Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    You guys are trying to seek patterns in random data. Next we'll hear that always using your phone only in landscape mode improves the battery. Or spinning in circles while using it.

Read about fun experiments in superstitions here:
    B. F. Skinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Haha, exactly. All these battery posts have significant comedic value, although it's too bad they couldn't be merged into one thread to avoid the incessant clutter.

My favorite is when someone complains that they've been using hours of internet or music (or for the love of god, Pandora:music+internet) and get poor battery life.
  2.    #42  
    We are both on vacation at a house with 5 bars. So its definitely a good control. I'll charge both tonight and leave them on standby on the counter tomorrow and see what happens from 7am to noon without doing anything on either phone.

I think it's exchange and the # of contacts. EAS activesync must not be syncing just the differentials but maybe scrolling through all the contacts to find the diff's? Normally I would think it should just flag ones with changes and sync those.. Meaning if I didn't make a change to a contact or add or delete one, no data should change.

Anyway, i'm doing a full battery drain tonight on mine as well..

Boy I wish my battery would last half a day, let alone a full day.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post

I'm gonna try to clean out my contacts and see if it helpsm
    Why not just delete your Facebook setup on the Pre for a few days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    By george, I think I've got it!! Every poster on this thread basically says "my battery life is terrible, but my wife's is fine". Somehow that feminine touch is great for battery life!! Perhaps I should give my wife my Pre, take her old Samsung, and then just use the Pre on the sly and I should get great battery life on the Pre, right?
    Actually, don't these batteries drain faster when hotter? If so, a Pre carried in a pants pocket, as a male would carry it around, would drain much faster than a Pre carried around in a purse, where I would hope only a woman would carry it. Myself, I run very hot, and I notice when I'm out and about my battery drains very fast. I was out hiking the other day in 85 degree weather and had my Pre in my pants pocket. Started out at around 90 percent, and after about 2.5 hours of hiking phone was at 50 percent. Of course, I also uploaded a couple of Facebook photos while on the hike (Pre never went to roaming, I was quite impressed!).
  5.    #45  
    Ok.. so i finally decided to delete Exchange from my phone for the day.. (went thru email withdrawal).. and guess what?

11am-7pm.. 84%!!! OMG.. I used to drop almost 10% an hour..

So it's ABSOLUTELY Exchange sync. even when i had manual sync, it still drained.

I'm now in the process of removing as many contacts as possible and get it down into the hundreds and enabling exchange again.

So this has to be software.. which means an update can fix this. So I'm narrowing it down thinking # of contacts might be a culprit.

I'll let everyone know..
    If it is really to do with the number of contacts I'm in deep *****. I have 6800.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post
    Turn off GPS, it's that easy. My battery life vastly improved when I turned off GPS but left location services on. Most of the location based apps only require what the phone provides without GPS which is about a 0.5mi radius. Fandango and Accuweather don't need to know my exact address, only my neighborhood. When I need GPS for navigation I'll flip it on real quick.

I believe when GPS is on it always tries to lock into a GPS signal draining battery. I noticed a huge difference turning off GPS.
    GPS is never "always on." The only GPS setting on the phone basically prevents the actual GPS chip from being used when you OPEN a GPS-enabled application. In fact, there really isn't anything in the Location Services menu that will affect battery life, except the Google background services. Auto/GPS/Photos are ONLY used when you open an application that requests that information.

The basic GPS data that our phones have that is "always-on," is from the towers, and not 100% accurate--but pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I use cpu-scaling, and leave GPS on all the time. No issues, battery life is great, etc. GPS isn't a big drain compared to constantly running the phone at 500mhz when its capable of scaling down to 125mhz. Before I enabled cpu-scaling, I tried all the tricks that have been mentioned, none of them worked, it was like they were all snake-oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    FWIW...I have the following:
    • No FB sync
    • No EAS
    • Gmail Push - On
    • POP3 Email - every 30 minutes
    • Location / GPS - ON
    • Bluetooth Off
    • WiFi On
    • About 10 minutes of Calls
    • No web browsing yet today
    • Checked Tweed 6 times today

Battery @ 100% at 7:00AM
    Battery @ 90% at 11:30AM
    I don't get how people keep saying "Location/GPS: on" when you can't really disable the GPS--as it's already off unless you use it...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I feel I am getting very poor battery life.

Yesterday, after charging the phone all night, to 100%, I used Sprint Nav for about 15 minutes, checked emails, then went into the basement of a large building about 10:00 a.m. with pretty close to no signal. The phone seemed to be picking up occasional emails. By 3:30 pm, the phone was completely dead.

Note also that the air conditioning was turned up way too high, so the phone actually came in handy. As the Pre was extremely hot, it was able to keep me warm. Until it died.

This building was located on the North Side of Chicago. My office is in downtown Chicago, on Michigan Avenue, in a steel building. Though I'm only 30 feet from a window, reception is poor, bouncing all over the place from EVDO to 1x to Roam to nothing. There are situations where I sit at my desk, on the phone, and I move an inch to the left and the call drops. The phone runs hot and loses battery. So I keep it plugged in wherever possible.

In general the phone runs hot all the time. (Similar situation to my old Treo 755p - ran hot, lost battery power.)

It's a shame that Sprint can't provide a stronger signal in the parts of Chicago where I hang out. It's ridiculous to be in a large city and go on Roam half the time. At times, the signal shows wild fluctuations from five bars to no bars. (Happened on my Treo, also.)

As for the true cause of the problem I suspect everybody who thinks they have the answer is RIGHT. The phone is designed to do its work by staying in touch with the Internet, which means it's always talking to something, whether for emails, contacts, profile updates or whatever. But I'm guessing the Pre's reception and/or the quality of the network itself is the real culprit.

Oddly, I got a random call from Sprint the other day asking how I'm doing. I told them I love the Pre (I do!), but the reception is poor. The agent jumped on that quickly, apologized, and set Sprint was installing new towers and the signal should get better "tomorrow." (Unfortunately, I didn't see any tower construction crews in the neighborhood.)

My environment:

- Two gmail accounts, set to get messages as they arrive (email volume: average of 5 per hour, maybe fewer)
    - One POP3 account, set to check hourly
    - About 3,000 contacts in one of the gmail accounts, 40 in the other
    - Syncing to Facebook
    - Location services turned off, except when needed
    - Usually, no apps running, except I keep the All Inboxes card open all the time. Does this use up power?

- I do a fair amount of surfing, texting, gchatting, and yes, I actually use it as a phone, too, but only do these activities when I either have a good charge or know I'll be near my wall charger or car charger soon.

I am on my SECOND Pre. The first one had a non-functioning proximity sensor and they replaced it on the spot. The first one seemed to have the same battery issues, causing me to think it's a reception problem more than anything else.

I love this phone, just wish they'd figure out the battery problems. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to use the phone to fry eggs, keep a cup of tea warm or iron my shirts.
    Last edited by jlehrer; 07/13/2009 at 12:02 AM.
    I have to say that the battery life does suck... I have found however that after rooting and enabling the smart reflex and overclocking to 600 mhz, my battery will last almost a day and a half now with fairly intesive usage. If you search the forum for Smart Reflex, and follow the instructions in the wiki, works like a champ and the thing runs about 50% faster too... they should overclock the pre and they put it up against the iphone... mine killed anew 3gs on loads, and videos
    All I know is that I went from losing 10-12% per hour to 2% per hour and the only thing I did was turn off bluetooth. I'm sure some of you have tried this to no avail, but it worked wonders for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen2nd View Post
    All I know is that I went from losing 10-12% per hour to 2% per hour and the only thing I did was turn off bluetooth. I'm sure some of you have tried this to no avail, but it worked wonders for me.
    I agree - I had gotten into the habit of leaving BT on. When I turned it off, my battery life improved greatly.
    Last edited by Bujin; 07/13/2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    As suggested on other threads leaving the wi-fi turned on in conjunction with 3G leaves my device with good battery life.He may have a point with contacts and FB. I dont have FB, or EAS. I don't have that many contacts 100 at the most I believe. I do have push yahoo, gmail and hotmail.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    Depends on location. At home in my bedroom solid bars, in my living room all over the place, every now and then I drop in and out of roam. At work, no sprint coverage in the building, however, I drop in and out of Roaming constantly with the phone sitting in one place on my desk. I had this happen with the Instinct as well and complained over and over to sprint because my PPC never did it, but then I also had a roam only function on that device. They did send an update that seemed to fix the issue somewhat on the Instinct.

OT..kind of. Is it just me or are the devices getting worse in terms of reception. It seems like I get less reliability with each new device.
    I agree. My 700p maintained a rock solid connection in my office. I could stream mlb audio easily. My 755p spent a lot more time 1x and roam. I could stream mlb audio but i would have to restart it after a signal fade. My Pre is even worse than the 755p. I'd love to subscribe stream data to my phone at work, whether its pandora or the mlb app, but half the time i can't load a simple web page.
  14.    #54  
    well.. it's not contacts.. I deleted down to 500.. and still horrible battery. It's gotta be exchange.

this morning 7am - 8:45. I deleted 20 emails, (love the swipe). I browsed precentral, read 1 web page, sent 1 email, and read and sent 1 text message (all this in under 25 min, then went on an hour run). I came back on my run and at 8:45 I was at 81%!!

basically 25 minutes of use, and a little over an hour of standby. I have an airave in the house. But I forgot to turn on wifi.

Exchange has to be the culprit. As I mentioned earlier if I uninstall exchange, the battery is awesome. with it on.. horrible.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    For me turning off all of the settings in the Location Services menu did it. While some people in this thread claim the GPS isn't draining battery when not in use, I disagree. After turning the settings off my battery drained half as fast. I turned it back on and it drained quickly again! This is without using any location based programs.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I had a pretty good test of mine last night, after owning it a week. I was at a poker game for 4 hours and in that time I ran Pandora almost the whole time, browsed the web for about an hour total, sent and received some texts (not many) replied to a few emails (I have 2 POP accounts that check every 15 minutes) and did some other minor fiddling. When I got there, battery was at 95% and when I left it was 68%. I think that's acceptable performance for a battery of this size. I may or may not buy the extended life battery.
    I've had both and Instinct and an HTC Touch Pro, and both of these had disappointing battery life as well. The Instinct even came with two batteries when purchased! Battery Life on the Touch Pro under normal usage was somewhat worse than on my Pre under the same conditions.

Because of the other benefits of the phone, I learned to make adjustments. I'm aware of the battery life, so I simply plan ahead. There is no miracle cure to make the batteries in smart phones last longer. They are basically pocket sized laptop computers, and are going to consume power as such.

Just like you would on your computer, make some adjustments to preserve what you can of the battery life. As I learned with the Instinct, a second battery and charger is THE smart investment (and way more practical than the cool factor of the Touchstone).
    Quote Originally Posted by robbys22 View Post
    I've had both and Instinct and an HTC Touch Pro, and both of these had disappointing battery life as well. The Instinct even came with two batteries when purchased! Battery Life on the Touch Pro under normal usage was somewhat worse than on my Pre under the same conditions.

Because of the other benefits of the phone, I learned to make adjustments. I'm aware of the battery life, so I simply plan ahead. There is no miracle cure to make the batteries in smart phones last longer. They are basically pocket sized laptop computers, and are going to consume power as such.

Just like you would on your computer, make some adjustments to preserve what you can of the battery life. As I learned with the Instinct, a second battery and charger is THE smart investment (and way more practical than the cool factor of the Touchstone).
    Why I agree with the premise of your post, the problem lies in that we have such a wide variation in battery performance with the Pre right now. When I have a strong EVDO signal (whether using WiFI simultaneously or not) I get very good battery life. For instance, at the place I work I get 4-5 bars all day long. After 3 hours idle time I'm going to lose maybe 3% battery life tops. At home, where with other Sprint PDA phones I used to run at least 3 bars, I now consistently run 1 maybe 2 bars (there is quite a bit of fluctuation) and after 3 hours of idle time I'll be down at least 10% of battery life. Over the day you can see how using the phone's features at all with a poor signal just creams the battery. That is the part that I personally cannot accept.

So at home I've learned to change my cell service to 1xRTT only, and then use WiFi to connect to my home internet. This helps tremendously, and almost puts it on par with just being in a good signal area.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I unsynced my facebook account with over 500 contacts and immidiatly have seen battery improvment. at 11pm last nite i had 57% and this morning at 7am I was only down to 52%. Not bad...
    Some time ago, Dieter summarized dozens of threads on Battery Life. They are in this thread with links to his excellent discussion:

Improving Battery Life

- Craig
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast