Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So after being obsessed with this forum and reading every battery related thread I think i've figured it out. I myself am on my 3rd pre but my wife on her 1st. Her pre can go a fill day and be at 70% . After 4 hours of standby she might just drop to 90%. Frustrating when compared to mine drops like a brick. For example surfing this forum for 60 min on 5 bars evdo wifi and bt off I'm down to 66%. Standby for 4 hours i'll be down to 70% or so.

Now I've tested every scenario out there and this week we rented a vacation house that happens to get 5 bars. We haven't left in 3 days so its a good control of signal strength.

It has to be the number of contacts I have vs. Her. We both have facebook synced but I have 500 friends and she has 50. The other is I have exchange with 1,500 contacts where she has no email other than yahoo synced (as it arrives).
    I set my email to as it arrives and over 4th of july received only a dozen or so emails where I normally might get 200 during the week. There still the same battery drain with little email.

I think it has to be synergy and syncing the 2000 contacts I have.

Those that say they have awesome battery life how many contacts do you have?

Those that have bad battery life how many contacts do you have?

I'm gonna try to clean out my contacts and see if it helpsm
    Interesting analysis. I thought that the FB sync only happened every 24 hours, and Exchange contacts only update when a change is made?
  3. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My fiance has facebook and palm profile contacts and two email accounts as compared to my palm profile contacts only and one exchange account and I'm still sitting here with 70% battery whereas she's got 92%. On top of that, mine was on airplane mode for 2 hours this morning. Same amount of usage so far today between the both of us. I took the phone to Sprint yesterday (it was my 30th day) and after getting into an argument with them about push email being the best setting I received a new battery. It has been no help at all. I think I'll give it until the end of the week and then I'm calling palm support.
    Interesting theory. I've got a bunch of facebook contacts as well, though only 200ish, and my battery life sucked before I enabled cpu-scaling...
    Well, I have FB with over 300 contacts, and Google with about 200 contacts and sync to Google Mail, Yahoo, AOL. Pulled the phone off the touchstone at 6:30 AM and now 5 hours later (with some texting, email checking and some minimal browsing) I am down to about 91%. Not too bad, no?
    I don't think it's Facebook. I do not have mine connected to FB but my wife does (500+ contacts). We both have push Gmail. Niether of us are connected EAS. She uses her pre for a few calls a day and mostly texting (10 to 20 a day) and she's getting about 1-1/2 days from her battery.

I'm getting a solid 10-ish hours before 20% warning and I do double the amount of texting, surfing and running Tweed that she does. ...so it's not Gmail or FB.
    By george, I think I've got it!! Every poster on this thread basically says "my battery life is terrible, but my wife's is fine". Somehow that feminine touch is great for battery life!! Perhaps I should give my wife my Pre, take her old Samsung, and then just use the Pre on the sly and I should get great battery life on the Pre, right?
    I know that on WM devices EAS sucks the battery life out of them. I would not be surprised is this is the case with the Pre as well.

I get stellar battery life and I am a heavy user.
    My data points
    -BT, WiFi, and GPS are always on 24/7
    -1800 Contacts
    -9000+ Calendar events, 13 years
    -50 Facebook friends
    -NO EAS
    -I only use a Google Apps account

I think the battery problem is Exchange Active Stink!
    Last edited by rc46; 07/07/2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Turn off GPS, it's that easy. My battery life vastly improved when I turned off GPS but left location services on. Most of the location based apps only require what the phone provides without GPS which is about a 0.5mi radius. Fandango and Accuweather don't need to know my exact address, only my neighborhood. When I need GPS for navigation I'll flip it on real quick.

I believe when GPS is on it always tries to lock into a GPS signal draining battery. I noticed a huge difference turning off GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post
    Turn off GPS, it's that easy. My battery life vastly improved when I turned off GPS but left location services on. Most of the location based apps only require what the phone provides without GPS which is about a 0.5mi radius. Fandango and Accuweather don't need to know my exact address, only my neighborhood. When I need GPS for navigation I'll flip it on real quick.

I believe when GPS is on it always tries to lock into a GPS signal draining battery. I noticed a huge difference turning off GPS.
    I use cpu-scaling, and leave GPS on all the time. No issues, battery life is great, etc. GPS isn't a big drain compared to constantly running the phone at 500mhz when its capable of scaling down to 125mhz. Before I enabled cpu-scaling, I tried all the tricks that have been mentioned, none of them worked, it was like they were all snake-oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    By george, I think I've got it!! Every poster on this thread basically says "my battery life is terrible, but my wife's is fine".
    LOL...actually, I think that my battery life is great. My HTC Touch got much worse and had a far slower/less capable processor....I'm happy with what I've got.
    I have excellent battery life and I have 369 exchange contacts and about 800 facebook contacts and 200 aim contacts. How could the amount of data on the phone possibly affect battery life? I don't think it could honestly.

My guess is that you go to an area with weaker reception than your wife and that is the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I use cpu-scaling, and leave GPS on all the time. No issues, battery life is great, etc. GPS isn't a big drain compared to constantly running the phone at 500mhz when its capable of scaling down to 125mhz. Before I enabled cpu-scaling, I tried all the tricks that have been mentioned, none of them worked, it was like they were all snake-oil.
    How do you enable CPU-Scaling?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    The answer is not found in contacts. The answer is found in the fact that there are defective units out there. My phone was losing 10-12% every hour on idle - with or without exchange/facebook/google/etc. I took my phone back, got a replacement, and now I lose 2% per hour on idle with exchange/facebook/google/etc. all on my phone.

End of story - there DEFINITELY ARE defective units out there. The Sprint people told me the battery life was a known issue and nothing would change with my new phone. I told them I thought they were wrong, and they were.

If you have one of these phones that is losing 10-12% an hour no matter what you do, you need to take it back and get a replacement. Life is so much less frustrating with a phone that works properly.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Its the Exchange Activesync for sure.
    Microsoft "Push" technology on Exchange is a mechanism that allways checks connection with the Server so that there is a constant sognaling going on with intervals that vary based on the"Heartbeet" variant.
    this meens that even if you dont get emails you will still shorten the battery life.
    if you disble the exchange PUSH feature and set to manual sync or once an hour you will see that the battery life will be significantly better.
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
    Interesting analysis. I thought that the FB sync only happened every 24 hours, and Exchange contacts only update when a change is made?
    I have heard that FB drains Battery I keep my Pre profile seperate from my FB profiel and just log into FB from the Pres Browser i dont need my FB contacts in my Pre.
  17. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zhensley View Post
    The answer is not found in contacts. The answer is found in the fact that there are defective units out there. My phone was losing 10-12% every hour on idle - with or without exchange/facebook/google/etc. I took my phone back, got a replacement, and now I lose 2% per hour on idle with exchange/facebook/google/etc. all on my phone.

End of story - there DEFINITELY ARE defective units out there. The Sprint people told me the battery life was a known issue and nothing would change with my new phone. I told them I thought they were wrong, and they were.

If you have one of these phones that is losing 10-12% an hour no matter what you do, you need to take it back and get a replacement. Life is so much less frustrating with a phone that works properly.
    My Sprint store would not give me a new phone yesterday and now I'm past the 30 day window. Anyone have a good experience with Palm support?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post

I have to beg to disagree. It's not that simple. I have my GPS and location services off and I'm still not getting the battery life some have listed. I'm leaning toward the constant email syncing I'm seeing even though I've set all to manual. I plan to delete them tonight and run without email for a day to see what my battery life looks like. I haven't even synched FB yet, so that's not a factor for me.
  19. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My problem is that I have the exact same settings as my fiance's phone, if not more efficient ones with less email accounts, yet I still get 50% more battery usage, even on standby. I guess I'll have to count on Palm support helping me because Sprint's wasn't helpful at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    I have to beg to disagree. It's not that simple. I have my GPS and location services off and I'm still not getting the battery life some have listed. I'm leaning toward the constant email syncing I'm seeing even though I've set all to manual. I plan to delete them tonight and run without email for a day to see what my battery life looks like. I haven't even synched FB yet, so that's not a factor for me.
    FWIW...I have the following:
    • No FB sync
    • No EAS
    • Gmail Push - On
    • POP3 Email - every 30 minutes
    • Location / GPS - ON
    • Bluetooth Off
    • WiFi On
    • About 10 minutes of Calls
    • No web browsing yet today
    • Checked Tweed 6 times today

Battery @ 100% at 7:00AM