• About 10 minutes of Calls
    • No web browsing yet today
    • Checked Tweed 6 times today

Battery @ 100% at 7:00AM
    Battery @ 90% at 11:30AM
    I lost almost 10% in 2 hours this morning ON AIRPLANE MODE without wifi on
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I lost almost 10% in 2 hours this morning ON AIRPLANE MODE without wifi on
    Any apps running? I would try a reboot. and see where it goes from there. Perhaps a bad battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by zhensley View Post
    The answer is not found in contacts. The answer is found in the fact that there are defective units out there. My phone was losing 10-12% every hour on idle - with or without exchange/facebook/google/etc. I took my phone back, got a replacement, and now I lose 2% per hour on idle with exchange/facebook/google/etc. all on my phone.

End of story - there DEFINITELY ARE defective units out there. The Sprint people told me the battery life was a known issue and nothing would change with my new phone. I told them I thought they were wrong, and they were.

If you have one of these phones that is losing 10-12% an hour no matter what you do, you need to take it back and get a replacement. Life is so much less frustrating with a phone that works properly.
    What color was your box on your second pre? so far I'm on my 2nd pre, both white boxes and terrible battery life.. 4hrs on pandora, no wi fi, no bluetooth, no gps, no phone calls, no gmail or hotmail, yahoo email set to check manually only and ive received 5 -6 texts (sprint only enabled) and my pre is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    FWIW...I have the following:
    • No FB sync
    • No EAS
    • Gmail Push - On
    • POP3 Email - every 30 minutes
    • Location / GPS - ON
    • Bluetooth Off
    • WiFi On
    • About 10 minutes of Calls
    • No web browsing yet today
    • Checked Tweed 6 times today

Battery @ 100% at 7:00AM
    Battery @ 90% at 11:30AM
    I'll trade phones with ya! Well that would be one way for me to test to see if signal loss is also playing a part. Yesterday from a full charge, I've keep just about everything off, minimum browsing, no calls and within the hour I'd dropped to 80%....something ain't right.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhensley View Post
    The answer is not found in contacts. The answer is found in the fact that there are defective units out there. My phone was losing 10-12% every hour on idle - with or without exchange/facebook/google/etc. I took my phone back, got a replacement, and now I lose 2% per hour on idle with exchange/facebook/google/etc. all on my phone.

End of story - there DEFINITELY ARE defective units out there. The Sprint people told me the battery life was a known issue and nothing would change with my new phone. I told them I thought they were wrong, and they were.

If you have one of these phones that is losing 10-12% an hour no matter what you do, you need to take it back and get a replacement. Life is so much less frustrating with a phone that works properly.
    I'm inclined to believe this. Didn't replace mine within the 30 days, but I'm getting closer to doing something. Otherwise, my Pre is great, though... Would really prefer that the battery was defective than the Pre itself.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vincey2kr1 View Post
    What color was your box on your second pre? so far I'm on my 2nd pre, both white boxes and terrible battery life.. 4hrs on pandora, no wi fi, no bluetooth, no gps, no phone calls, no gmail or hotmail, yahoo email set to check manually only and ive received 5 -6 texts (sprint only enabled) and my pre is dead.
    They were both the white/yellow box.

4 hours on Pandora not on WIFI is bound to kill your battery though. I think I lose about 1% every 3 or 4 minutes with Pandora streaming on EVDO. That would be the first thing I would kick. I'd also take yahoo off of manual and put it on every hour or so (not sure if they fixed the manual bug yet?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidimba View Post
    Its the Exchange Activesync for sure.
    Microsoft "Push" technology on Exchange is a mechanism that allways checks connection with the Server so that there is a constant sognaling going on with intervals that vary based on the"Heartbeet" variant.
    this meens that even if you dont get emails you will still shorten the battery life.
    if you disble the exchange PUSH feature and set to manual sync or once an hour you will see that the battery life will be significantly better.
    So true, right when I got my pre I hooked it into works EAS and my battery dropped from 90% to 60% in just a few hours. When I felt the heat of the phone and saw the battery drop so fast I knew something was up with EAS. I set the refresh time to 10 min. and now I can go a day and a half without charging.
    Last edited by jhebert121; 07/07/2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    I'll trade phones with ya! Well that would be one way for me to test to see if signal loss is also playing a part. Yesterday from a full charge, I've keep just about everything off, minimum browsing, no calls and within the hour I'd dropped to 80%....something ain't right.
    How's your Sprint reception/coverage? You're signal bars all over the place?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhebert121 View Post
    So true, right when I go my pre I hooked it into works EAS and my battery dropped from 90% to 60% in just a few hours. When I felt the heat of the phone and saw the battery drop so fast I knew something was up with EAS. I set the refresh time to 10 min. and now I can go a day and a half without charging.
    Turn it back on, you won't notice a difference. Your battery was just conditioning. I had the same thing but didnt change my settings and get 40 hours of batt life with push turned on.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Turn it back on, you won't notice a difference. Your battery was just conditioning. I had the same thing but didnt change my settings and get 40 hours of batt life with push turned on.
    Will this hold true with me getting an average of an e-mail every 5 minutes?
    I probably lose 10 / hour, with my work email set to "as items arrive". I have to believe that I could get better life by setting it to check battery life hourly or manually, but I'd rather sacrifice a bit of battery life for the convenience of push mail
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane350 View Post
    How do you enable CPU-Scaling?
    Apparently this is one of those tricky techniques that start with getting "root access" to you phone then typing in cryptic commands in Linux. Or so I gather from this:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...u-scaling.html

Not for a beginner.
  13. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Any apps running? I would try a reboot. and see where it goes from there. Perhaps a bad battery?
    Nope, nothing running. I got a new battery yesterday from Sprint because my first one did the same thing and I rebooted it last night. So far it's not looking promising with the new battery but I'll give it until the end of the week before I call Palm to make sure the battery gets conditioned. So far that's my only real complaint about the phone (reception could be a bit better and my slider is a bit loose but nothing to get worked up over). I love it but it doesn't do me much good if I have to charge it non-stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    .....reception could be a bit better .....
    this could be your problem. If you are searching for a signal or go into roaming, it will beat-up your battery life.
    Has anyone changed the Notifications? I find that if I set everything to not show notifications, my battery life is better than if I get the Notifications.

Email>Preferences>click each account>New Message>Show Notification and Play Sound OFF
    Messeaging>Preferences>New Message>Show Notification and Play Sound OFF

Setting it like this really helps. I keep going back and forth, due to my liking the ability to change my Notification Sound http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ng-needed.html
    How's your Sprint reception/coverage? You're signal bars all over the place?
    Depends on location. At home in my bedroom solid bars, in my living room all over the place, every now and then I drop in and out of roam. At work, no sprint coverage in the building, however, I drop in and out of Roaming constantly with the phone sitting in one place on my desk. I had this happen with the Instinct as well and complained over and over to sprint because my PPC never did it, but then I also had a roam only function on that device. They did send an update that seemed to fix the issue somewhat on the Instinct.

OT..kind of. Is it just me or are the devices getting worse in terms of reception. It seems like I get less reliability with each new device.
  17. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    this could be your problem. If you are searching for a signal or go into roaming, it will beat-up your battery life.
    I would agree but I work with my fiance and we're in the same buildings about 95% of the day and she still gets about 50% less battery usage a day than me. We also get 5 bars about 75% of the day. If I didn't have another phone to compare it to I might consider mine normal, however, with hers having the same settings and being in the same place yet the battery lasting so much longer than mine, I just think it's a phone issue. Hers is 2-3 weeks newer than mine.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Assuming your fiance is female, I bet she keeps her phone in her purse and you keep your phone in your pocket. The signal strength variation probably is greater for the pocket carrying person, throughout the day. If there is a relationship between signal strength variation and power consumption, this may be a reason for the differences in power consumption.

A more reliable comparision test would be to have both the phones in the same enironment for a couple of days.
    You guys are trying to seek patterns in random data. Next we'll hear that always using your phone only in landscape mode improves the battery. Or spinning in circles while using it.

Read about fun experiments in superstitions here:
    B. F. Skinner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The answer is the signal... I get good battery life when I am in a good signal area, and crap when I'm not, simple as that.
    My weekends are usually spent in crap signal area's and battery sucks, all week I use the phone a ton more and easily get a day's use from battery.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast