Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The placement of the charging/usb port bugs me. Very inconvenient to talk on phone and or use phone with the cord plugged in... I like them better on bottom. But thats just me.

Anyone?
    Im fine with it.
    It hasn't beena a problem for me.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    get the touchstone. I haven't messed with the stupid port since I bought it.
    I'd prefer it on the bottom, but I'm OK with it on the side, if that's where it has to be. I'd just prefer it be the left side instead of the right. As I'm right handed, I tend to hold the phone with my right hand. The cord ends up being a pretty serious hindrance to holding the phone comfortably and securely. If it were on the other side, it could stick out between my fingers, no problem. But as it is, it wants to go through my thumb, which is obviously impossible. I'm not that good a magician.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I find it a lot easier to talk with the slider open while the phone is plugged in. It gives you something to hold on to below the charging port.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    I would need three touchstones, One for car one for office and one for Home.. Would cost more then phone! I'm waiting for breakdown on parts so i can build my own!
    Its fine for me! I haven't had any problems with it yet! I do have to wiggle to open the door, but its not that bad! So I deal with the charging port! I also have a touchstone so its not that bad either!
    I LOVE my Touchstones. I keep one by my bed, and I've got another mounted in my car. However, it's not really reasonable to suggest that simply getting a touchstone will solve the problem with the jack placement. Some of us do have to plug in fairly often, Touchstone or no Touchstone.

Long conversations are a good example. Talking for a couple of hours or more will kill the battery. It's not always appropriate to talk on speaker, and I don't always have a headset with me, so the Touchstone isn't always a viable option. In order to use the phone as a handset instead of a speaker, I keep one charger with a long USB cord in my living room, and I plug the phone into my computer when I'm in my office.

Data, of course, is another example. Those of us who regularly transfer files to and from the Pre obviously have to plug it in a lot. I guess transfer over WiFi is an option, but I haven't tried to set that up yet. It's much simpler just to use the USB drive feature.

And then there's travel. It's pretty easy to keep a USB cord in my laptop bag, so I can plug in whenever I need to. It's quite a taller order to also squeeze in a charger base and a touchstone into an already over-crowded space that I'm trying to keep as slim as possible. And that's before even thinking about what the Touchstone's magnets might do to the laptop.

Plus, as much as it might be nice to have a Touchstone on my desk, or even on an end table in the living roon, I just can't justify the cost of buying more of them. I've already bought two at $60 a pop, and that's enough to spend.
    It hasn't been a major problem. I charge at night using the touchstone, but use the USB cord at work from time to time to "top off". I do think their placement could have been better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Its fine for me! I haven't had any problems with it yet! I do have to wiggle to open the door, but its not that bad! So I deal with the charging port! I also have a touchstone so its not that bad either!
    Five sentences, five exclamation marks. I think you've exceeded your quota.

About the port, there is no optimal placement. We would complain about it no matter where it was. My solution is to use the Touchstone at work where I need to switch frequently between charging and not charging, and use the charging port for charging at night. Only 1 Touchstone, and I'm only inconvenienced by the charging port when I'm not using the phone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Read the subject of this thread and you'll see why I did that
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Read the subject of this thread and you'll see why I did that
    Yeah Yeah.. A subtle flame. It's all good though My point was heard the same.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ch0de_Stl View Post
    I would need three touchstones, One for car one for office and one for Home.. Would cost more then phone! I'm waiting for breakdown on parts so i can build my own!
    Why? You phone doesn't have to sit on the charger ALL day. You can pick up a two-pack at Best Buy for $69.99. One for home, and one for either the car or office. Or better yet, just pick up the Touchstone when you leave work and put it in your car. Brilliant! You'd probably have to buy a car charger too, but ultimately you could avoid the USB cable most of the time.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    but doesn't the touch stone charge like 25% slower or something like that?
    or is that just people making a big deal about nothing and trying to critique everything possible about the palm pre?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    yeah, touchstone all the way. I have no need to open the door unless syncing files to my PC.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I agree that placement of the USB port on the side is bad. It's not just a matter of talking, it's also difficult to pick up the phone in the car (with right hand) when it's connected to the charger. I'm used to the connector at the bottom on my Treo 650. So, maybe I'm just resistant to change (but I still prefer that location)...

FWIW, because of the right side placement, I find that it works best to have the phone face down or face away when you pick it up while driving. There's an additional benefit in doing that as it keeps the speaker unobstructed (every bit of ringing volume can help in the car).

This probably won't work so great if you're using some kind of mount...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    You can pick up a two-pack at Best Buy for $69.99.
    Wasn't that offer a typo? Notice it's no longer on Best Buy's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Or better yet, just pick up the Touchstone when you leave work and put it in your car.
    I have to ask, do you actually own a Touchstone? I'm guessing you don't. Mounting it in a car is not as simple as you might think, especially if your car's interior consoles have matted surfaces. The micro-suction material on the bottom of the Touchstone takes a good day or so to settle into the crevices of a matted surface, in order to stick on securely. Then, if you remove it, it takes quite a while to straighten back out to the point that it will stick securely to a smooth surface.

The Touchstone is not intended to be portable. It's meant to stay where it's put. Picking it up and moving it a few times a day will likely damage the microsuction material over time. If you want to use the Touchstone in multiple locations, you really need multiple Touchstones.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    The biggest problem that I have with the side charge door is when I'm using the GPS while driving. I can put my Pre in my old Treo car cradle just fine but if I need to charge it while it is in the cradle it is impossible. That's a little frustrating.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast