Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I bet this might be a quality control issue and palm or sprint wants to slow down for a second see whats up? Maybe start screening out bad units that are already shipping before they get sold or they changed something at the manufactoring plant and needs to get more of the improved phones out. Sprint isnt happy about the bad press with faulty phones and neither is Palm. But really palm has been producing a ton of phones each day. so i doubt they dont have enough.
    korwin do not expect the same level of Exchange ActiveSync functionality on today's Pre as you currently have with WinMo devices. Palm acknowledged EAS was limited the day after launch, and pledged to have it "fixed" in 60 days. I really loved my Pre, but couldn't keep it due to the EAS limitations. Unless you want to be the IT whipping boy, I would avoid the Pre until they fix EAS. Once that happens, game on! And hopefully at that time they will have more units for sale, too. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
    korwin do not expect the same level of Exchange ActiveSync functionality on today's Pre as you currently have with WinMo devices. Palm acknowledged EAS was limited the day after launch, and pledged to have it "fixed" in 60 days. I really loved my Pre, but couldn't keep it due to the EAS limitations. Unless you want to be the IT whipping boy, I would avoid the Pre until they fix EAS. Once that happens, game on! And hopefully at that time they will have more units for sale, too. ;-)
    On both my Mogul and my Touch Pro, connecting to my work Exchange server was painful. Not sure what the problem was, but I needed to log into OWA first and then log in through EAS a few times before the connection would take. Then, invariably (and I do mean, invariably), either contacts or the calendar would get some corrupted record (or something, never could figure it out) and EAS would stop working until I turned off sync for one or more services, synced, and then reconnected. Sometimes that worked, sometimes it didn't.

Short version: I found EAS with my Windows Mobile phones to be a pain in the arse and so inconsistent that I gave up on actually using it for anything except email. Connecting with my Pre, however, once Palm fixed the non-SSL bug, has been effortless and reliable. Yes, some things aren't supported yet (PIN, remote wipe, and creating invites), but even in its current incarnation I'm better off.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I know one thing, store here in SE Florida have stock for new buyers. Call for an exchange and they are sold out.
    It's pretty interesting actually. I was waitlisted at two different sprint stores, and a Best Buy. One Sprint store called to tell me they had a Pre for me. The other one which was much closer to me did not have them and didn't even know when they would get them. Then my local Best Buy called and said if I pre-ordered (no pun intended) and put $50.00 down they could get them quicker. I opted to go that route... since Best Buy was doing the $100.00 rebate instantly. I got my Pre on a Thurday night. It died overnight on the charger. It was literally fried. It was pretty problematic to begin with though so I figure it was a defective unit. I went to Best Buy Friday morning to return it... and they had no Pre's to exchange, but they had one that was being reserved for a wait listed person that didn't pre-order. The guy felt bad for me and said the person on the waitlist was notified but had 24 hours to respond. They didn't so Friday evening I got the replacement Pre. It is much better and trouble free now for 4 days. The Sprint store right across the street has yet to call me to tell me my pre is in.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The Pre will be unavailable in consumer telesales, though I imagine that corporate telesales will still sell them.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    Depends on where you live. I've been on the "waiting list" for a replacement Pre for almost 2 weeks. When I asked 2 weeks ago, the store said they had about 250 people on the waiting list for the Pre's. Needless to say, that store is out of stock.
    I'm in Louisville and exchanged my PRE yesterday.
    FWIW
    i agree
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    One of my local non-corp store has been getting 10-15 Pre's every 4-7 days and they are selling out consistantly... I am close with the manager...

He actually calls me for tips cause he knows I have been obsessed with the Pre since January ... ( I bought 6 on launch day... all different users)
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I called telesales on Thursday afternoon and ordered my new Pre. (existing customer). The UPS tracking number was delivered Friday afternoon, and I got my new Pre overnighted, and was here Monday afternoon.

So how can the stocks be so low, when they told me the wait would be 5-7 days, and they ship it out in less than 24 hours?

It seems inconsistant to me, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Not sure on that...there are sources indicating that the Pre inventories are fine.

see TechCrunch article: Maybe The Palm Pre Isnít Selling So Well, After All

Not sure what to believe anymore. I wish Palm/sprint would just start sharing info.
    I believe that was a sample of like 50 stores, some would not comment on inventory levels so I would not take that as authorative fact...instead i would take the Maybe in the articles header to mean that it's a guess..
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    I bet this might be a quality control issue and palm or sprint wants to slow down for a second see whats up? Maybe start screening out bad units that are already shipping before they get sold or they changed something at the manufactoring plant and needs to get more of the improved phones out. Sprint isnt happy about the bad press with faulty phones and neither is Palm. But really palm has been producing a ton of phones each day. so i doubt they dont have enough.
    The only press(main stream, meaning non-techie sites) I have seen recently about defective phones has been articles on the 3GS overheating...I dont think its really an issue with them, but being the front runner exposes the target on your back to the rest of the field.

I read on somewhere that palm has doubled their daily or was it weekly? order to 30K or something from foxxconn....I mean even at 30K/day that's probally 1 phone per authorised sales channel a day...30K is still not alot...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    ( I bought 6 on launch day... all different users)
    I hope so! hahaha
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    I was told by Sprint the entire U.S. stock is "yellow" meaning less than 4000 devices in stock. They said it could turn red at any moment. Not sure what that means, but in the end it means nuthin but being in the BLACK for Sprint / Palm!
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    I'm in Louisville and exchanged my PRE yesterday.
    FWIW
    What did you exchange it for? I am getting close to needing an upgrade through sprint as my treo 755's keyboard is getting really wacky.

Did you go with a blackberry when you exchanged the pre?
    Glad I got mine when I did. I'd guess inventory is the issue if they are halting telesales (how I obtained mine) AND still not selling online. I couldn't find any in stock here in Fayetteville, NC (or in the East Bay, CA when I was visiting during the first week of release) when I was still looking.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    What did you exchange it for? I am getting close to needing an upgrade through sprint as my treo 755's keyboard is getting really wacky.

Did you go with a blackberry when you exchanged the pre?
    I got another PRE. The store agreed to let me try a second PRE for a couple of weeks to see if I still have reception issues. If I return it I'll probably go with the BB Tour. It's supposed to be released by Sprint on the 20th. I initially thought I would go back to my Centro until Sprint came out with a hardware fix for the PRE's reception issues. Reading on the forums, I don't know how likely that will be. Wish the new hardware rumor was true because I really like the PRE.
    This is also the same for Palm Pro Best Buy says their discontnued. They only have the unlocked and ATT versions available but none for sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    The Pre is selling quite well. Sprint stores are still largely sold out. Telesales will stop selling the Pre (for now) but stores will continue to sell them.
    That is understood. The question is why???

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Not sure on that...there are sources indicating that the Pre inventories are fine.
    Southwestern Pennsylvania is completely cleared out. Local Best Buy said they got 2 in for release day and one more since.

Personally, I'd expect web/direct sales to start back once inventory stabilizes.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast