Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    All you folks (seems to be predominantly men, how curious) who are saying that your pre gets very different battery life from your spouses' phones - how about swapping batteries for a week to see if that makes a difference?

If there is wide variance in battery quality (as is appears from the posts), then it makes a good case for battery replacements from Sprint/Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by knodalyte View Post
    All you folks (seems to be predominantly men, how curious) who are saying that your pre gets very different battery life from your spouses' phones - how about swapping batteries for a week to see if that makes a difference?

If there is wide variance in battery quality (as is appears from the posts), then it makes a good case for battery replacements from Sprint/Palm.
    In my case I don't think the battery is the issue. Battery life is very good with a strong Sprint signal. Unfortunately, this phone doesn't handle a poor signal as well as phones I've had in the past, and it seems much more likely to have lower quality signals than phones I've had in the past. This should be something that can be fixed with an OS update though.
    Sorry, I have no facebook, and 23 gmail contacts. I get email as it arrives, which is about 30 per day, and 20-30 texts, and my battery is dead in 7 hours. I have turned off all GPS and location services, and turn off Bluetooth when not in use. The Pre battery just plain sucks.

Within 30 minutes of unplugging, it is at 94% after zero use.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
    Sorry, I have no facebook, and 23 gmail contacts. I get email as it arrives, which is about 30 per day, and 20-30 texts, and my battery is dead in 7 hours. I have turned off all GPS and location services, and turn off Bluetooth when not in use. The Pre battery just plain sucks.

How long have you had the Pre for? They seem to develop better battery life after longer usage (this morning I took the Pre off the touchstone at 9:20 and its 3 pm now and im at 74% with some texting, some light web browsing, and some update and email checking) Here in my lab I have full EVDO coverage. When i first got the phone, I would be to 74% within 2 hours with light usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    How long have you had the Pre for? They seem to develop better battery life after longer usage (this morning I took the Pre off the touchstone at 9:20 and its 3 pm now and im at 74% with some texting, some light web browsing, and some update and email checking) Here in my lab I have full EVDO coverage. When i first got the phone, I would be to 74% within 2 hours with light usage.

I have had it for a month. I take my phone off charge at 5:30am, and by noon I am getting 20% warnings, with very little use. Consider yourself lucky.
    I get about 12 hours of battery life and I am a fairly heavy user and almost always have the messaging app up. If happy because I would get about 4 hours of battery life with my touch pro and found myself turning off the TP to save battery.... What's the point of having a phone?

Anyway I'm very happy to get 9-12 hours.... Have you considered a bigger battery?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

Wow, I'm sorry. that's terrible. With the same amount of use, I'll get double what you're seeing. I do have wi-fi on most of the day, when I'm at work and home, but still. What's the signal like for you during the day? If it's fluctuating a lot, that would explain it.
    60 Facebook Friends
    57 contacts
    wifi off (when it's not available)
    GPS off
    auto locate off
    Yahoo email (check once/hr)
    Gmail (check once/24hr)
    Gmail Calendar
    No EAS
    moderate amount of texts. Few phone calls. Email checks every once in a while and I use wifi during lunch.

My battery does drain on standby and I also tend to get 8-10 hrs which I assume is ok life?

edit: was 100% just now when I took it off the charger. 3 incoming and 3 outgoing texts and now it's at 96% (within 10mins of being taken off charger).
    Last edited by Achill3s; 07/23/2009 at 03:00 PM.
    I have had it for a month. I take my phone off charge at 5:30am, and by noon I am getting 20% warnings, with very little use. Consider yourself lucky.
    Your experience is unusual. Most of us get much better results.
    I know some people have already mentioned CPU-scaling, which I'm assuming is some type of hack, but if Palm would include this in an update, it would help immensely.

Before the Pre, I was using a BB 8900, which was a great phone, but for the first three months the battery life sucked. I was lucky to get a full day of use from a full charge, and I was used to getting 2-3 days from my previous Blackberries. RIM release an OS update that included CPU-scaling and after installing, my battery life improved dramatically, and by dramatically I mean battery life doubled.
    I initially had poor battery life, until I realized that closing Messaging doesn't log you out of AIM. Once I started switching AIM off & using WiFi, I easily get a day with moderate use.
    My battery life greatly improved after I went into the Phone app Preferences and changed "Network" to "Sprint Only". I believe when set to "Automatic", the phone is constantly trying to find a better signal (or something) and burning through the battery (and the back of the phone).
  13.    #73  
    So of course gps, location is off. network set to sprint only. no IM. I've tried 3 different batteries.. all still the same.
    Post 1.1 update.. still bad.

today 12pm - 5pm, went from 100% to 20%! 80% drop in 5 hours.. yikes..

It has to be Exchange.. I know if I uninstall it, the battery works perfectly. but unfortunately I live off of email
  14.    #74  
    deleted exchange this morning, charged to 100%.. 1 hour of standby.. 100%.. this never happens. even after a 30 min call after that 95%. I normally would be down to 96% standby and in the 80% if i took a call.

it's definitely EAS exchange. Now is it email or calendar or contacts? I reduced contacts from 1500 to 500, no difference.

I do have a bug in my email where sending 2 pics, gets it stuck in the outbox and repeated sends, but that should be unrelated and I now know not to ever send 2 pics (I do hope they fix that bug).

it's EAS.. I live and die by exchange, email/calendar. so i guess it's 2 batteries and lots of touchstone until they figure this out.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Interesting, but I have around 400 Facebook friends and my battery sounds like your wifes.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by blankiek View Post
    Interesting, but I have around 400 Facebook friends and my battery sounds like your wifes.

Yes, my theory on number of contacts is no longer valid.. i've narrowed it down to purely having EAS exchange syncing.
  17.    #77  
    well the rest of the day didn't go great.. from 1pm it was at 85% and it's 10pm and about to die.. i'm gonna let it drain fully and full charge tomorrow.

since i didn't have exchange on there, no emailing for that 9 hours. about 5 text messages. read tweed a few times, and a few websites. no phone calls. probably a total of 45 min of useage. I have as a reminder airave at home, and surfing via wifi, so it shouldn't be a signal issue.

we'll see tomorrow from a 100% charge what happens.
  18.    #78  
    well the rest of the day didn't go great.. from 1pm it was at 85% and it's 10pm and about to die.. i'm gonna let it drain fully and full charge tomorrow.

since i didn't have exchange on there, no emailing for that 9 hours. about 5 text messages. read tweed a few times, and a few websites. no phone calls. probably a total of 45 min of useage. I have as a reminder airave at home, and surfing via wifi, so it shouldn't be a signal issue.

we'll see tomorrow from a 100% charge what happens.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    By george, I think I've got it!! Every poster on this thread basically says "my battery life is terrible, but my wife's is fine". Somehow that feminine touch is great for battery life!! Perhaps I should give my wife my Pre, take her old Samsung, and then just use the Pre on the sly and I should get great battery life on the Pre, right?
    ...and wondered if it's just us addicted geeks (I'm one of them) who love to USE the phone/internet/sync/insert-your-own-tech-term-here all day long draining the battery, vs the S.O. who uses it for a phone only, saves battery life, and they actually have a life. Maybe I should cease my enamored usage of tech gadgets and see what the real world has in store for me... Naaaaa, she doesn't know what she's missing!
    where do i go to delete the EAS, I dont use it. i cant seem to find it can someone help. sorry newbie Pre owner.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast