working properly, but if they don't get this fixed (4 Pres in a row is crazy), it could really be a problem. Sorta like a well-designed GM car. Who cares if the manufacturing is crappy. All the cracks about Chinese toys may be coming back.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I guarantee you if you go outside and LOOK for a defect on your brand new car you can find one. Do you really think the paint is perfect? Did you inspect every inch of it before you took it home? Would you take it back and call it a piece of junk if it wasn't perfect?

Palm has definitely produced some devices with issues, but if you're looking to find them, and expect to find them, you're going to find them.
    What about those of us who "just notice" the problems? I didnt inspect the thing to death, and I can't figure out why people are bothered so much by the light at the bottom of the screen (until I came here, I didnt know that was a "problem" I just thought thats where their screen light was coming from).

But for some strange reason now, I can see my touchscreen grid in the background of my phone. I'm not talking about at steep angles, or in light, etc. I'm talking when I'm using the phone, the dots keep shower up. I called sprint and they said it was a defect. Tells me I need to do an exchange. Up until then I was happy, but now I need to exchange it. Or, if I get another Pre where I can see the grid...maybe then thats just how it is and I need to see if I can deal with it or not.

But, if Sprint CS is telling me (as I'm sure others) that some of these things are defects and we should exchange, then why shouldnt we?
    Exactly. Sprint's line is that my 2 issues (screen discoloration and sloppy slider) are known issues. But that they don't affect the function of the phone.

Yeah, I get that, but a door on a car that doesn't close all the way, doesn't affect the car driving, but it's not nice to look at. Or if my slider came all the way off, but still made phone calls. No functionality lost, but WTF, who wants to use a product like that. And I don't understand why a company like Sprint would be fine having crappy units in the hand of customers who sure as heck aren't going to be showing off their phone, or at the very least, won't be positive about it.

I'm tired of this "you should be happy, shut up" mentality. If I paid the same amount of money for a bike and the paint started peeling off and the wheel was wobbly, I could still ride it, but how does that reflect on the manufacturer. And how do I look, if I'm like "well, it works for the most part".
    Quote Originally Posted by K LoLo View Post
    What about those of us who "just notice" the problems? I didnt inspect the thing to death, and I can't figure out why people are bothered so much by the light at the bottom of the screen (until I came here, I didnt know that was a "problem" I just thought thats where their screen light was coming from).

But for some strange reason now, I can see my touchscreen grid in the background of my phone. I'm not talking about at steep angles, or in light, etc. I'm talking when I'm using the phone, the dots keep shower up. I called sprint and they said it was a defect. Tells me I need to do an exchange. Up until then I was happy, but now I need to exchange it. Or, if I get another Pre where I can see the grid...maybe then thats just how it is and I need to see if I can deal with it or not.

But, if Sprint CS is telling me (as I'm sure others) that some of these things are defects and we should exchange, then why shouldnt we?
    It wasn't meant as a blanket statement to cover all problems, just as perspective.

Neither...

"I paid $200 so it should be absolutely perfect"

...nor...

"Shut up and just be happy Palm sold you a phone"

...are both extreme, IMO.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 07/07/2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I don't begrudge anyone that has a problem with their Pre. They love their Pre's just as much as those who didn't find defects -- otherwise they would have returned them or exchanged them for other devices. But a new ANYTHING needs to be right in the eyes of the buyer -- people expect things to be right when they're buying something new, especially when it's not being sold by Wal-Mart or the "dollar" store. And folks are paying good money for the Pre -- forget the subsidized price, this a $549 phone (don't worry about paying $199 after rebate today, you'll pay the rest over the next 24 months!)

Don't feel bad for Palm and Sprint -- they took a calcuated risk by putting out a phone way too early (remember the story about the manufacturer hand-testing phones because time was running out ahead of the launch date?) and you can be sure they are not surprised by the quality issues. It's been the way of the tech sector for several years now: version 1.0 of any product is really a Beta and we're the Beta testers. In exchange for being the Beta testers, we get to say we got it "first" and we get to discover all the quirks and "hidden" features, and we also get to experience the problems that the Pre shoppers this Christmas won't get to "enjoy".

Bottom line is enjoy your Pre. If it was and still is "right" in your eyes, AWESOME! If not, maybe vent a little here and then go make it right -- exchange in 30 days, work with Palm on a warranty claim, or execrise the insurance (if you got it).
    Quote Originally Posted by dbgod View Post
    I don't begrudge anyone that has a problem with their Pre. They love their Pre's just as much as those who didn't find defects -- otherwise they would have returned them or exchanged them for other devices. But a new ANYTHING needs to be right in the eyes of the buyer -- people expect things to be right when they're buying something new, especially when it's not being sold by Wal-Mart or the "dollar" store. And folks are paying good money for the Pre -- forget the subsidized price, this a $549 phone (don't worry about paying $199 after rebate today, you'll pay the rest over the next 24 months!)

Don't feel bad for Palm and Sprint -- they took a calcuated risk by putting out a phone way too early (remember the story about the manufacturer hand-testing phones because time was running out ahead of the launch date?) and you can be sure they are not surprised by the quality issues. It's been the way of the tech sector for several years now: version 1.0 of any product is really a Beta and we're the Beta testers. In exchange for being the Beta testers, we get to say we got it "first" and we get to discover all the quirks and "hidden" features, and we also get to experience the problems that the Pre shoppers this Christmas won't get to "enjoy".

Bottom line is enjoy your Pre. If it was and still is "right" in your eyes, AWESOME! If not, maybe vent a little here and then go make it right -- exchange in 30 days, work with Palm on a warranty claim, or execrise the insurance (if you got it).
    I agree with a lot of that, but the title of the thread is "Am I to picky?", and I'm just sayng that in some instances the answer is yes, and maybe some of us are just as quick to consider everything a problem as others are to consider nothing a problem.

For example, (and I've mentioned it before) the guy on here that returned his Pre because he read all the dead pixel threads and exchanged his phone over what turned out to be one of the dots on the touchscreen grid. That's looking for (and finding) problems you don't actually have. I would imagine the "oreo cookie" slider phenomenon has caught up a number of people as well. Hell, it's a slider; my son's LG slider phone, which cost me just as much money, easily has more slop than my Pre. But nobody is looking for it, or exchanging it until we find one that's "perfect".

Or, for example, ever since I've enabled the advanced gestures I've been excited about swapping between applications with the swipe of a finger but have had a devil of a time distinguishing between the full swipe and the back gesture going right-to-left. I was good and ready to go up to the Bug List thread and add this problem I was experiencing to the list, when I realized just yesterday that the problem was where I was swiping, and not the phone or software. Would've known that if I had RTFM. And did I immediately consider this as a bug? Because I keep despite a generally optimistic demeanor, after spending time here on the forum I still keep expecting to have problems.

None yet. Knock wood.
    I've been incredibly disappointed with various aspects of the webOS software, but I have no complaints with the Pre's hardware. Maybe it's because I got mine from a Sprint store instead of a Wal-Mart, though I doubt that could have anything to do with it.

The slider seems pretty firm. I had to do some research on the web to see what people are talking about with the "Oreo effect", but it seems pretty minimal. I don't feel at all worried about opening or closing my Pre; it's got a pretty satisfying action.

Getting the USB cover off the first time was pretty frustrating, but since then, it's gotten easier with each try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai MacTane View Post
    Getting the USB cover off the first time was pretty frustrating, but since then, it's gotten easier with each try.
    The day I got my Pre, I sat at my desk for easily five minutes trying to get that cover open. Kept thinking I was doing it wrong and was going to break something on my shiney new phone. They should just ship it with the dang thing open.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast