Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It is currently active in Portland OR.

Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    4G is currently active in Baltimore - but is being rolled out in Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas,Fort Worth, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland, and Seattle by the end of the year.

HurricaneDC - I have read numerous posts, articles, etc on whether or not the Pre has WiMax radio. Most point to the FCC filing as the only evidence whether or not there is one there. One blogger I read (and I wish I could remember which one - but have gone through too many articles) brought up the point that as long as the radio is not turned on, it does not have to be yet approved, but can be filed under an FCC addendum before it is activated by a firmware update. Again, it is all speculation (unless someone at this point has taken one apart and verified what is and isn't there) - which is why I said take it for what you will.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I'm in Baltimore and yes the PRE has NO 4G .

Now I do agree it could be there but I don't see why Sprint would enable it or even build it in . This way like the IPhone they can launch the PRE4G a year from now and we all will rush out to get it.

We all know that Sprint reps for the most part try to give correct info but they need a better updated internal search engine for their reps to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Didn't we have this conversation 10 or so times about 3 months ago?

You guys might have had the conversation 3 months ago, but some of us just got our Pre's last week and have not follow PreCentral's Palm Pre thread. I was still following my Treo 650 thread in TreoCentral, old as it was.

If you said, didn't we have this conversation yesterday, your comment would have been warranted.

And the misleading TV AD was on last night! Not 3 months ago!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

Rob
    Amen. What's up with them bragging about the 4G network as they splatter a Pre on the screen? Any reasonable person would assume Pre can do 4G.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I live in Portland and my Pre definitely does not get 4G here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Actually, unless there is a different TV ad out there that I don't know about (I highly doubt there are any), then those ads were actually showing about 3 months ago.

If it is any of the 3 (I think there are only 3?) that at the end say the most dependable 3g network, bringing you the first available wireless 4g network. Then it fades into the Pre. Yeah. Those have been showing for awhile now.

Not saying that everyone doesn't deserve to talk about it, just that pointing out that those commercials have been on for awhile. But by all means, point me out to a different commercial and I would love to see it. (It is pretty sad when I genuinely get excited to see a commercial with the Pre on it)
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I don't know if Sprint's 4G is in Atlanta yet, but I got some junk mail saying that Clear's WiMax is here...
    There is a difference between being 4G-compatible and 4G-capable. If it's compatible, it means that it will run on a 4G network but not at 4G speed. If it's capable, that means it is a true 4G hardware phone, running with all the 4G bells and whistles. I'm sure that any 4G network will support slower speed phones, just like current 3G networks support slower 1X phones.

Does anyone know of a true 4G phone? In Portland, the 4G network is being marketed by Clear as a way to have high speed internet on portable computers with no wire attached. They make no mention of any kind of cell coverage or compatability with any vendor. They seem to be targeting the cable and DSL vendors right now.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    I don't know if Sprint's 4G is in Atlanta yet, but I got some junk mail saying that Clear's WiMax is here...
    It's Clear that's in Portland as well. If you look at the transmission sites (usually on telephone type poles) you'll see warnings posted that the transmission energy for that site exceedes FCC allowances for humans. Kind of interesting, isn't it?

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    I just finished a chat session with a Sprint rep. I am copying the relevant portion of the transcript. The rep researched the question on whether it is 4G compatible for a while before getting back to me:

2:31:17 PM CUSTOMER I have a couple of questions,

first, is the Palm Pre 4g compatible, and second, would I need a

separate plan to use a 4g/3g modem or can it be linked to my

existing simply everything plan?
    2:32:08 PM Jennifer F I will be happy to assist you

please allow me one moment to access your account./
    2:34:09 PM Jennifer F Thank you one moment please.
    2:36:49 PM Jennifer F The Phone as Modem is not

compatible with the Simply Everything Plan, apologize.
    2:37:25 PM Jennifer F I am checking on the 4G

compatibility.
    2:37:37 PM CUSTOMER Okay, thanks on the first answer
    2:39:34 PM Jennifer F Thank you for your patience, I

will have that information shortly.
    2:39:59 PM CUSTOMER Take your time
    2:44:20 PM Jennifer F The Palm pre is 4G compatible,

however in your zip code the 4g service in not available.

Take it for what you will, but Sprint keeps indicating it is a 4G device....
    there is no wi-max radio in the pre!! therefore it is NOT 4g capable.. don't believe everything a sprint rep tells you pal...

and yes those select cities have 4g but not on phones!!! it is only used for their data cards.... sorry to burst your bubble
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    It's Clear that's in Portland as well. If you look at the transmission sites (usually on telephone type poles) you'll see warnings posted that the transmission energy for that site exceedes FCC allowances for humans. Kind of interesting, isn't it?
    Ahh the cost of technology. I saw this awesome program on the history channel that talked about technology mistakes. 1 thing they brought up was irradiated water and water jugs that were sold in the early 1900's as a way of destroying toxins in the water.
    They estimated by the amount of people using it that it probally caused thousands of deaths due to radiation poisioning...also they used to have xray machines people could pay a penny for to show your feet through your shoes...no lead protection...just straight XRAY beams....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Yea, when I got my pre on launch day the sprint rep also told me:

ALL iPhone apps could easily be installed on the Pre, all I had to do was google it!

Clearly Sprint reps are both well informed and brilliant.
    Someone is lying here - either you or the "rep." iPhone apps running on the Pre? How is that possible when there are two different OS? I want to see proof of you running REAL iPhone apps on the Pre. According to you, how can .ipa's files be installed on a pre?
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    Someone is lying here - either you or the "rep." iPhone apps running on the Pre? How is that possible when there are two different OS? I want to see proof of you running REAL iPhone apps on the Pre. According to you, how can .ipa's files be installed on a pre?
    that clearly shows you how informed sprint reps are!!!!

iphone apps are made for the mobile OSX how the hell will that run on WebOS??? two different OS platforms dumb sprint rep!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    that clearly shows you how informed sprint reps are!!!!

iphone app are made for the mobile OSX how the hell will that run on WebOS??? two different OS platforms dumb sprint rep!!
    Exactly my point. Is like running a software made for MACs on a Windows PC.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Exactly my point. Is like running a software made for MACs on a Windows PC.
    lol... yeah no kidding!!
    You clearly don't understand sarcasm.
    I have never found good level 1 support for anything that had a base of larger than 5,000 or so. They just don't pay or train enough.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    There is a difference between being 4G-compatible and 4G-capable. If it's compatible, it means that it will run on a 4G network but not at 4G speed. If it's capable, that means it is a true 4G hardware phone, running with all the 4G bells and whistles. I'm sure that any 4G network will support slower speed phones, just like current 3G networks support slower 1X phones.

Does anyone know of a true 4G phone? In Portland, the 4G network is being marketed by Clear as a way to have high speed internet on portable computers with no wire attached. They make no mention of any kind of cell coverage or compatability with any vendor. They seem to be targeting the cable and DSL vendors right now.

HTC has announced a 4G phone, but it's going to Russia.

Sprint has announced, if I recall correctly, a quad-band phone for later this year or early next. I'm assuming an Android phone, maybe another HTC one. It being an Android would make the most sense given Sprint's and Google's mutual investment in Clear and Sprint's commitment to having an Android phone as part of the open handset alliance. This is the phone I used to be waiting for, until the Pre.

Other than that, there are netbooks and such that are WiMax ready. I think 2010 will be the year of the first 4G phones.
    People need to stop running on this forum when they have an echat session with a misinformed Sprint rep.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    mute the op for 3 weeks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast